1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

confused with ddr memory with my standard laptop

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by reader34, Sep 2, 2004.

1. reader34

reader34 Regular member

hi ive just ordered some hp laptop 256 ddr memory. currently in use ive got one 256 mb in the ram space, which of 64 mb is taken away for the graphics card. now im left with 192mb left. when i get my 256 ddr through the door, which does ddr mean dubble memory so if im correct i would have 512, take a bit away for the graphics and then i would have 448. Right so if i put that in with the normal laptop ram would i have 704 mb. i have a hp pavilion laptop with amd xp 2200 with windows xp. i hope anyone repleys becasue im a bit cheesed off, with the ram i have now.
    thanks reader34

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  2. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

hello reader 34,
    DDR stands for double data rate not double memory.
    If you put another stick of 256Mb ram in you laptop it will add to the 192Mb you already got giving you a total of 448Mb.
    Your laptop allocated 64Mb of ram from the original stick to the onboard graphics. It won't take any more off the second stick.

3. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

DDR stands double data rate which means the rate at which the data is sent to the proc is doubled. This is like having double standard memory but instead totals up less.
    So you would have 448mb ddr with the gfx already allocated.
    So you would have 512mb ddr memory in your laptop overall, which would be the equivelent of 1gb of standard ram.

4. reader34

reader34 Regular member

ok thanks
    reader34