1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connect TV tuner directly "into the wall"

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by anders-81, Mar 27, 2010.

1. anders-81

anders-81 Member

Hi!

I have a very cheap TV-tuner that connects to my laptop with USB. The tuning is done using an external antenna that connects to the tuner with a cable, which can be removed.

I removed the antenna and its cable and tried to connect the TV-tuner with an ordinary antenna cable (like this) directly to the antenna port in the wall. I thought I could tune in TV channels that way to record a movie. It doesn't seem to work?

Is it different signals coming from the external antenna compared to the signals received in the antenna port in the wall?

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

Is the usb tuner HD ready, the new signals comming thru the airways are now requiring the tuners to be HD ready. To get it to work you would need a "convertor box".

3. attar

attar Senior member

I assume that the original antenna is picking up over the air broadcasts.
    Is the wall connection an external standard antenna ( over the air) or a cable or satellite connection.

4. anders-81

anders-81 Member

Hi, and thanks for the replies.

Yes, the original antenna is picking up over the air broadcasts.
    I have cable TV, so that is the type of signals in the wall connection. (I guess...)

Can I get it to work with some extra device? Do I need a converter like jony218 said?

5. anders-81

anders-81 Member

Does anyone have any idea? (please see my previous post)

Is it possible to connect the antenna cable from the wall into the TV-tuner? (and record the cable channels in the computer?)

6. tnt1125

tnt1125 Member

try it and find out

7. anders-81

anders-81 Member

Yes well, but I have already tried it. That's why I posted this in the first place.

I just wonder what is required to convert the signals from the cable TV port in the wall so that they are translated in a way that can be recieved by the TV tuner.
    The TV tuner is normally connected to an antenna that receives air broadcast. (as mentioned before)

8. dailun

dailun Active member

You can't. Your TV tuner card will only accept OTA and clear QAM signals.

By "antenna port" do you mean the cable TV feed?

You most likely need to get a converter box from the cable company in order to get the signal into your tuner stick.

9. anders-81

anders-81 Member

Ok, thanks. Yes, by antenna port I meant the hole in the wall where you connect the cable to get the broadcasting signals.

Is there a name for such a converter? Just thought I would have to know what I am looking for if I have to ask.