1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting vaio laptop to the TV

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by sravipat, Apr 8, 2005.

1. sravipat

sravipat Member

When I connect sony grx model laptop to the sony TV, I get only sound but no picture. The laptop has TV-out but no S-Video. The TV has a serial interface for HDTV. Any help in connecting is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

info explaining exactly how you are connecting the laptop is kinda important here.

See I know how to hook a laptop up to a TV and I know what to check if I only have sound and no video or other problems. But I do NOT know if you know what to do.

For example. I assume you have a total of 3 connections going into the TV. One yellow, one white, and one red. I also asume that you are using a headphone to RCA adapter for your sound and have that plugged into your headphone jack on your laptop. I also assume you have got this part done correct because you do have sound coming out of your tv.

I should assume that you have a yellow RCA plug going from your laptop into the TV. If you DO NOT have such a cord or are not sure what I am talking about then I would suggest that is the problem.

If you do have the yellow rca cord and still do not see a picture then I suggest either closing the laptop screen (this may force it to TV out mode) or find the button on your laptop that toggles between internal monitor, external monitor, and TV out. Then push it. Now check for picture on your TV again.

3. sravipat

sravipat Member

Thanks Stinky. The TV-out worked. I have to reboot the laptop after the connections. I came to know by chance ...

4. goelsonu

goelsonu Member

I am not able to make out how to connect my sony vaio VGN-FS550 laptop to tv. Can anyone help?

5. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I just looked online and in the specs it makes no mention of it having a TV out on it. Do you see one anywere? You have 2 headphone looking ports in the front, what are they labeled?

If there is no tv out you would need to get a VGA to SVIDEO or RCA converter box. they run between $50 - $150.

6. goelsonu

goelsonu Member

There is no TV out. Two front ports you mentioned about are for headphone and mike.

7. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

then the only way you could connect it to a TV is to get a TV with a VGA line in, or an HDTV with digital in, then you would need to get a VGA to Digfital converter like this

http://142.59.19.164/Itemdesc.asp?CartId={26A61D28-C680-4242-9FFA-12703CCC1A7C}&ic=VIDDVI-VGA&Tp=

then you can connect it to that.

And if you dont have a high def tv to connect to then you need one of these if your video card supports it

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3759&item=5193869113&rd=1

So far as I know only some variants of ATi cards work with those though

Otherwise you need this

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31534&item=5194052291&rd=1

hope that helps

8. jimbob2

jimbob2 Member

Hi - another newbie here. I'm trying to connect a laptop to another monitor (my dad is getting on & wants a bigger screen). I've downloaded a bunch of drivers & right clicked & installed the profile for the monitor. Sure enough, when the laptop boots up, it is on the external monitor - but then there is a message - no signal, it goes black & the laptop screen comes on for the rest of the xp boot?

How do I sort this out without knacking it up?

Laptop - Acer
    Monitor - iiyama LS704U Vision Master 1403
    ICC Profile - LS704U
    Windows - XP V5.1 with service pack 2

9. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

you should not need to install any dirvers for the ext monitor to work. Just close the lid on the laptop and it may switch to the external one.

Otherwise you will have to hit your FUNCTION (usually "FN") and then the button that toggles between laptop screen/External Monitor (and sometimes laptop screen at the same time)/ and TV out.

The FN button is on the lower left corner of my laptop, and the montior button is on the middle at the top.

10. jimbob2

jimbob2 Member

Cheers Stinky - it wasn't successful, but, I had a look in Control Panel & found a thing about 2 monitors - this worked. I'll try the other to connect the lappy to the tv to watch avi's.

Thanks for your time - Jim.

11. jimbob2

jimbob2 Member

Hi again - having sorted the external monitor thing, I am getting cocky - trying to connect the laptop to the tele. Got a variety of leads - the latest one is a panasonic camcorder 3 x phono plug from Maplin. Had a look is display properties & found the generic tv option. The TV is still blank with distorted scrolling grey lines (something is happening!!)

Laptop - Acer (Aspire 1360)
    TV - Hitachi (using AV3 - sick of Scart leads
    Graphics card - NVidia GeForce FX Go5200
    Lead - 3 x phono Camcorder (plugged into audio on PC?)

Any help would be greatfully received & most welcome

Jim

12. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

um.... its just not going to happen! Look at the 3.5mm plug end, you should have 4 seperations on it. Your headphone plug only uses 3. And furthermore VIDEO is NEVER outputted from the headphone plug. Notunless you open it up and solder it around somehow.

13. jimbob2

jimbob2 Member

I had my doubts, but the bloke at Maplin was very convincing (for a newbie anyway).

Can it be done at all or do I have to convert my AVIs to MPEGs?

Once again - thanks for your time& patience

Jim

14. AznX

AznX Member

15. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

jim,

you should have some sort of tv out plug on your laptop. Newer ones usually have an svideo. It looks almoistt the same as a old PS/2 mouse/keyboard slot. If you tv has an svideo in as well then you can do it that way. You also need a 3.5mm to rca adapter to pplug your headphone jack into the audio in on your tv as well.

Then it should all work find.

16. AznX

AznX Member

i keep getting fussy lines when i put 640x480 and the lowest refresh rate

17. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

could be the TV. Some tv's will get rea;;y screwy when trying to connect a laptop or PC to it.

Try 800X600 resolution instead.

18. AznX

AznX Member

well i got my tv out to work on the laptop....but i didnt use that cable,i used the yellow port and tv-out wasnt couldnt be enabled before,but i guess since i fooled around with all the settings it worked. anybody wanna buy that cable off me?

19. isuballr

isuballr Guest

My HP laptop has S-Video out so i connected that to the TV. However, the only thing that shows up on the TV is the Desktop picture from my monitor (only the pic, no icons or anything). Any ideas?

20. newbie26

newbie26 Member

That's exactly the same problem with mine. All I see on the TV is the desktop wallpaper with no icons or programs. How do you guys get it to work??? is there something you must change?