1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert from VHS to DVD through WMM not working

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Spider323, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Hi, I'm trying to convert my old vhs movies onto DVD. I want to use Windows Movie Maker yet there is one problem. When I connect the whs to my capture card through composite and click capture from video device I get an error message saying "a video capture device was not detected. verify that a device is turned on and connected properly, and then try again." How can I fix this problem. I know there has to be some way. Is there like an option I can choose to select if I want to choose USB, Firewire, or Composite for the capture? And through movie maker can I put a like 2 1/2 hour movie on a 2 hour dvd? thanks.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

First off you can Not use "Windows Movie Maker" to go from VHS to DVD..
    Why?? Because DVD uses the Mpeg-2 format and WMM doesn"t create files of that Format...
    Another thing is that WMM will only Capture to WMV Format when captureing from an Analogue Capture device and WMV Format Sucks for Quality and it needs a LOT of CPU power to Compress to that Format at Full DVD Resolution..I doubt that I could even do it on my 3.1ghz PC without dropping Frames....

So I suggest that you use different Software because as we all Know you get what you pay For and since WMM is Free so you basicly get Nothing...

If you want to Capture to a Format that you actually can make a DVD From then I suggest that you try "InterVideo WinDVR 3.0" as it produces very Good Quality Mpeg-2 files that can be authored Directly to DVD useing any DVD Authoring Program and without re-encodeing....

Cheers