1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Consequences for Copying DVDs

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by someoneth, Jan 7, 2007.

1. someoneth

someoneth Member

I couldn't find this posted anywhere, sorry if it is.

What exactly is the consequences for copying dvds for home use. I know it is not legal even if there is no intent on selling them, but do people really come arrest you if you do? I have a binder full for my kids, and my kids (even though I tell them to not say anything) Always blurt out in the movie section of stores "did you burn this one already mom?" And of course, I'm sure in school they all blab to the world.

Just wondering if anyone knows of real people who have gotten in trouble for burning for personal use. I'm not a pirater, just a mom who needs to keep my kids entertained cheaply sometimes!

2. onya

onya Guest

Hi to someoneth, I can really sympathise with this question almost entirely..except that I'm a dad, but if i can assure you that i believe THOSE NICE MOVIE PEOPLE aren't really out there to catch you out. There are bigger fish to fry. My little army or legion of kiddies can go through cd's dvd's and game stuff, at an alarming rate, and to be honest who can afford to keep on re-purchasing their favourites just because of a small scratch etc. So we make our own "ON SITE BACKUPS" just for us, NO HANDING THEM AROUND kinda thing. But to answer your question, I don't know of any one in our position that's been charged, we'd have to be VERY unlucky.

Don't they ever (blessed little darlings)

All the best.

3. Stitch15

Stitch15 Member

It seems that it may depend what country you live in. The wonderful government here in Canada has seen fit to allow us to make copies of any media that we own. (and download media that others own and allow us to download) Other countries have seen fit to make laws that they feel might better suit its people. I haven't found too many instances where someone has been charged. Alot of people have been listed, noted, fingered, intimidated, and otherwise but, I have a funny feeling that most judges would shy away from sentancing you to a life sentance for burning media that you already own. It would ruin their relaxation time at home later that day watching their backups.

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

cd&dvd piracy is illegal in most countries.technically if its modified by 20% its not a breach of copyright.I only know of 1 person thats been in trouble for piracy and that was PS1 games not dvds,cds.if you own the original cd/dvd you are legally intiled to make 1 back up copy for personal use.im in australia the laws may be different depending on which country your in but going on forums(possibly monitered by the government) and bragging about copying cds/dvds could get you in trouble.

5. onya

onya Guest

@xboxdvl2,Hi neighbour. As far as i was aware, it was still illegal to make backups here, I'll read into this a little more so at least I'm up to speed with present legislation.

You can never tell, keep your heads down guys.

Cheers.

6. ireland

ireland Active member