1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connect my pc to a TV

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by D-block, Aug 10, 2004.

1. D-block

D-block Member

I apologize i have strong feeling that this question is been answered or discussed before. But i can’t find.
    My question is what is the best and the cheapest way i could connect my desktop computer to my TV to use it as my monitor and watch movies in .avi,wmv,asf... format with real one or media player cause it will save me hack of along time converting and burning them into vcd. plez if u a have any suggestions feel free the throw it in here and Im very greatfull for any kind of help cause im what u call …….. not very good with computers
    thank u

2. DavesPPC

DavesPPC Member

Get a video card with outputs (RCA or S-Video).

3. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

If you use S-vid, you won't get audio through your tv, so you'll have to have a seperate audio connection.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  4. baras_k9

baras_k9 Member

Hi,

I have a laptop computer with s-video output. I connect the laptop to a TV using a s-video cable and I can see the computer display on the TV.

When I open an .avi file (divx codified), the TV doesn't shows the movie. It appears blank, but I can still see the rest of the laptop display on the TV.

Any idea about how I can solve this problem??

Thanks in advance.

Baras K9

5. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

Hi, when you are playing a movie through an S-Vid, You have to make the display so it is only on the TV not the laptop, too. There are different buttons depending on the computer. It's kind of hard to explain. You switch the display so you can't see it on the computer but you can see it on the tv. You do this by pressing one of the function buttons and the tv out button until it is only on the tv. Could you please tell me what company manufactured your laptop?

6. nchendica

nchendica Member

I am getting the same problem. My laptop is Dell Inspiron 4100 with Windos 2000 professional installed on it. I opend Display>Settings>Advanced>Monitor>Monitor Type.
    I found two Monitor Types. First one is Default Monitor and the second one is Plug and Play monitor.
    Please let us know how to get the movie on the TV with this settings?

Thanking you in advance

7. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

What kind of laptop do you have?

8. nchendica

nchendica Member

My laptop is Dell Inspiron 4100 with Windows 2000 professional installed on it.

How do I get audio also along with Video?

I got a S-VHS cable with two pins on both sides.

9. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

I'm not exactly sure but I think you might need a computer to tv converter as shown on this page:

http://www.aver.com/products/comptv.shtml

I'm not sure, though. You might be able to connect ur s-vid and an audio connection to the TV and play it.

10. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

To get up the video, once you have the tv-out connection plugged in, (most likely a ps2 to svid) then you press fn + f5 on ur dell until you can see the video on the tv but not the computer. This is important. If you can see it on the computer, then you won't be able to see the avi's on the tv. You will probably have to play your sound through your computer or laptop until you get an audio connection set up somehow.

11. baras_k9

baras_k9 Member

Thanks nick2005. it works just fine.

12. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

No problem. That's what we're here for. If you have any other problems, feel free to post on the forum.

13. neewbie

neewbie Regular member

How would you record and watch tv on your computer? like wat cards do u need? ports ect

14. nick2005

nick2005 Regular member

15. neewbie

neewbie Regular member

thanks, i have xp but i will try anyways.

16. aero77

aero77 Member

Hi

just need some help with setting up movies on my tv with my laptop. ive done all this before from my pc to tv no problems, its just that in the display properties it does not give me the option to turn on the tv when i connect my laptop.

my laptop is a compaq presario R3003AP. the s-video connector on the laptop is a 7-pin female as show on this website...

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon-tv-out/

what cable do i require in order to get this going? i found and bought an adapter which is a 7-pin male to RCA (yellow connector). I then use a rca cable from the adaptor to the input of tv, however this does not work. what cable (please describe how both ends should be) do i require?

any help much appreciated as i've been having problems for quite some time now! :(

17. itomic

itomic Member

I've learnt that s-video is video only with no audio. Is it possible to play audio through my tv directly from my computer? I mean, can I get a lead that plugs into my computer at one end (where I'd normally connect the PC speakers) and then into the audio-in sockets on my tv at the other? Is it just a case of finding the right lead, or are there technical reasons why this won't work?

Thanks!

18. artrage

artrage Member

::eek:nce you have the tv-out connection plugged in, (most likely a ps2 to svid) then you press fn + f5 on ur dell ::

I'm dealing with the same problem with my IBM thinkpad. I know where the f5 key is but what/where is the fn that you're supposed to push on the keyboard to get this to work?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

19. wind2bay

wind2bay Guest

I got IBM thinkpad T40 too with S-video but on Display/Setting/Advanced, I have only 6 tabs: General/Adapter/Monitor/Troubleshotting/Color Mgr. I don't have ATI blah blah... Any idea on this ?

Thanks!

20. aero77

aero77 Member

going 4 msgs back, does anyone have a response to my initial question? i still can't get this thing going unless the device on the other end has s-vid in, not RCA which i wish to use...

thx