1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert MKV files to a playable format on the PS3 or DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by pc_guy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. pc_guy

pc_guy Member

I need to figure out how to convert MKV files to a universal format without losing quality. The difference is, I don’t care if this turns my 8gb file to 20gb as long as I’m not sacrificing quality.
    Mkvtoolnix has a coversion tool that converts to a high bit rate but I haven’t been able to wait out the time it takes. Anyone have any ideas?

2. pc_guy

pc_guy Member

I also have an idea but I’m waiting for my new laptop (8 gigs ram, 1 gig video card, 1.6 quad core) to get here before I do. I’ve never seen anyone suggest this so here it goes.
    I have one 8.0gb .mkv file that I can play with power dvd9. (I have done this already)
    I am going to use mkvtoolnix to split this file in half and burn onto two dvds so I can store it off of my hard drive.
    Then I am going to play this movie my laptop and run a 20ft HDMI cable to my high def 50” inch TV.
    My laptob resolution is 1080p so I can either just clone the screens or set up a split screen and I don’t think it will make any difference.
    Hence, my laptop is now my dvd player to watch high def movies on my living room TV and im not losing Quality.

3. alc6907

alc6907 Member

I use tsMuxer to convert mkv files to avchd discs. It adds just a little bit of size to the file, but not much. The discs look great on my hdtv. You can also convert to bd-r if the file is too big to fit on a dvd-r or dvd+r dl.

4. pc_guy

pc_guy Member

Actually when I got home yesterday I learned about mkv2vob and imgburn which converts the .mkv file to a avchd file and burns it to disk. I’ve done 1080p (two disks) and 720 (one disk). Both look unbelievable. Thanks for the response though, had I not had some extra time last night I would have been going nuts still.

5. KYBoy

KYBoy Member

I use a program called MKV to VOB to play HD videos on my PS3. I transfer the VOB file from my laptop to an 8GB flash drive, then plug the flash drive in the PS3. Alot cheaper than buying discs...

More than one video? I believe a large External Hard Drive will work just like the flash drive.

6. pc_guy

pc_guy Member

That does work even though you'll have to split the 1080p movie files due to the outdated FAT32 system the PS3 uses. I am yet to see a 1080p movie under 4 gigs.

You are right though, the DVD thing is a preference, its just easier than pulling the data from a large external HDD to a flash drive and then playing it.

7. KYBoy

KYBoy Member

Yeah it'll still work. The program mentioned can be configured to split the file for fat32. So a 20gb file would be converted and split into five 3.99gb files. When playing the files on the PS3, they play uninterrupted though. I guess its sorta complicated. Just wanted to share another option for ya.

8. pc_guy

pc_guy Member

Nope, nothing complicated about it. I completely understand what you mean. I split the 1080p movies myself to fit a DVD. I am just saying I like DVD storing for two reasons.

1) I can download and play them on a PS3 or my Blu Ray player. (Separate TV)

2) 1080p movies are are up to 15 gigs. I don’t want store them on my PC hard drive. Also, I don’t want them on an external hard drive because when I want to watch one I’d need to transfer from the large external to a flash drive.

9. EbolaZ

EbolaZ Member

I have a mkv file that I would like to convert to a file that plays on a standard DVD without losing resolution. You guys seem to have figured it out but it seems like you are playing your final DVD in another machine besides a regular DVD player. But can you suggest a way to convert an mkv file into a DVD file that plays on a standard DVD player without losing resolution?

There's this guide here on how to "Convert MKV to DVD with freeware Avi2DVD" but looks complicated. I'm sure I could figure it out but do you think this is the way to go?

Thanks for the help!

10. alc6907

alc6907 Member

You can't keep the same resolution using a dvd player because it's max resolution is 720x480. If you want to keep the same resolution you would have to have a blu-ray player to play it. You could use ConvertXtoDVD to change it to 720x480 to play in a dvd player if you'd like.

11. EbolaZ

EbolaZ Member

Thanks! I understand what you are saying. So, my top priority at this point is to be able to convert this *.mkv file and play the new file on a regular DVD player.

Is this the best resolution I could get that still can be played on a regular DVD player? Also, is ConvertXtoDVD freeware? Avi2DVD appears to be freeware.

12. alc6907

alc6907 Member

Yes, 720x480 is the best you can get with a dvd player. ConvertXtoDVD isn't freeware, but is the easiest one to use if you ask me.