1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert DVD to AVI

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by TaGY2K, May 25, 2005.

1. TaGY2K

TaGY2K Member

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question.. I am an newbie..

I want to convert and DVD to avi.. what is the best way of doing it and I want the best quality as possible to do it.. Is there an program that will do it in on steps?

2. stardust

stardust Regular member

3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Use GordianKnot
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/gordian_knot.cfm
    With the XviD codec
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/xvid_koepi_unstable.cfm
    You need a nice 2-pass rip for good quality.
    It is important to adjust the XviD encoder options for maximum quality...
    Check out the GKnot, and we can help with XviD quality settings if you get it installed & running.
    Also important to encode AVIs that will playback okay on standalone devices (ie. Arcos etc.)
    Regards

Last edited: May 25, 2005
  4. TaGY2K

TaGY2K Member

Hi, I have download both of them now .. the thing is don't know how to use GordianKnot .. what is the setting i am using for the better quality to rip from DVD to AVI or DIXV or XViD...

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

6. dennalynn

dennalynn Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2007
  7. DJ-Rikki

DJ-Rikki Member

Could try:

DVDShrink (set to NOT split to 1gb then rip only the movie in the reauthor bit to your HDD)

Pull VOB file into VirtualDUb mod

Set audio compression and video compression

Save AVI file.

R.

8. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

DivX and XviD are both codecs to encode MPEG4 AVI (audio/video interleave).
    Ack! Shrink is not involved (in any way) in the production of a DVD backup to MPEG4. Use DVDDecrypter in IFO mode instead.
    This is exactly what GordianKnot was created to do :^)
    Doing it yourself (manually) makes it difficult and unnecessarily challenging to achieve proper results.
    GKnot also includes the very valuable Nandub, a mod of VDub that works with AC3 and VBR MP3 audio (bonus).
    @ DJ-Rikki
    Friend, it sounds like you too need to try GKnot, LoL ;^)
    @ TaGY2K
    What's up - you figured it out yet?
    There are many guides available, everywhere.
    I was going to produce a concise guide detailing my methods, but it would be somewhat redundant as this info has long been available.
    Check http://www.doom9.org/xvid-guides.htm
    @ andmerr
    Howzit going? Yes I used to use Jackei's solution DVD2AVI, but when DivX introduced the nTH-pass concept (circa 2003) this product was broken. I take it that it's now functional again...?
    But honestly, it's difficult to improve on GordianKnot - except n00bies might understandably prefer AutoGordianKnot (which is ridiculously easy :^) but for the knowledgeable, not as powerful:
    http://www.autogk.me.uk/
    L8R

9. TaGY2K

TaGY2K Member

Hi, The_OGS if I follow this instruction
    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/autogk.htm
    would I get the same result as when I am doing it manually? and how good of a quality do I get?

Another question .. is you know how people release dvdrip... what format do they use(how they do it) and software?..

10. DaisyLin

DaisyLin Member

Hi, I think WinAVI Video Converter is your best choice to convert DVD to avi. You can load a trial version of this problem to see how it works. Actually, I've used this problem for about a year, and never experienced any problem. Most of all, the output files all have stunning video and audio quality!
    By the way, you can find it from http://www.winavi.com/video-converter.htm

11. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ DaisyLin : i did look at winavi originally but found that the version of vso divxto dvd more appealing as it was free

12. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

XviD and DivX don't have to be used with avi as a container. You can use pretty much any container you like.

DivX2DVD? Wrong way around.

For best quality if you are using XviD you would probably be better off with ARCalculator. But if you don't know what you are doing AutoGK is probably best. No point in tweaking stuff if you don't know what it does.

Excluding filtering, basically any app will produce the same quality as it is using the same codecs. Although some apps may force colourspace conversions, thus reducing quality.

13. windowup

windowup Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2005
  14. kleppto

kleppto Member

I have a registered copy of [bold]DVD-to-AVI v2.1[/bold] I am having no success in converting my dvd to divx(AVI). I choose the codec[bold](Divx v6 or Xvid[/bold]) & it starts fine, I get a great quality Piece of the movie (Generaly 200mb) anyone know what i'm doing wrong? I have tried in vain to find a How to guide for this Program. Help

15. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

What does that mean, registered?
    Does that mean it cost money? If you paid money, you require technical support.
    If there is no tech support - why would you pay money?
    GKnot and XviD are free, and there are more guides available than one could read in one's lifetime...
    No.
    Regards

16. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ kleppto : we need more info:

error messages you have recieved?
    media you are using?
    pc stats?
    O'h WHERE DID you buy this program?
    if you have a log that would help as well

how about you go through the steps with us to where you fail

17. kleppto

kleppto Member

Thanks for the Tip, The program (DVD to AVI) is shareware with limitations if unregistered. The copy i have is registered. That means that i payed for the licence.I have found thier website to be les than informative. I was attempting to convert a Movie (Elektra) I ripped to disk (HDD) using DVD Decryter. I am still a newbie to a lot of DVD & Divx procedeures. treat me gently & promise you will still respect me in the morning...

18. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ @ kleppto :

of which part didnt you get of: we need more info.

I need all error messages you have recieved?
    media you are using?
    pc stats?

if you have a log that would help as well ?

you still arent giving us all the info. so that we can help you to solve this problem that you are experiencing

19. kleppto

kleppto Member

[bold]That is all the info I have! I've mentioned the programs ,the movie,
    I have a P4 MHz, 1gig ram, lite-on DVD writer, & I had bacon & eggs for breakfast!!!! What I was asking if there is someone familiar with the program (as Reported in earlier posting) that can offer a (creative) suggestion & not caustic comments[/bold] But Thanks For the effort anyway.....

20. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ kleppto: