1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

confused about Nero OEM and Nero 6 Ultra Editon

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by ricsalt, Nov 27, 2004.

1. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

Hi,

I presently have Nero OEM 6.3.1.12 which came bundled with my Sony DL drive. I tried to upgrade to 6.6 from the Nero website and had trouble with the new version, especially nerovision 3 so I uninstalled it and re-installed my disk version 6.3.1.12.

Today while looking at the Nero download page, I finally realized that there are different versions. There is a version 6.3.1.25, which I guess is an "update" for my version 6.3.1.12

The Nero website says that "Nero 6.3.1.25 is not compatible to the new Nero 6 Ultra Editon Update - Version 6.6"

This probably explains why it hasn't been working for me.

I take it I need to buy Nero 6 Ultra Edition along with a new serial number ?

Any help appreciated

2. XdjxedxdX

XdjxedxdX Regular member

i got what ya need check your mail tomorrow {sun.}

3. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

I found the answer on the Nero website. In order to get 6.6 I have to buy it as a new product. My version is OEM which comes when you buy a new drive. Oh well- I wish Nero had made that clear because when I launch Nero Start Smart and look at my serial number, it also lists the version and lists the latest with a download link. I thought that whenever a newer version came out, I could "update". However this is considered an "upgrade". Clever linguistics issues at play in this modern world, "Oh, what have we wrought" and all that good stuff !

4. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  5. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Ricsalt,

Looks like we still need to work on our explanations. :)

Nero does offer free upgrades up till the next 'major upgrade'. We started off with Nero 6.0x, and then when Nero 6.3x came out we offered it as a free upgrade to all, and now Nero 6.6.x has come out and we are still offering it as a free upgrade to all.

So you can upgrade to Nero 6.3.1.25 if you like, or you can upgrade to Nero 6.6.0.1

However, this is only an upgrade from OEM to OEM, and Retail to Retail. Meaning, if you have a Nero 6.3 OEM version, then when you upgrade it will be Nero 6.6 OEM, not the Nero 6 Ultra Edition which is the Retail version. To upgrade from Nero 6.3-6.6 OEM to Nero 6.6 Retail we charge $49.99

Regards,

Craig
    Ahead Software
    USA