1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contract problem concerning the iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone - General discussion' started by __Ronin__, Sep 14, 2008.

1. __Ronin__

__Ronin__ Member

Hi. I was thinking of getting an iPhone and I need some help with this problem. I don't live in the US, but a relative of mine might go there. Is it possible if he can get me an iPhone 3G from America without a contract or a SIM card so that when he brings it here I can use it with a local SIM card?

Thanks!

2. david456

david456 Regular member

Apple and AT&T require U.S. iPhone purchasers to activate at the store when purchased. eBay.com has iPhone 3G's without contracts; some also are jailbroken/unlocked. However, you will pay a premium for a no contract iPhone 3G.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  3. __Ronin__

__Ronin__ Member

What do you mean exactly by "paying a premium"? What exactly does "activating" an iPhone mean. As well as that, is it possible to buy an iPhone from the Apple store but activating it somewhere else? Also, can I buy an iPhone 3G from somewhere other than the Apple store, AT&T or eBay? I checked on Amazon.com and the Apple website but you can't order it :(

Thanks for your help!

4. david456

david456 Regular member

In the U.S., you can buy an iPhone 3G at Apple, AT&T, and Best Buy stores. You are required to activate the iPhone (i.e. sign up for a cellular service contract for at least 2 years) before leaving the store with the iPhone.

If you purchase an iPhone 3G on eBay, you will not pay the $299 or $399 that AT&T cellular service subscribers pay for the iPhone 3G at an Apple, AT&T, or Best Buy store. You will pay several hundred dollars more--a premium--because the eBay seller has obtained an iPhone 3G without a contract, which is a commodity that is in demand.

5. technific

technific Member

Why not just buy it in Australia.
    It actually works out cheaper here and you are also on a network.
    There are probably many complications such as having to unlock it and not being able to software update it. Problems like these give us all headaches and so it would be better if you didn't go down that route.

6. samintx

samintx Regular member

David: do you know anything about the Turbo Sim to unlock 3G's?