1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about CloneDVD & copy size

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by eddalex, Sep 7, 2004.

1. eddalex

eddalex Newbie

I just downloaded the new version of CloneDVD2 version 2.4.3.5.

I have just attempted to backup an old Paul Newman movie, The "Verdict." Essentially, there is a 2:09 movie plus a 10 featurette to back up. My big surprise is that CloneDVD indicated that this would copy with only poor quality (in the yellow zone near the red). A standard DVD-5, holds 2 hours uncompressed, so why would this 2:19 have to be compressed so much that only poor picture quality would be produced?

Okay, so I pulled out another old movie, "Gross Pointe Blank." CloneDVD indicated that there were 2 titles on the disk, both of which seem to be the entire movie. The both run 1:47. One is labeled "angel 2"and the other "angel 2." CloneDVD seems be happy to compress both of these onto a DVD-5 with good quality (in the green zone).

So I don't know what's going on here.

1) Why won't the smaler "The Verdict" compress while the nearly twice as large "Gross Pointe Blank" compresses easily???? and ..

2) What do the "angle 1" and "angle 2" mean?

Edd

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

What is the size in GB of each disc as reported by Windows Explorer?

3. eddalex

eddalex Newbie

"Grosse Pointe Blank" runs 2:19 at 4.28 Gb
    "The Verdict" (I'm having trouble believing this) runs twice 1:47 at 7.22 Gb

I understand how 7.22 can fit on a dual layered commercial disk, but why would a plain old 2 hour movie take up that much space?

Edd

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The extra size could be attributed to several things such as having both a widescreen and full screen version, multiple audio tracks in 5.1 or DTS eat up a lot of space as well as all the extras :)

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

eddalex

A movie can be larger for any number of reasons that have nothing to do with its length. It could be choked full of trailers or have multiple language soundtrack, or even interviews and extras added by the director, and as Neph stated it might have both wide and 4:3 versions. Your options are do a movie only backup which drops all the extras and greatly reduces the file size. Use a DVD editing application such as DVDremake which can be complicated for a beginner, but there is a guide for it here on AD. A third possibility is to use another transcoder such as DVD Shrink which is also free here at AD but it has several quality settings and a movie only backup mode.