1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

confused... comp shuts off, shows red light and beeps a lot.. help?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by duboy1, May 31, 2007.

1. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

Hello. I have a problem with a desktop comp i made. it has an Abit sg-80 mobo with a celeron d 2.9 processor. This is the comp i use at home and i take my laptop to school with me and so i didnt use this comp that much througout the year. I recently booted it up and now my computer just beeps and shows the red led light in front of the computer. After i hit reset several times, i sometimes and get it to start up, but then when its on for a while it turns off again. Just to say, i also removed the ram, tried bootin the comp, didnt work, and then i reput the ram in and then it worked until it turned off. Can anyone help me with this problem because i am thoroughly confused. Thanks!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

use a pencil eraser on the gold contacts on the ram. check the can shaped objects on the motherboard which are capacitors are flat topped & not domed. try another psu for the same reason because you can't see it's caps unless you open it up..

3. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

How many beeps? one short, your ok. one long, could be ram. 3 beeps ram banks didn't pass could have bad dimm. if intermittent on type of beeps your getting probally bad ram module.
    OR
    A power supply problem if the system will boot on occasion, run, then turn off unexpectedly after some use.

If you have more than one ram module try removing one see if same trouble occurs, if not remove one try the other. this will tell you if you have a bad ram module or two. ALSO try ddp suggestion ram contacts should be shiny.
    If both do same thing and if you have acces to another power supply try changing it out if you feel comfortable doing it.

Be sure to ground yourself when fooling with anything in the case.... static discharge is a bad thing!!!!

try this link to see a good pics on blown mb capacitor
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

4. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

None of my capacitors are blown, my ram is shiny, and I dont have a spare psu to test with. Could it be that my actual piece of ram is bad, although it worked for a while before?

5. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Yes its very possible. If you have two sticks try one then the other to see if the problem persists.