1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CONVERT HARD DRIVE DVD FILE TO ISO

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by megs8888, Sep 17, 2007.

1. megs8888

megs8888 Member

Hi all just a quick question I have copied some of my movies to hard drive, they are all 4.7gb which takes up room!!!

I have just used a program called fair use which is great as I can now convert my Dvd's to a 700mb format and they look good so far!!

What I now want to do is this. With the movies i have on my HD they need to be ISO images I believe to convert them to 700mb with fair use program.

How do I convert them to that ?? which is the best program (free is good)

Thanks all for your continued help with my little probs.

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

try dvdshrink 3.2 thats what I use. When you start the program go to "open files" and browse to the VIDEO_TS file and just backup to ISO.
    There are some ISO programs that can convert files to ISO, but Fairuse won't recognize them , but it will recognize ISO files made by dvdshrink.
    If dvdshrink doesn't recognize your video files, run them through FixVTS (even though it's not updated anymore it still works). That will sometimes fix them.

3. megs8888

megs8888 Member

Thanks for your help, I have shrink, and understand it fairly well although im not up to date with converting to ISO file, so how do I do it, do I open the file on my hard drive and back up if I back up to a folder will it then be ISO file? any help will be great thanks again mate.

4. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

5. jony218

jony218 Guest

Your correct, when you press "back it up" with dvdshrink, the next screen will give you an option of saving it as an ISO or as VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS files. You just need to designate where to save your ISO files.

Like you, I had many dvd files that I needed to convert to ISO to use with Fairuse. I tried UltraISO and Imgburn, both will convert the dvd files to ISO but Fairuse wouldn't recognize them as valid files.

DVDshrink works fine on most dvd files and it's free. (run the files through Fixvts on the ones it won't recognize)I learned a while back to just backup my dvd files without subtitiles or multiple languages, I just check the main language and backup. Sometimes when converting to divx, I've ended up with the directors soundtrack. I keep it very simple now.

Once you convert your first DVD file to ISO with dvdshrink, the rest will be easy. And as a side note you can save all your dvd's as ISO, and use VLC player (free) to watch them.