1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Wii to Samsung HDMI receiver

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by fandr78, Nov 8, 2011.

1. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

I would like to connect my Wii to my home theater system. The Wii only has the red,white and yellow rca plugs,with no Optical jack. On the back on my receiver,i have 1 video out, 2 AUX IN and 3 component out jacks. How will i accomplish this,if possible. I tried the 2 Aux In but with no luck.

I currently have, my HD TV, PS3,HD DVR and Bluray player hooked up via HDMI.

Thanks in advance.

2. DxxS

DxxS Member

What model receiver do you have?

3. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

Samsung HT-Z520

4. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

just run a audio cable from the WII (red and white only) to the back of the Home Cinema and then flick through your AUX chans on it to see which one works,

Or Connect the Componant cables to the TV and a TOSLINK from TV to Surround sound

5. DxxS

DxxS Member

Would this only work if the TV has an optical out?
    The easiest method I think would be Michah's 1st suggestion, red+white audio leads to the receiver and the yellow video one to the TV. The only issue I can forsee is there may not be enough reach in the cables, if so, either get extensions or you may be able to peel the cables back to give more reach(if that makes sense).

6. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

depending on the optical on the TV, if its a TOSLINK and TOSLINK on the back of the Home Cinema, not sure what the optical connection is on this model, if its its TOSLINK or Cable,

if he is connection the WII direct to the TV, he can use the white/red audio out on the WII to the Aux connection on the Home Cinema, change to AUX2 etc and the sound should come through

7. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

I tried your first step,with using the red and white to the aux,which is AUX 2.. I switched to AUX 2 on my receiver and i get nothing..No picture or sound. I currently have it plugged into my Tv,with the Componant. I will try the Optical from my TV to the receiver. Thanks for your help.

8. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

So what your saying is,connect the yellow for video to one of my inputs on my TV and the White/Red to the receiver for audio?

9. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Yeah you can do it like that and then use optical out on the TV to the home cinema and the sound will route that way

10. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

OK, to summarize everything... Connect the yellow for video to one of my inputs on my TV and the White/Red to the receiver for audio,then use an optical out of TV,into my home cinema? Do i have to switch to a certain output on my receiver to hear the sound,or will it automatically pick it up? Thanks for your continued help.

11. DxxS

DxxS Member

If you're going yellow to TV and Red+white to receiver you shouldnt need the optical cable as well for the wii setup, on the receiver you will probably need to select aux1 or 2.

12. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

Yes your correct,i didn't need a optical. Hooked it up last night and it sounds great. Thank you all for your help.