1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused on what to use to copy DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bigdm, Oct 26, 2004.

1. bigdm

bigdm Member

Hi,
    I have a copy of DVD XCOPY GOLD v3.0.4 and have made backup DVDs with XCOPY EXPRESS with no issues. I now would like to make backup DVD copies without the 321 disclaimer. I have several software that I can use but am not sure which combination works best or should I use freeware software such as DVDShrink and DVD Decrypter.
    I want a setup in which my wife can use. She knows little about computers but if I create a simple guide she will feel comfortable enough to try. I have the following software:
    Nero6 Ultra Edition (latest updates)
    Nero Recode2 (latest updates)
    Xcopy Express with ripper
    Xcopy (don't know if with ripper)
    DVD43
    AnyDVD

I now want to create backups with menu, subtitles, and no disclaimer where they all fit on one dvd5 with as little compression as possible. I have read where several of the softwares packed with Nero have been used to backup DVDs and am confuse as to which one to use if at all.

System
    HP Pavillion a250y
    DVD writer
    DVD ROM
    XP Pro
    NAV
    Cyberarmor Firewall

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

bigdm,
    here is a little progy that will remove the 321 intro on dvdxcopy xpress. http://psidoc0.tripod.com/ I would recommend dvd shrink. It is a free program that does a very good job and is highly used and recommended on this site. It's nice to have some different backup software if for some reason one doesn't work right on a particular backup. You can find the link to download it under the software tab at the top. There are also several guides under the guide tab. Then if you have problems there is a special forum just for dvd shrink. I have dvdxcopy xpress and dvd shrink and use them both.

Oh I forgot to mention dvd shrink allows you to incorporate nero into the program as the burning utility since you already have nero.

3. tater9104

tater9104 Guest

Hey...

Have you had a chance to check out DVD shrink? This is a great authoring tool that allows you to keep most of the movie and control the amount of compression that goes on. Basically, you stick in your movie, and allow the shrink to read it. Then it brings up a screen with everything the movie has on it and the amount of memory requireed for what is selected. Then, if you need to , you can unselect some features to lower the memory and decrease the amount of compression required. If you have nero, the program will initilize itself and you do not have to even fool with it. This is a very easy program to use, your wife would have no probs with it, I think.

The only problem that you will run in to is thes LARGE DVD 9 movies that you occasionally run in to. If you use the Shrink, you will either have to cut almost everything but the movie and then deal with a lot of compression or you will have to spilt the movie into two parts. That, however, is a different ball game.

Hope this helps...

Later,
    Tater...

4. bigdm

bigdm Member

First of all I would like to thank everyone who has replied to my message to give help.

I don't want to use Xcopy Xpress any longer since it does not allow me to keep the menus or subtitles and I believe if I were to make a copy of the backup with Nero that would remove the disclaimer, but I have never tried that.

Although I have never used DVDShrink I had read the guide on how to use it many months ago and read the many post on how it automaticly recognizes Nero. If I recall from the guide I need to use DVD Decrypter, then DVDShrink and finally Nero. I have no problem with that but my wife may.

With the Nero package it had this Nero Recode2 software which I read in the forum somewhere that this was written by the same person who wrote DVDShrink but with a better graphic user interface. In addition, software like AnyDVD or DVD43 will automaticly remove the copy protection while running Recode2 thus not needing DVD Decrypter. The burn is probably done by Nero6 but am not sure if Recode2 does the burn as well.

My confusion is that I do not see many post on folks using Recode2 so although it maybe produced by the same person who wrote DVDShrink is it just as good or better. The integration of it all would be easier for my wife to handle but I don't want to end up with crappy backups either or coasters. If using the freeware software along with Nero is better than I may elect to go that route.

My original post was long so I left out some details so I hope this helps.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

All you need is dvd shrink. You can use dvd decryptor as a burning utility if you don't have one and it's free also. Shrink will break the copy right, compress to fit on a dvd-5, and encode. Some people like to rip the dvd with decryptor (and you can make some custom moifications as well, but it gets comlicated and it doesn't sound like you want that). Once in a while you might come across a dvd that shrink doesn't like and then sometimes you can make it work if you rip it with decryptor first but usually it isn't necessary.

Recode2 is not free you will have to purchase the progy. I don't know if it offers a free trial period, I don't think so. There are other backup programs out there that are superior to shrink, but unless you have a big screen tv and eye for detail you can't tell any difference. I have a 52" bigscreen and can't tell any difference between the original and the backup made with shrink.

As far as coasters go, they are seldom caused by the backup program, usually poor media, excessive burn speed, compatability issues with either the burner or the stand-alone dvd player, or human error.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  6. bigdm

bigdm Member

Sorry for the delay in replying back to the thread. I was tied up with family business last night. Thanks again for your comments. I will download DVDShrink and keep it as a backup but will use recode2 as my primary ripper.