1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a second hard drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by kyle_101, Apr 3, 2005.

1. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Ok I am completely new at this but could anyone either show me a guide/website or tell me how to connect my harddrive from my old pc to my new pc cause i have loads of stuff on their that i need to get hold of again.

Thanks

2. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Ok here is an update, since searching the net i have foiund how to install the hard drive, but the problem i have is that the second hard drive is being used as the master and booting up. But i need the original drive that is in my pc to boot up not the other one.

The other harddrive does not boot up because it is saysthat it needs a boot disk but once i install it, will i be able to still take my stuff off of it.

thanks

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Make sure you have the HD jumpers set properly. The drive you want to boot from has to be set as MASTER. The other drive set as Slave. You should then be able to transfer your data from the old to new.

Jerry

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

or put the old hd on the ide cable in place of your cd/dvd rom drives temporarily til you pull info off

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  5. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

The only problem is this hard drive wont boot in my other old pc it says that it needs a boot disk but can i still get info off of it, its not detecting it, but yeah the jumpers are set correctly as far as i can see

6. ddp

yes still can pull info off drive as i do that all the time as what i said in previous post. if new hd boots on new pc than hook up old pc without changing jumpers on secondary cable in place of rom drives. what caused old hd to stop booting on old pc??

7. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

not exactly sure what the problem was, it just started asking fo r boot disc and i didnt know what to do.

Could you please give me a step by step approach to your solution it would make things a lot easier sorry

did you mean hook upold drive in place of romdrive in new pc?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2005
  8. ddp

-disconnect all cdroms off secondary cable, both power & data.
    -connect the old hd onto secondary cable & power cable. leave jumper as master.
    -presuming bios autodetects the hd if not go into the bios & change to autodetect.
    -restart the computer, go into windows, into windows explorer & pull info off old hd onto new hd.
    -after pulling what info you want saved, do the shutdown, turn off the power as some computers still have power on when shutdown, disconnect the hd, reconnect the rom drives, restart the computer & as long as bios autodetects the rom drives you can go right into windows

9. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

All is good now, it working.

YAY celebrations
    Thanks for the help dude, it is much appreciated

10. ddp

no problem, teach & learn

11. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Here's how I did mine, both HDs were set as master, connected to the same IDE lead. I went into BIOS to change boot priority from HDD0 to HDD1, depending on which one I wished to boot up. Dead easy to transfer files @ lightning speed!

Pulsar.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005