1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controlling Write Speed for DLs in Nero

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by hobbit112, Feb 21, 2007.

1. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Hi All!

I have recently encountered something which is quickly turning into a problem for me.

I am doing/trying to do full, uncompressed backups of my DVDs to Double Layer and/or Dual Layer disks. I am using Nero 6.6.0.18 writing to a Benq 1655, either Verbatim or Ritek disks (I have both).

The issue I am having is that with the newer 8x disks, I seem to have gone into the coaster business because I cannot set the write/burn speed in Nero, it is set (and grayed out) at maximum. Last night I made three, lovely looking coasters out of 8x media before I grabbed one of my few 2.4x media I have left and got a successful burn.

This is going to become more of an issue as the 2.4x media fades into the past and becomes unavailable.

This is not an issue with DVD+/-R disks, I have full speed control over them, only the DLs.

I am seriously considering learning to knit so I can edge these disks in yarn and give them away as Christmas presents this year!

Any suggestions, comments or even rude noises would be appreciated!

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

For some reason Nero 6 has a problem with Dual Layer DVD writing. The best program to use is ImgBurn. It is a free program that you can download here. http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/imgburn.cfm

You can set your book type if using +R media and the program writes better than Nero 6 to Dual Layer. I know because I made a few coasters myself! Give ImgBurn a go and see what your results are.

3. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

It may not help, but you might check to see if your firmware for the burner is updated.

4. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

I'm with syxguns on this one Nero has a problem with D/l burning FULL STOP.

5. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

@ Syxguns, Gwendolin,

Will give Imgburn a try, nothing really to lose. I do have a copy of Nero 7 Ultra around here someplace. Installed it way back when and had a terrible experience with it so uninstalled, cleaned and reloaded my Nero 6. Would be nice if Nero and Recode would allow speed control on the DLs as I keep finding out new and interesting things to try with them.

Should be able to give an update tomorrow, will try some new disks then.

@ Saltgrass,

I've got my burner, (Benq 1655)flashed to BCIB already. I've learned to stay ahead of the curve with respect to the firmware aspect of the burners.

6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@hobbit112

Your benq 1655 will love ImgBurn and Verbatim discs. I have the 1650 Benq and imgburn is the ticket to building and writing the ISO file to make an exact copy on a DL disc. One thing about speed setting, do you have a blank disc in Nero when you try to set the speed? Some programs won't let you set the speed without a blank to give you the options.

7. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

@garmoon

Yep, sure do. After ripping the dvd, I open Nero Recode 2, load the dvd and wait for Recode to analyse, then I insert a blank disk and wait for the drive to initialize before going to the next page on Recode (for the burn). When using DLs, the speed is grayed out on maximum. On DVD-Rs it allows me to choose my burning speed.

I agree about the Verbatims, it does love them, also loves to Taiyo Yudens, too bad they're not making DLs, I would pay the premium(for printables, that is)! I've also had fairly good results with the Riteks generally, I usually get scan scores in the low 90's with them.

Also too bad no one is making hub-printable DLs (at least the DLs I would use!)

Looking forward to this evening, I've already installed ImgBurn and looked it over. Hoping for good things.

8. syxguns

syxguns Active member

hobbit112-
    ImgBurn has the capability to create the ISO image for burning if you are just burning a VIDEO_TS folder. If you have questions on how to do that let us know.

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@syxguns

He's using ImgBurn to copy DVDs to DL discs. No reason to use anything but ImgBurn's ISO built files and then write them with ImgBurn. Can't get any easier.

10. syxguns

syxguns Active member

garmoon-
    You and I understand that, however, someone that is new to ImgBurn might not know how to use the build feature. You see I don't compress to an ISO file. I compress to a VIDEO_TS folder. If you want to burn a VIDEO_TS folder you have to use the build feature in ImgBurn.

My buddy "alkohol" wrote a guide that is useful.
    Example: http://my.afterdawn.com/alkohol/blog_entry.cfm/1405

11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Syxguns

Of course you're right. there is a learning curve to the build feature. it took me a while to figure it out. The guides will help.

12. syxguns

syxguns Active member

garmoon-
    Yeah, it took me a while to figure it out also. I learned a long time ago that no matter how I explain something that pictures paint a thousand words. Because hobbit112 is new to ImgBurn I thought he might need a little help with the procedure. He/she has the link now if he/she decides that he/she needs it!

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I just showed my daughter an hour ago, how to build and write the ISO with ImgBurn. She took a page of notes; but once you learn it, it's an easy and excellent program.

14. forktine

forktine Member

I use "Folder2Iso Version 1.3" ( Freeware ) http://www.trustfm.net/divx/index.html It will as name says turn any type of folder into an ISO even direct from DVD If I want to reduce DVD9 I mount image with Daemon Tools and Shrink it... 99.9% of what I burn is done with ImgBurn. Folder2ISO and Decrypter are where ISO creation is concerned just Jorge Schilling's "mkisofs" with a frontend, as are a lot of commercial rip-offs. Always have Nero in but rarely use it. Imgburn is far and away the best tool for handling D/L that I've come across... and I've tried nearly every trialware that had a KG or was free that I've seen.

15. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Thanks for the link to the guide, it's already come in handy.

Garmoon is correct, I am backing up my DVDs to DLs, no compression/shrinking. I did a couple of shrinks & burns and wasn't too thrilled with the results I got (pixelation mainly), and went back to straight backup. (I already had a bunch of DL disks on hand from converting my VHS video library to DVD).

Am playing with ImgBurn right now an have encountered something not in the guide. ImgBurn is asking for me to create the layer break position.

Any ideas?

16. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Let imgburn select the layer break. Under setting write tab, top right of window> options: layer break (for DL media) check "calculate optimal"

17. syxguns

syxguns Active member

The guide is for using the build mode not for compressing the DVD. The reason you probably had pixelation issue's was because you were compressing your images too much. There are programs that we are familiar with to help you with that issue. As far as the DL mode in ImgBurn. Let it do it for you. There is a layer break area under options where you can tell it to calculate for optimal performance or something like that. I don't burn very many DL's

garmoon could tell you for sure!

18. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

ImgBurn still wants me to select the layer break. The "calculate optimal" selection is under "write". Apparently it doesn't apply when you are doing a build.

19. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

You know the old saying "If all else fails, read the instructions", well I finally went to the imgburn website and read their guide for buring DLs. It states you need to select a layer break and give some slight hints on which one to choose if given a selection.

Got one burning now, with let you know how it turns out.

20. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

It usually gives 2 or 3 choices. I usually pick the best one it picks. So much for automation. It should just select the best one it finds and continue on.