1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting HP Laserjet 1000 to Vista x64

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by CompNo, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CompNo

CompNo Member

Hello!

I'm having a hell of a time trying to connect my trusty Hp Laserjet 1000 to my new Vista x64 setup. I realize that it's not officially supported, but I'm wondering if there's a way to get it working.

I've heard of the Universal Print Driver put out by HP and tried it, but can't figure it out successfully. Will this program, properly used, fix my problem? Is there another way?

Thanks for any ideas...

2. tyknappy

tyknappy Member

Go to the hp website and download the xp drivers and see if that works for you. Also, I found an interesting article over at vistax64.com where one of the members got it to work for them.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  3. CompNo

CompNo Member

Hi! I was previously using Vista x32 and I managed to trick the system into accepting the XP host-based driver. Unfortunately, that's not working with x64.

Thanks for the link, which verifies that others are also getting reamed by HP!

Best wishes...

4. tyknappy

tyknappy Member

I know I had a problem with my hp laptop that came pre-loaded with xp mce 32 bit, and when I upgraded to vista 64 there were no 64 bit drivers for my audio and dial up. I had to do some thorough searching and I finally managed to find drivers to work, but I had to install them a certain way to get them to work. I'm willing to bet there is a way to get your printer to work.

I have an idea, download the xp driver from hp. Try to install it. Then go to control panal and click on "add printer" or "install printer" or something like that. Then click on the "have disk" button, then click the browse button, hp generally installs the drivers to a folder that is visible when you click on my computer, u may have to search, anyway, one of the files in the folder will have the same name, usually numbers, as the file that you download. Click on that file and and then click open, then click the ok button, and that should install it. Restart your pc and see if the printer works.

I used that same method above to install my drivers on my laptop.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  5. CompNo

CompNo Member

Hi.. The process you describe is the one that worked with my x32 based Vista system, but it doesn't work with my x64. A very irritating situation. Even that universal printer driver that HP put out doesn't support the Laserjet 1000. If I didn't just drop 70 bucks on a new toner cartridge for it, I'd probably buy a new (non-HP) printer. For the time being I guess I'll have to print using an XP-based computer, which is inconvenient, but a last resort.

Thanks...

6. tyknappy

tyknappy Member

Hmmm, that would be really irritating. I used to like HP, but things like this are what pushes me away from there products. I had an HP laptop that was only 1 1/2 yrs old and there was virtually no vista 64 support for it on there website, I would sometimes have to go to similar newer models on there website to get drivers that would work.

7. OutofDate

OutofDate Member

Believe Vista-64 has this major drawback regarding drivers;

"In fact, drivers pose a major issue for Vista 64-bit, as all drivers are required to be digitally signed, which some vendors and independent programmers aren't bothering to write because they refuse to purchase a certificate just to do this."
    http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-vista/windows-vista-64-bit/705.html

8. CompNo

CompNo Member

Would there be a possible way to get this printer working with Vista 64 by using the "bypass driver signature" option at boot time? I use this option in order to use another program.

9. OutofDate

OutofDate Member

First you need a Vista 64 driver for the LJ1000, be it signed or not. I haven't been able to find such beast.

10. CompNo

CompNo Member

Well, I guess that puts the nail in this particular coffin.

11. OutofDate

OutofDate Member

My solution was to buy a Canon. I wasn't happy with HP's support of their products plus the MX7600 was rated better by Consumer's Report.

12. CompNo

CompNo Member

I'm certainly done with HP as well. Good luck with the Canon!

13. sotris99

sotris99 Member

Windows 7 64bit no luck. Windows 8 64bit no luck.

14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Sotiris, why are you posting in a thread that hasn't been posted to in 5 yrs? closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.