1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

considering building. help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by V13t0r, Aug 6, 2007.

1. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@V13t0r

My thoughts on the parts you have picked out...

The harddrive, on that motherboard you only have 1 (one) IDE port, so if that limits you to two devices. Which in your case would be your dvd burner and harddrive. Your shelling out of cash for this system; so why not buy a SATA harddrive? Same price and sometimes cheaper than IDE harddrives, cables are much smaller, theirs no need for Master/Slave relationships, and their a whole lot faster.

The dvd burner, not needed but if possible I would get a plain old dvd-rom drive also and have it set as the "reader" when copying dvd's. It will extend the life of you current dvd-burner.

The power supply, with a rig like that the last thing to cheap out on is the PSU. I always recommend PC Power and Cooling, they are the best in the business and they PSU has never failed me. I am running 2gb of ram, 3 harddrives, 2 dvd drives, 2 7900 graphics cards, amd dual core processor, 6 fans, and more. PC Power and Cooling is the best there is, but if were sticking with TigerDirect they dont sell PC P.& C. PSU's so I would say go with OCZ(Who recently bought PC P.& C.) or Antec. Go to http://www.slizone.com to help you find a good powersupply for your system, or go with a PC Power and Cooling PSU and be sure everything will always work.

The videocards, same as everybody else said. With a quad core the only part of your system that will be a bottleneck during gaming will be your video cards so buy the best you can.

The monitors, no real opinion on this just some facts. Buy a monitor with a low response time 2ms-5ms is my limit. It gets you good gaming peformance. Also look for a screen with a good refresh rate and the proper connections for your PC.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just be aware that the fan controllers on OCZ PSUs can sometimes be a bit dodgy, and that they don't have that good regulation. My recommendation still stands at the Corsair.

As for the monitor, mine's 11ms, and no ghosting, no problems at all in fact!

3. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

I have given up trying to get the quad core to work in my board (see sig) I've given it to my son
    evga seem to be having quality control problems with their boards
    But the asus striker extreme was a 4 hour nightmare to get working
    let us know if you get any probs with your setup when you're playing games

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What issues did you have with the striker? I seem to have got off lightly with my board, maybe I should reconsider my plan to change it!

5. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

Sorry I find it hard to believe in all these posts there is only one post regarding the hard drive!

Barracuda are fast drives, but bloody hell. P-ATA100 with an 8MB cache?!

You can easily upgrade to the S-ATA version and over here in the UK the S-ATA versions are cheaper with 16MB cache!! That harddrive will definately be a bottle neck in your build!

Pretty good system so far, and as recommended by others on here, upgrade the PSU.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That slipped my notice actually! Yeah, get a 16MB Cache S-ATA drive at least.

7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@phill2000/anyone else

The first thing I made a remark about concerning his build was his harddrive....
    Beat you all to it :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  8. V13t0r

V13t0r Regular member

9. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@V13t0r

Glad you took my advice on the PSU, I guarentee you won't be dissappointed.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Placing your butt on the line eh? :D

Those components all look pretty decent spec.

11. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

I acknowledged you mentioned the HD issue ;o)

12. FredBun

FredBun Active member

sata, ide, whats the differnce between the two?

13. socom1000

socom1000 Guest

You got a good setup there.

14. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

SATA is new (and faster), and the cables are MUCH smaller (allows for better air flow). IDE is getting old now, and you wont see it used on new computers for the hard drive, but possibly on the CD/DVD drive.

15. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Also, IDE are those big ribbon HDDs that take up lots of space and limit your airflow.

SATA are the small red ribbons (about .5in width) and they are much faster, and allow for better airflow.

The newest (and still the best) are the SCSI hard drives. They are very expensive, but they are 15,000rpm.

16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Waymon, scsi are not the newest as they were around when mfm & rll type drives were out. they even pre-date ide drives.

17. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

i was thinking that too, mabey he was talking about the new speeds they can do, or new things about them

18. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

yea, i was wrong on the newer part, but i do know that they are the fastest hard drives out there right now.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As far as I can recall, SCSI is in fact the oldest of the technologies mentioned. SAS provides one of the highest amounts of bandwidth, and since it's more a workstation level technology, rather than home PC, the fastest hard drives have been developed on that platform.