1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

conversion (avi to dvd) no longer contain audio HELP PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by mjkass, Feb 13, 2005.

1. mjkass

mjkass Member

Im having problems converting avi/divx format to dvd, i have done it so many times in the past with great success..even taught my other half how to do it.
    What problems im having now is that no matter what avi/divx file i am converting to dvd...the resulting playback of the files contain no audio i have tried using TMPGenc express
    cucusoft avi to dvd converter
    mainconcept encoder
    and DVDlab to auther my files, all of the finished results contain no audio can sombody point me in the right direction please, i have even tried old avi files that have converted fine in the past but now they contain no audio when they are converted to dvd.
    Your help would be greatly appreciated.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

You might be in one of these 2 cases:

1) your AVI doesn't contain any audio at all (sometimes, even raraly, it happens). In this case, you're done!

2) your AVI contains a compressed sound (like, AC3. You can find it with VirtualDubMod. Read http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/129217) which TMPGen and your other movie encoders cannot decode. In this case you must, as it's written (already it was!) in http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/129217, extract the 'compressed sound' and re-encode it with the wonderful BeSweet in a form that can be used by TMPGenc or other encoders (MP2 for SVCD or MP2 for DVD; again, read http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/129217 for the details). The only difference between the 2 is the sampling frequency (44.1 kHz for (S)VCD and 48 kHz for DVD).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  3. mjkass

mjkass Member

TO ALDACO12

Thanx very much for your suggestions, but i have solved the problem.
    The original files did contain audio, as i had tried to convert old avi files that had converted fine before, so which left me scratching my head. The only other thing i could think of was that i had just recently installed windows SP2 for XP. As myself and my mrs have converted 100`s of files before that Sp2 upgrade was the only significant change made to our pc that i could think of.
    To rectify the problem all i did was uninstall my encoder program and dvd lab and re-insalled them. this seemed to have solved my problem. But Thank you for your advice...its nice to know that people are out there to help the dim ones see the light!

4. topgazza

topgazza Member

Forgive me for being dumb but I have the same "no sound" problem. I have downloaded Virtualdub and Be sweet but can see no way to use them. Be Sweet gets me through 5 steps then opens a notepad popup, why?

Virtualdub is a nystery as it doesn't even mention audio files. Is there a guide for thickos like me ?

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

First, read http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/129217 .
    Second, install the BeSweet GUI (But since TMPGenc can directly load the uncompressed WAV it's useless), just learn the Settings for VirtualDub:

1) set Audio___Full processing mode (it forces VirtuaDub to uncompress the sound)
    2) do file__save WAV (it saves the BIG uncomressed WAV audio file on your HD).
    3) load that WAV as TMPGenc's 'audio input'

6. topgazza

topgazza Member

Merci!

I'll have a stab at that tonight....

7. topgazza

topgazza Member

Just ran it now and it finished but came up with a memory type error within the program(?). From recollection the video data was something silly like 90gb! Trying it again now. Not sure where it si saving any audi file to unless it asks me when it finishes, hopefully without a mem prob.

8. topgazza

topgazza Member

Ok, it finished. But...nothing can't see a wav file or anything. I know I'm being dumb but there is no "save -WAV option or any indication that the program has done anything other than run the avi file.

9. tudor

tudor Member

I don't get audio using TMPGenc from any movie.

I use virtual dub to extract a wav file (full procesing, conversion to 48000 hz, save wav file) then use the wav file as sound source in TMPGenc
    works perfectly

10. topgazza

topgazza Member

I managed to extract the audio but can't remember which drop down menu. I got all excited and was pressing everything in site. I can figure out the full processing and 48000 but remind me which menu selects audio save wav please?

11. topgazza

topgazza Member

Sorry guys, stay with me. Dragged my source avi and new 98meg wav file into TMPGE and ran program. I now have an m2v file of 3gb plus a new 981meg wav file. Is there a process I'm missing now to burn to DVD or have I cocked it up?

12. topgazza

topgazza Member

Did it! Fantastic results. Didn't realise you had to rerun the M2v + "new" 900meg wav through another program to produce the VOB files for burning. Used Canopus. Virtialdub is not intuitive but I think I've sussed it.

Thanks for your advice

13. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Anyway, the VirtualDub's command is File__Save WAV.
    Before doing this, you can select, in VirtualDub, Audio__Direct Stream Copy (default) which saves, for instance, the audio stream as it is (for instance, .AC3), but it will have the .WAV extension anyway. But it will be small, since is a compressed sound stream.
    If you choose Audio__Full stream processing, the audio stream you save with File__Save WAV will be a real uncompressed (and big! Approx. 10.1 MB per minute, 1.2 GB for an average 120' movie!) WAV file, and this (using the uncompressed WAV stream instead of the compressed one as 'audio input' in TMPGenc) is the only way to correct the problem that some AVI movies become out-of-sync when you convert them to mpeg (as I wrote in the 'sticky' thread). But you need to have a proper decompressor (e.g. AC3 --> WAV decompressor) on your PC!
    Otherwise, you need to convert the fake 'WAV' to 'MP2 for SVCD' with BeSWeet + BeSweet GUI. Remember to check the 'downconvert sample rate' box, if you need to perform 48 kHz (DVD) --> 44.1 kHz [(S)VCD].

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  14. topgazza

topgazza Member

Cheers Aldaco. I have been using the VD gui not the command line version which explains my initial confusion. I must admit after getting used to the prog, most times hands on is the best way to learn, and seeing the results I am very impressed. 3gb vid file being combined with a seperate 1 gb sound file and coming in perfect sych is damned impressive.

Thought I would persist with the thread as a side effect, hopefully, is other new users of VDub will see it and the sticky and learn from my mistakes. So thanks for your patience.