1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conflict with Afterdawn and Trend Micro PC Cillin

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by fryerider, Jun 23, 2007.

1. fryerider

fryerider Member

I recently changed my virus/spyware protection to Trend Micro PC Cillin. Now when I come on the Afterdawn site I get a red flag warning that this site is dangerous. Can anyone tell me what this is about, and why it would warn me about this? I have gained great knowledge here, and trust this site completely, so what doesn't Trend Micro?

Thanks for helping me clear this up!

Fryerider

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum so that site admin can see your post.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

there's a new one, some of our posters may be dangerous but i wouldn't say the site is dangerous :)

4. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

fryerider, this is what you need to do within Trend Micro

you need to go to "Internet and Email Controls" and turn off "Web Site Filter" this is what it needs to look like below vvvvvv

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  5. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I'm curious to know why Trend Micro has decided to flag our site as dangerous, whereas more popular, similar product, SiteAdvisor (now owned by McAfee) hands us "green" flag.

Well, maybe they don't like our site's content ;-) But in any case, this would be nice to know as I can't imagine any reason why any "website safety advisor" program would flag our site as dangerous, as we don't host any spyware tools, dont have popups and every darn spammer knows that spam messages get removed within seconds (with permanent ban) by our team of mods.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  6. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

dRD this is what comes up with "Trend Micro" if the "Web Filter" is activated

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

when i typed that into my address bar & press enter, it just shows the word "stuff" on my screen.

8. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

stuff2 is the domain that loads the news box (into an IFRAME) you see at the bottom of each forum thread. It doesn't have ads, etc, it simply just holds AfterDawn's latest news. Weird.

9. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

yeah the warning doesn't pop up when you open the Afterdawn homepage the warning just pops up when you click a thread link. for whatever reason Trend Micro has tagged the site

10. ireland

ireland Active member

I wonder if this is why Trend Micro PC Cillin. Gave the warning.

I got a Malware or virus program a month ago…installed on my computer..here at afterdawn.(first one)

Here’s how I got it,I was typing a message, and spelled checked lt.. Continued on with out looking up at the screen, then looked up nothing was typed in the message after the spell check next thing something was installing on my computer.from the afterdawn website Thought nothing about it until I went to back up my computer with ghost later in the day.the program would not work in dos… or could I use ghost restore or ghost back-up.i never found out what it was...
    This happened 4-20-07

Note:i had only one screen open.what ever that installed messed up ghost, did not work right even after a ghost reinstall.

Note: the day be-4 I did a back up with out a problem. The only way to restore to a early date was using the ghost floppy to restore the computer to a early date.4-19-07

Note: I backup my computer if I am installing a major program

11. fryerider

fryerider Member

Hi Guys -

Thanks for the feedback! That red security window is the exact one I see every time I go to Afterdawn. But I'm afraid to turn off the web site filter for fear of truly dangerous sites I might somehow stumble into. What do you guys think about that?

Thanks in advance for your help with this!

Fryerider

12. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

fryerider, I've had Trend Micro for three years plus and never had a problem with it being turned off

13. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

We've been trying to get Trend Micro to fix the problem with their software for quite a while now. Until they actually get around to actually doing something besides bouncing us from department to another, I'd strongly urge you to look to other software solutions, such as Avast.

That's not even remotely possible (something being installed from AfterDawn.com). The problems you had with Norton Ghost were related to something else.