1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

confused about divx/xvid

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by ianmerc, Feb 19, 2007.

1. ianmerc

ianmerc Guest

Hello everyone
    I hope I am in the right forum here.
    I am a little confused about divx/xvid. If I have mpeg files on my computer are they divx files or xvid files? Obviously they are compressed files. The reason I ask is that I want to purchase a DVD player that plays divx media. The vast majority of my files are mpeg. Any feedback is most welcome.

2. OneMember

OneMember Active member

You mean MPEG-2 or MPEG-1?
    - No, they are not made using divx or xvid codecs.

If you have .avi files they might be divx or xvid files.
    Use Gspot so see what codecs they use.
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  3. ianmerc

ianmerc Guest

Thanks for the reply one member. I have used g spot which was very good. it appears that i have mpeg1 and mpeg2 plus avi. It shows as n.a. when showing the codec for the mpeg files. shows as divx codec for avi files. Do you know how to make my mpeg files divx?
    by the way my son says his mpeg files play on hiss phillips dvd player dv642. Is that possible?

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

No real reason why you couldn't store MPEG-4 video (Xvid/DivX are ASP MPEG-4 Part 2 video codecs) in a PS/TS mpeg container.

Any half decent (I wouldn't describe the 642 as half decent) MPEG-4/avi compatible SAP will also handle raw mpeg files. So there shouldn't be any need to convert.

5. ianmerc

ianmerc Guest

Wonderful.
    Thank you very much for your help. Appreciate the input very much.