1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting two computers together

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by KRollie, May 1, 2005.

1. KRollie

KRollie Guest

I am trying to connect My Desktop and Laptop together using a Local Area Connection (Ethernet NIC) and a crossover cable, but can't get it to work. I ran the setup wizard on my desktop without any cables inserted and it could not complete the wizard, but when I ran it again with the cable plugged in it completed the wizard so it must detect the cable inserted.
    My desktop is saying my cable is not connected but my laptop says there is limited or no connectivity.
    If I swap the ends of the cable around both machines show no cable connected. I think my laptop was trying to assign an IP address automatically but failed. Is it something to do with the settings on my Desktop that is stopping this. I am really not clued into this at all so any help would be appriecated. Thanks in advance.
    PS. Both machines are firewalled, using XP on Both Service Pack 2

2. KRollie

KRollie Guest

Update: I have just changed the (TCP/IP) subnet mask property to the same as my host computer (255.255.255.0). Ithink this was the reason it was saying limited connection. My Desktop is still saying my cable is not connected though. Anyone.

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Are you sure you are using a crossover cable.........?

What is the IP address of each machine.....ie 192.168.0.2 etc and do they lie within the same scope?

Have you tried to 'ping' each computer using the ping command in cmd.exe?

Are your PC's labelled up as in the same workgroup?

4. KRollie

KRollie Guest

Thanks for reply.
    Both PC have the same Workgroup (MSHOME)
    Where can I change the IP address on my Desktop
    Is it under Local Area Connection Properties and then Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties. If this is it. Should they both have the same address. At the moment they have different IP's
    ie. Desktop - 192.168.0.1
    Laptop - 169.254.2.222
    I will have to change my cable though. I was sold the wrong type. I will get back to you when I have tried a new Crossover cable

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2005
  5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Your laptop has an incorrect IP address, that is an IP that is assigned if it cannot obtain one.

It must be set in the same scope as your other....192.169.0.!!!!

When you have your new crossover cable, it should assign a relative IP within the same scope and you should be good.

As you say to alter the IP, it is in the tcp/ip settings within the LAN configuration.

If you have just plugged them in and just used the wizard, the DHCP on your desktop should assign the laptop an IP address within the same scope - but not the same...........
    You will also need to allow sharing in order to view files etc..

Let us know how you get on.........

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  6. KRollie

KRollie Guest

OK.
    Got my new cable and connected this morning. Changed the laptop IP and both the desktop and the laptop say (Connected, Firewalled) So far so good.

I Have turned on file sharing for both C drives as I am the only one who uses both comps.
    My desktop is called DESKTOP and my laptop called LAPTOP
    I still can't get the two to communicate.
    I go to 'add a network place', in my network my places on my desktop and type the address as '\\laptop\C' but my desktop can't find the folder.
    On both my desktop and laptop in 'my network places' I can see.
    Desktop - My documents on desktop
    Laptop - My documents on laptop.
    I can't seem to get the two on each another.
    Also in 'view workgroup computers' I only see the same as above.
    any help please.
    Thanks in advance

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I haven't read the entire thread too closely, so this may be repeating something that was already said;

Did you drop the firewalls on both computers and map the network drives?

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Make a note of both IP addresses, goto one of the PC's and click on run, and tpye in cmd and hit enter.

This will open up a 'dos' window, now just type in ping (followed by the IP address you want to comm with) and you should see several replies from the client and the time it took, and if there were any lost packets............

If it times out with no replies, then there is an IP problem, recheck your settings.......

The fact that you have both shared folders showing suggests that the IP is configured correctly.
    In Network places, there should be one group of 3 pc's (icon) and should say MSHOME, double click on there and you should see your folders, and be able to access them.

It actually sounds lilke a refresh problem, try as GranpaBW suggested and drop the firewalls, just in case.
    But leave both PC's connected for a while, then hit the refresh button on each PC and see how it goes............

9. KRollie

KRollie Guest

Still having problems.
    I noted the IP addresses on both comps and tried to ping from both machines but returning 4 errors (100% loss). Even though my NIC says the cables are connected.I tried turning off Both firewalls and still nothing.
    IP address of Desktop 192.168.0.1
    Laptop 192.168.0.2 Does this look right
    My network connection details show I have a Physical Address, IP address, Subnet Mask (255.255.255.0) but no (Default Gateway, DNS Server or WINS Server). Should there be?
    I have tried everything I know I can but still Nothing. Thanks for any help.

10. KRollie

KRollie Guest

I have used IPCONFIG on both computers to ensure correct IP address and pinged from both computers and still showing 100% loss. Even though my Local Area Connection is showing connescted could I still have a dodgy cable. I seem to be following the troubleshooters on my comp, searching other forums and following your advice and still nothing. It's doing my head in.

11. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Actually something just occured to me, what type of cable are you using, because, I think XP cannot link 2 computers together via LAN except via the VPN route.
    Under normal cirumstances I think it has to be either via parallel/serial or LPT1 ports.........

Not sure though, how are you trying to configure it?

12. KRollie

KRollie Guest

Its a cat 5 crossover cable. According to many website's I have viewed and after speaking to someone at my local PC store this is the right cable. It is basically doing away with the hub because it is crossing over the transmit and recieve cables. Still trying different things. Let you know how I get on

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2005
  13. KRollie

KRollie Guest

Anyone??

14. KRollie

KRollie Guest

My Patch cable has only 4 wires. Does it not need to have eight although it only uses the four for transmission.
    I'm thinking the cable may be the problem, the connection can be intermitent, sometimes showing all computers in the MSHOME and then other times not, even when I don't change any settings

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2005
  15. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Nope 4 cables is ok.

See here for clarification http://www.cabletron.com/support/techtips/tk0231-9.html

Hmmm, the fact that it is there and then not does suggest something intermittent.
    Maybe it is not mating correctly in the LAN socket.......

Strange, does it keep dropping out if you try and access the other PC or does it throw you out straight away/

16. KRollie

KRollie Guest

I have finally got the two to connect and share files, Thanks for the help.

Only one problem. I can't seem to connect to the internet from my client laptop. I have broadband and have followed the troubleshooter which tells me to.
    "Uncheck automatically detect settings and use automatic configuration script"

17. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Excellent news..............what was it in the end?
    I tried it just on my laptop and other PC with a cat5 xover and statically set different IP addresses and it hooked up straight away.

Issue 2 (LOL)

How are you trying to connect to the net?
    Are you using the client laptop to directly connect to the internet - ie connected directly to your USB Modem/ADSL line?
    Or are you trying to configure it to 'Internet Connection Sharing' via your host PC which is connected to the USB modem/ADSL line?

18. KRollie

KRollie Guest

I think the main problem was the firewall on my host PC. I completely turned it off for Local Area Network on both computers and it now works.
    I have a usb adsl modem set up on my host computer that I use to access the internet and I am trying to access the internet on my client computer through internet sharing.(make any sense)
    I have tried as it says following the trouble shooter.
    Quote::-
    "To configure Internet options for Internet Connection Sharing -
    Open Internet Explorer.
    On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    On the Connections tab, click Never dial a connection, and then click LAN Settings.
    In Automatic configuration, clear the Automatically detect settings and Use automatic configuration script check boxes.
    In Proxy Server, clear the Use a proxy server check box.
    Tried this and still not working. It just goes to the" cannot find server" page. Any help please. Thanks in advance.

19. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hmmmmm, I initially used connection sharing when I first started playing around with it, however I cannot give you a walk through as it has been some time since I played with it, as now I have a router with wireless AP built in and therefore do not need the sharing aspect now.

I would recommend this option as you do not require a 'host' and therefore do not require a PC to be on all the time in order to use it,a dn therefore has minimal settings to do.

The key is you need to tell your host to dial up when you select internet explorer or such on your client.

As a standard with Microsoft when you use internet connection sharing, it automatically sets the host IP address to 192.168.0.1 and I believe this IP does require to be at that address.
    But I am sure it can be configured manually aswell, because I think I did that.

I will try to give you some pointers, as I think there is 2 ways of doing it, either via the wizard or manually.

The easiest is obviously via the wizard - Network Setup Wizard and select option 1 and just follow the steps as prompted.
    Select the modem you are using and it should then give you a list of what it will do, click yes to confirm and the wizard will setup your host.
    It should give you the option then of setting up a disc to take to your client, where it will automatically configure your client for ICS.
    Eventually you should receive an Icon on your client saying Internet Connection sharing.
    And just by clicking on that should invoke the 'dial up' on your host and connect you to the net from your client.

The other way is manually, for this you have to enter the IP address of your host as a:The gateway on your client b:DNS on your client.
    Then as you stated, automatically detect settings in internet explorer/tools/options/connections/LAN settings on your client, and also select Never dial a connection.

I think that is all you need, but as I say it has been a while since I did that.

Have a go through the wizard, and if you come across something you're not sure about, post it as it may just 'kick' my memory a little and I should be able to give you some more pointers if required.

Let me know, and have fun.........I know I did..............

20. KRollie

KRollie Guest

I'll give that a try tomorrow as it is way past ma bed time.(yawn) Thanks for all the help so far anyway!!! Youv'e really been helpfull.