1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert AVI, Xvid, DivX to DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by koola, Nov 15, 2003.

1. plur

plur Member

Well first of all thanks [bold]PFC-Kluge[/bold] for ur help, but
    the
    problem was with the div4 codec but i alredy fixed it, now
    get audio and video =] <--- very happy about it. but now
    the problem is with the video is al weirdo, the actors look like
    if they were on a diet everething is really really long on the
    screen so i went from 720 to 320 i think so and still nothing
    changed so i dont know what to do so if any of you guys
    would give a hint ;] ill be very happy and thank full..

Happy Encoding/burning to you all
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]this is the only way i can learn[/small]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2004
  2. PFC-Kluge

PFC-Kluge Member

Gredlen,
    I haven't had good success changing the source range either. The best way to modify the file is while it is still in AVI format with an AVI editor (Windows Movie Maker in XP works). Then don't even mess with the source range box, just go to "next".

Good luck.

3. PFC-Kluge

PFC-Kluge Member

Plur,
    It sounds like you are converting the video from wide screen to 4:3 format. If you use the standard settings in TMPG for DVD NTSC, it should convert it to look exactly it the way it looks in your avi file.

4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

@gredlen
    try in enviromental settings and set priority to directshow higher. (said this countless times)

5. Will27

Will27 Guest

I have been trying to encode divx files with tmpgenc...about 700mb in size, exactly the way the guide states
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm ) . I m having a problem though. When i am either going to NTSC or PAL I cant seem to go under the disk capacity. I try to lower the vid under 2000 for 720 x 480 but u cant cause it will be low res. And i was told i shouldnt lower the audio under 384. So now i cant seem to get the disk capactiy under 100. I have tried NTC or PAL low res but u cant use 720 x 480 , which causes problems b/c u TMPG author and IFO edit dont let u author dvd files with 352 x 480. What should i do? Should i lower the audio rate, which sometimes wont even do the trick at 160. Does it even matter if i go a little over the disk capacity? SHould I split the divx file? I would like to have these divx flies on one dvd with decent quality. I would greatly appreciate it if someone can help me =). Im sure there is a solution to this .

6. imblotto

imblotto Member

How long does it take most to convert the avi using tmpgenc? Mine takes 9 hours for low quality. Im using a 2.0 ghz pentium 4. Should it take that long?

7. newbiee

newbiee Member

nope it shoud not take that long i have an AMD 2000+ (1.67ghz) and mine takes about max 5 hours for highly encoded video so i think that your procesor does not have enough multimedia extensions or packages (i think thats what it is called)or something is wrong with your processor

8. RyanZ06

RyanZ06 Guest

Just Used MainConcept MPEG Encoder ---> then TMPGEnc author to create dvd files and chapters--->Tryed to burn with TMPGEnc didnt work (some error came up) so i simply used nero 6.

Benefits are MPEG Encoder is quicker than TMPGEnc Plus, but i wasnt to happy about the quality of the DVD made with Mainconcept so i am going to go through the method using TMPGEnc plus this time, and see the difference. (Not looking forward to the long wait of converting though) :(

I'll let u know what i think :)

9. happyuser

happyuser Guest

There is no need to convert your AVI back into mpeg2 for the DVD: go out there and rent a DVD movie, then use DVDDecrypter to rip as image this DVD movie onto your hard drive, and then use Daemon tool to mount this image, then use DVDShrink to reduce the size of the menu file ( VTS_01_0.VOB if VTS_01 is your main movie )( use this DVDShrink to reduce ONLY THE MENU, but nothing else ), and then feed the result into DVD-REBUILDER and make a multi-pass dvd conversion using CCE. Refer to the link below for some important tips on how to use DVD-REBUILDER:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/87438
    Tmpegenc will be a name of yesterday, the name of old technology: it can be used to extract some files.bmp out of your VTS_01_0.VOB if VTS_01 is your main movie, and can be used to see how long a particular piece of video is: Tmpegenc should not be used for encoding mpeg2 for DVD anymore: it is too slow: a solution would be DVD-REBUILDER or the Big 3 methods: refer to the above link for some important tips on how to use DVD-REBUIDER.

10. RyanZ06

RyanZ06 Guest

That kinda defeats the object of converting, obviously u can do that but its no good if u have .avi :)

11. Casper08

Casper08 Member

Hi, im having a problem koola. Ive been trying to convert a dvix file with the software TMPGEnc and the help of your website, but it said not supported format. Can you help me out.

12. Casper08

Casper08 Member

P.S Convert a Dvix to DVD.

