1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Console vs PC

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Freekman, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

true i believe that the ps3 is a fairly good buy for the price especially taking into consideration that it used to cost 800 to make one(afterdawn newsletter ty for the fact) and that it has a bluray player and most bluray players are about the same price, but if you want the best gaming experience get a pc

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yes it's cheap for the price. It's not a computer though and should not be taken as such. The 360 is a better choice if you're not into the whole HD thing like me. I rented some Blu-Ray movies and they look exactly like DVDs to me.

3. dazila

dazila Regular member

I dont know about gaming experience being best on pc because consoles always have better games or the console version is out 1st then gets ported to pc, pc might have better graphics but the quality of games has always been better on consoles.
    There are also some games that the PC will never see like Mario games which is the top selling game series and most popular of all time.

4. dazila

dazila Regular member

Ive never tried a blu ray because I dont have a HD TV but I doubt 640x480 looks the same as 1920x1080 dont you think.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Try it then, it's not that much different. Maybe if you set up the same TVs running side by side, one with Bluray and the other with DVD. I wouldn't notice if I just sat down with someone to watch a movie and go like that's HD! There just isn't that much of a difference.

I'm using a HDMI cable on a 1080p enabled TV so I am getting the best possible picture.

EDIT: I played Mario when I was a kid, I don't want to keep on playing it. Also consoles JUST got Half Life 2 didn't they? COD4 looks and plays better on a PC. Shooters are always better on PC. Although my favorite games of all time are Halo 3, Halo: CE, and Halo 2, in that order so Xbox Live can be pretty fun online. Also Resistance is very good to play online too. So while they ARE exceptions, shooters are still a lot more fun on PC.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  6. dazila

dazila Regular member

Thats just not correct, try play a PC game at 640x480 on a big screen then play it at 1920x1080 and you will see the differnece, unless youre using a 17" TV then you are correct if you are using a big 70+cm LCD or PLasma there must be a problem somewhere?, ask anyone there is a difference.
    I think microsoft should have gone a bit better with the media I think its going to limit GTA 4 because of its 8.5 gb Capacity.
    And after hearing that HD DVD is failing I belive that Add On HD Drive is and was just plain point less.

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Good thing I didn't buy it then! lol

Yeah I see it in PC games but not in movies. Maybe I just don't care enough. I'm using a 65inch LCD screen BTW.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Almost all of that post except for the mario games comment is a complete farse.
    There have been some great games on consoles and some great games on the PC, there's probably an even split. Specifically compare the PS3 to the PC though, and the PS3 gets heavily owned. Why do you think nobody buys them?
    Having owned the two previous Playstations, I would have liked the PS3 to be decent, but so far the one thing that's worst about it is what you try and defend it with, the selection of games. If I bought one I still only think I'd end up playing GT5. £350 just for that?
    I could buy an HD3850, 2GB of decent RAM, and E2180 CPU and a good motherboard, along with a corsair PSU and a 500GB hard drive for around the £400 mark.
    1080p is nice, but 2560x1600 is better, especially when the texture quality of PC games is so much better too. It is a shame that consoles are slowly ruining the PC game industry, but the few players that are left are still putting out good enough games to keep me coming back - CSS, TF2, Stalker, Supreme Commander, COD4 etc...

9. dazila

dazila Regular member

Even if that resolution is supported I will nopt belive a HD3850 will run a current gen game on high at that resolution with no lag.
    I know Ps3 has less games but Gt5, GTA 4 and Formula One presuaded me to buy a 600au Ps3 (CHeaper then 400pounds),
    I also look at the quality of the game I know straight off that I will play Gt5 as much as a few other games put toghter like I might play Gt5 as long as playing Crysis,COD4, NFS PS, and a couple of more put toghther, GT does something that no other racing game can and its a racing game which is likely never to be on PC and my faveourite thing is car racing so why not?, right now, I'd swap all my games for a full copy of GT5 if somebody had one.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Abuzar's 3850 made over 10,000 3dmarks. At stock my new 3870 has just made 10,722. With that config I can run FEAR and its expansions, Stalker, COD4, Supreme Commander and pretty much anything else at 2560x1600 with no performance issues. The 3850 therefore is also qualified to do so, if with a marginally lower frame rate.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Actually it turns out the 3850 is a great overclocker! I'm on 730MHz Core and 1100Mhz Memory. I'm getting just about 11,000 3Dmark points!

Also I could probably push it more but that's the max CCC allows.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's alright, the core on the Powercolor card barely overclocks at all, so I don't really earn any more marks. The limit for the software's 860, at 816 it crashes... :(

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well I could get a 3850 512 and make a 3870 out of it. These cards overclock like crazy. I even had my core running at 830 for a bit! But Rivatuner was not good as it doesn't support it and my PC crashed suring 3Dmark.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Got my core to 850 and RAM to 1260. Needs a high fan speed to keep stable in games, but runs pretty damn fast. The Sapphire card's definitely faulty though, so it's going back. It uses 50W more than my X1900XT at idle and runs well above half fan speed most of the time.

15. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Sam, the default fan speed is 30% (or somewheres around there). There is a BIOS out to force the fan to 50%, or more; I cant remember the exact numbers right now.

I plan on flashing both cards tonight, to break the 860 barrier and maybe get some extra juice out of the memory too.

16. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

i got 885/1341 on 3870 and with stock cooling i think that is pretty good, but my ambient temp was 50*F( could maybe even reach 900 if allowed and better cooling)

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

How the hell do you in survive 54F? lol

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Waymon: The Sapphire single slot's not like the proper cards, it has a uniform analog fan speed controller like the old Radeons did, not a few preset settings like the stock 3870 cooler. The minimum speed though (5% in ATItool) is 2000rpm, consider then that the max is 3500...
    As it turns out I was wrong about the card being faulty, it's just loud, and it needs to be in a PC with drivers before it'll scale back to 2D clock speeds...

19. Freekman

Freekman Regular member

i survive w/ a jacket