1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Console vs PC

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Freekman, Jan 22, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It does indeed. That's the spirit! Of course you do technically need a monitor capable of displaying 1080p to say that!

2. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

which then needs a minimum res of 1920x1200. aka 24" +.

also most ps3, if not all bar GT are made with 720p res, not 1080p, and even COD4 has 600P res.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Which makes the PC even better.. :)

4. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Well, if this is a PC vs. Console thread then let me contribute.

PCs are technically stronger then consoles. They have better graphics, more perfomance, and if done right, games can look alot better then their console counterparts.

Consoles however, are cheaper, more convinient, and consoles have alot more fun exclusives.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, I think that last point may be personal opinion, but otherwise that's a pretty valid summary.

6. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

The new burnout is gonna run at 60fps on the PS3 :)

A PC in theory should always be more powerful than a console

In my opinion the good thing about a console is the games usually get better looking and smoother as the console ages a bit.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And PC games don't?

8. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

And then some in a lot of cases :)

But at least Burnout shows the PS3 is capable of decent frame rates.

9. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

ya but if the same game was on pc it would probably get 100 fps esspecially a racing game

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not usually - typically if a game is on Xbox 360 and PS3 and the PC, the PC version is an autoport, which means it'll look ass, and run ass.

11. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

i was thinking about need for speed which looks exactly the same, but it gets very high fps
    also look at games like gears of war and halo 2 which are much better on pc

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

NFS I'll grant you. Halo 2 though, it ran fine on an original xbox. Even my PC can't run it at max settings. My PC's almost immeasurably faster than the first xbox.

13. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

are you serious
    Processor: 2 Ghz Pentium 4 class processor (or x64)
    RAM: 1 GB
    Hard Drive: 7 GB
    Video Card: DX9 graphics card: WDDM driver, PS 2.0/32BPP, At least nVidia 6000 or ATI x700 or above
    Online Multi-player: Internet connection for Games for Windows – LIVE
    Drive: DVD-ROM drive
    these are recomended

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah but have you tried running the game? To get it to run well at 1920x1200, a proper resolution, you need something along the lines of a 7800/X1800 at least. Given the comparative hardware of the xbox, I think that's disgusting.

15. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

yes that is true but maybe they did that so xbox sales would go up who knows

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The game was released with Vista. Since Halo 2 was for the original xbox, not the 360 which came out before Vista, I doubt that was their motive.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

You obviously have never played Halo 2 on the PC. It's is coded like crap and runs like it! It's a freakin XBOX game, I should be able to max it out and get 100+ frames! Of course that's not happening...

BAD BAD coding... Same with Crysis, it's definitely not optimized enough, and it shows. COD4 is almost as good looking and runs much better.

18. dazila

dazila Regular member

Its not really fair to compare like this, I think it should be compared like this lets find a 600au PC which includes the following specs to match a Ps3.

8 Core Cell CPU @ 3.2ghz I think something like a E6750 or E6850 or QC6600 would match it.
    Nvidia Reality Synthisiser is said to be abit faster then a 7800GTX so you would need a 7800GTX or a 7950 to match it.
    a Blu ray drive, how much does a PC one cost alone :D around as much as a Ps3 or more.
    + You need a motherboard, SATA HDD, PSU, Case, RAM Ps3 has about 256mb XDR Ram I dont know how it will compare to DDR Ram because it is much faster maybe its like having 512mb or 768mb DDR2 Ram.
    I think it might turn out a bit more :p
    I dont know how PS3 games look bad right now the ones that are on both PC and Ps3 practically match in quality, Naughty Dog also stated that in Uncharted only 28% of the Ps3's full power is being used and ive been told the game looks great.
    As for Crysis I think the game could have better performance on most hardware,
    My Graphics card is just a 8500GT but COD4 runs with everything maxed out 1024x768 without any lag while crysis well I think i do push it :p everything on high except 3 settings but at 800x600 it does lag and even though to me it dosent look much better then COD4 at a lower res.
    Ive been told Crysis uses the GPU much more then the CPU I think it should have been made equal, because I dont think anyone thinks because a game lags it must be great looking and then they think this other game looks great like COD4 and dosent lag imagine what this game Crysis would look like maxed out, to me it seems crytek took this approach by making the game engine unefficent making it lag on most systems then being used as a Leading Game but when everyone can max it out and run it without lag in a year or 2 you will think why did it run so poor when it dosent look as good as they made it seem.
    Sure It does look great but not great enough to show why hardly any system can run it with everything turned up.

19. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

i actually have played halo2 maybe coded badly which is the companies fault, i may have been wrong in saying that title but if bungi put the same amount of effort into the pc version as the xbox it would run much better on the pc
    but the graphics are far better on the pc version
    http://www.gamespot.com/features/6169711/index.html

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah well can you Run windows on your PS3?

Yeah that's what I thought...

Also the Quality difference seems significant. I just might try it again on the PC...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008