13. batch

batch Member

Having a few problems already mentioned in this thread, but I couldn't see a resolution.

Basically I followed your guide and ended up with tmpgenc creating 2 files the audio and video files. However the audio track is always silent. I have tried both MP3 and linear (wav) sound with no joy. Please help...

14. b3ckm4n

b3ckm4n Guest

Bump, I'm having the same problem as Batch. No matter what I do, I keep getting the same problem. I've followed the guide word for word, but when I get the two files the video works fine but the audio is silent. And once you author it the VOBs are also silent, I'm not sure what the problem is or what I can do to fix it. Any help would be appreciated :)

15. jd_303

jd_303 Member

Hi there , having a dilema myself here.
    I have about 12 avi files (unsure if they are encoded as divx or xvid as there is no file summary attached, but they all play fine in media player and I have all codecs installed. I make a dvd in nero vision express and when it attempts to create all the menu's it just crashes out, no message just disappears. any ideas? I have reinstalled ,downgraded, upgraded etc...no changes.
    can anyone tell me also if I have 5 700 mb divx movies and want to create a dvdr that I can read on my home player, will I be able to create the dvd with all 5 movies on it, or will they need to be expanded so much that I cant, I dont yet understand this yet as i havent successfullky created any dvd yet.
    thanks in advance.
    JD_303

16. batch

batch Member

I had a reply on another forum that sorted my sound problem out. I had a VBR (see below) problem. When I opened my DIVX in VirtualDubMOD it reported an error. I told it to fix the error and followed the VBR instructions below. I now have sound on my DVD :)

I a not sure if/how much his procedure effects quality though...
    --------------------------
    The audiostream is probably in either .AC3 format or Variable Bitrate MPEG Layer 3 (VBR .MP3). Load the .AVI file into VirtualDub (or any of its variants) or NanDub.

If it proves to be .AC3:

In TMPGEnc, under the "Environmental Settings" "VFAPI plugin" tab rightclick on the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" and increase to one greater than the highest priority of listed items.. This will enable TMPGEnc to accept a properly encoded .AVI with .AC3 audio for input...

If it proves to be VBR:

Simply use VirtualDubMOD (Different than standard VirtualDub), to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
    Using VirtualDubMOD to Convert "VBR" .MP3 to Uncompressed .WAV

1) Load the .AVI file into VirtualDubMOD (a different program than the standard VirtualDub)

2) From the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Direct Stream Copy"

3) From the "Streams" dropdown menu, select "Stream List" - and rightclick on the audio stream, then select "Full Processing Mode" - then click on "OK"

4) From the "File" dropdown menu, save the .AVI with a new filename

Last edited: Jul 6, 2004
  17. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

try this one on for size DVDRip Xvid AC3.avi

TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress , TMPGEnc Plus 2.5, with
    TMPGEnc AC3 Codec... would not convert this.

Why not?

TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 gave me a video only... okay got more codec's... and more codec's I think i have to many codec's one should have worked?

oh that ain't all ... I delete the one it made before I got all the codec's when I retry I got error... ain't that something?

Does anyone know what went wrong? any help will be appreicated ...

Thanks

arnold2

i like the splash gets me where i want to be faster...

only qualified to ask questions.

18. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

sorry,
    need to add that I have made many good DVD's from
    AVI files of all types with TMPGEnc Plus 2.5
    and TMPGEnc DVD Author w/ AC3 codec... I could not believe it did not work this time.

I have been looking all over the place to find out what went wrong... Thanks again arnold2

19. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

TMPGEnc DVD Author ( TDA )

In case of audio synchronization problem, we advise to re-encode the source file using an MPEG editor software.
    Since version 2.520, TMPGEnc Plus include the same CRI MPEG decoder than TMPGEnc DVD Author and therefore sound problem will certainly occures too. To avoid this, disable the CRI decoder in the VFAPI plug-in and enable the MPEG-2 decoder from Cyberlink or Ligos used until 2.513.
    Such decoders have to be isntalled on the computer to be used.

cf: audio sync trouble

I bought MPEG-2 decoder from Ahead software why wouldn't that work? I went to these sites and can not find where to download it... thay had a lot of other stuff there. Thanks

20. User457

User457 Member

HI

Hope someone can help me here.

I was following the guide to the letter and everything worked fine... untill i had to format my drive and reinstall everything.

Now when i follow the guide i get no audio and now i'm receiving this error...

Read error occurred at address 00012F40 of module "TMPGEnc.exe" with 20656850

I click ok and it shuts down... whats happening... the guide is great but now i can't get it working ???

TIA User457@hotmail.com