1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connecting my PC to my receiver for surround sound.

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by irish80ca, Mar 3, 2007.

1. irish80ca

irish80ca Regular member

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help me out here. I have a PC which I've been able to hook the video up to my TV using a VGA cable. Now I need to sort out the sound.

I have a cable which is a 3.5mm prong (like what headphones would have) on one end and on the other end it has the Red & White RCA prongs. I've tried plugging the 3.5mm end into the "Audio Out" on the PC and RCA ends into my receiver but I don't get the surround sound.

Currently I can only get the sound to come out of one front speaker AND the sub. The audio signal isn't splitting using this cable. It's only staying on the White RCA prong.

Is there something else I need to do? If it helps the receiver I have is a Sony 110W X 6 - Model # STR-DG500.

No clue how to tell what audio/video card the computer has so if that info. is required can you tell me how I look it up.

Thanks.

2. techstyle

techstyle Member

You need to learn a little about your sound card:

1. Does it have a digital audio output (SPDIF) optical or Coaxial?
    2. Does it have a 5.1 surround output

if it does have a digital output simply connect it to the reciever with this via the recievers digital audio inputs

if it doesn't but does have 5.1 output then you will need 3 x 3.5mm - RCA cables. Connect in to the Green socket of the sound card and connect the other end to Front left and right on the area labelled 'multi ch in'. connect into the black connector on the sound card (usually next to the green) and to the surround L and R in the multi ch in area. connect to the 'off orange' jack on the soundard and to the centre and subwoofer connection. (not sure which way around - check your soundcard manual). In windows set your speaker set up to 5.1 and you will be set.

if you do use the digital output you need to tell your DVD decoder software to Pass through without Dolby or DTS decoding