1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

container format identification

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by ruygrok, Apr 16, 2007.

1. ruygrok

ruygrok Member

Hello there,When I installed Super© convertor it became a bit more clear that there is some distinction into container format (what I understand: a controller to organize video & audio streams) and video- & audio codecs. So I guessed that a videofile should be characterized by a relevant container-extension to enable video-editing software to extract it's content (assuming the relevant codecs present).However, using e.g. GSpot, or Media info,AVIcodec etc. it's unclear to me what the actual meaning of the videofile extension is, it doesn't seem a reference to a container format.
    Does someone knows a paper, book, article that may clearup the evt. use of the different container formats and the many (sub)variants of videocodec extensions to enable a relevant use of the forecalled Super© convertor?[/b]

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

GSpot will list if it is an avi, mpg, etc. Make sure that you are using the latest build, although I think MediaInfo still supports more formats.

3. ruygrok

ruygrok Member

Hello Celtic,
    I agree, but this doesn't solve the problem of using Super C . Unfortunately I'm too new to this forum to introduce here an image concerning, but this convertor needs 3 inputs to start with, resp.
    Output Container -- Output Video Codec -- Output Audio Codec
    [Containers: e.g. avi, asf, mov, mpg (I and II),mp4, ogg,wmv etc, which 'look like' video codecs, but apparently [?] are not.
    Video codecs: DV , flash video, MPEG I or II, MPEG 4, DivX and Xvid, H263, H264 etc] Observe the confusion, see e.g. the case of MPEG variants, when attempt to combine a container and a videocodec.
    Just in case you are interested, the link is [url=http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html][/url]
    I appreciate your contribution