1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting older Windows 7 laptop to newer WiFi standards

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by g725s, Mar 16, 2019.

1. g725s

g725s Member

I have an older Laptop that is great for taking with me from time to time to do Firmware updates on equipment for work very occasionally. However, it has an older WiFi standard, off the top of my head I beleive it it G. And residental customers have newer routers with the newer standards that I cannot connect to, my laptop does not see those networks.

Can I purchase a WiFi USB adapter that I could use to connect to the newer standards N or AC (I think that is what I need, correct me if I'm wrong)?

I'm sure the USB ports are older standard too if that matters.

Thanks!

2. g725s

g725s Member

3. aldan

aldan Active member

thats weird you cant connect with a win7 pc.i had no trouble going as far back as xp.you know using a wifi adapter still uses your pc wifi card and existing protocols.have you tried updating drivers?done any troubleshooting?

4. g725s

g725s Member

I am pretty sure the internal WiFi for the laptop only goes to "g". The newer "n" signals don't even show up.

I did not know that a WiFi adapter that plugs into the USB uses the internal card. I was hoping it could be separate and have it's own driver.

5. aldan

aldan Active member

looked further and there is a setting on the router to change wireless setting to b,g,n or a combination.why not just go wired directly to the router?

6. g725s

g725s Member

Because I am using the customers WiFi as a stated originally. Some only use the 5ghz band.
    I bought the adapter and it appears to work.

7. aldan

aldan Active member

i was gonna say for the cost of the adapter,give it a try.good you got it sorted.

8. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

aldan, wifi adapter does not use pc's onboard wifi card and existing protocols as the adapter has it's own protocols. how can adapter work if the onboard is not working or turned off because adapter has own hardware & drivers.

9. aldan

aldan Active member

you are so right.my bad.