1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controlling CPU Fan PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by RyanB, Feb 20, 2005.

1. RyanB

RyanB Member

Hello there some help I need to know how to control my cpu fan but using the bios but I have a problem since my prescott dosn't allow my cpu settings to be configured under an idle temp of 54C I can't fiddle with it my Pc runs idle at 21-27C normal at 2700RPM.
    I honestly don't give a shit about the sound coming out I want a cool cpu under my control, would I require a BIOS update or something to get that 54 degree temp DOWN. Please help any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm using the very nice intel stock cooler with thermal compound supplied. Don't knock it - Intel coolers are some of the best around.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

prescotts run hotter than the northwood do/did as i'm running about 20c higher than i did with same speed northwood

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Either change out your Intel Fan whether you love it or not, or get a bunch of fans inside that case to move the hot air out. Intel CPU fans in a normal case will run temps of 51c and up with a Prescott CPU and that's the bottom line.

Look at my Northwood O/Clocked to 3.74 and idle temps of 31c to 33c.

4. RyanB

RyanB Member

So there's no chance of getting the manufact. temp any lower.

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

They designed that fan with a 3 wire plug to regulate itself based on your board configuration. Look up your Asus board specs and manual and see if you can setup a different speed for your CPU fan. My board can only have settings of warning speeds for a CPU fan. I would suggest looking at other/optional CPU fans that have their own potentiometer or rheostat for changing/adjusting fan speeds. Also look at other cases out there that can help with air circulation. Mounting a side case fan forcing air directly at the CPU fan can also help.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  6. RyanB

RyanB Member

My mobo temp is good at 30C constant I just wanted to boost my Fan to 5400RPM (optionally) manually but if I twiddle to the settings manual the RPM goes down to 2100 and the temp rises to 40C (cpu)

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

than you need a seperate controller that does speed & temp