1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

convert mp4 files to dvd

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by jays2k, Oct 11, 2007.

1. jays2k

jays2k Member

anyone know the best way to convert mp4 video files to dvd? i have a couple mp4's for my ipod that i wanted to convert to dvd. i have a mac and used toast, which put it to dvd, but it wasn't as clear as when I watched it on my ipod - the picture seemed stretched, like it was "digitalized" (if that is a word or correct term)
    thanks

2. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

jays2k,
    Try HERE.

3. jays2k

jays2k Member

thanks.. i did come across that thread. do you know if the quality will hold on the conversion? when i used toast to burn my mp4 onto dvd to play on my home tv, it was definitely steps down from the original.
    thx

4. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

jays2k,
    There is definitely a considerable difference in picture quality. I am no expert in this field; but based from past experiences, the output's picture quality has consistently always been downgraded...I assume this is a downloaded mp4? Otherwise why convert to dvd...?

5. skints

skints Member

I used Xilisoft Video Converter 3.1.43 to convert an .mp4 file to DivX Movie (*.avi).
    I can play the converted [DVDRip x 264]file in the small Xilisoft Preview pane but I cannot open it with Windows Media Player or Nero 7 Showtime.
    Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

6. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Download and install FFDShow here .

7. donewell

donewell Regular member

Do you use the new beta version or the last stable ver 610. I do not like installing beta versions of any kind!! If you use the beta version are you having any issuses with it

8. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Install the latest stable version...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  9. donewell

donewell Regular member

Thanks, will give it a try. Just seen in the downloads how old 610 was it worried me. will give it a try on your say so. Thanks again

10. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

donewell,
    Are you still having video playback problems? I thought I recognize the name from another thread...

11. donewell

donewell Regular member

Yes i've tried just about everything. i think i ended up with to much and every thing started to fight one another. I got them to play but the colors where awful. so now i uninstalled evrything and use ccleaner and defraged. i am about to start over loading one at a time and if that one doesn't work , i will remove it and try a different one. not put them all in together.. Wish me luck and Thanks for your help and concern. I will let you know how i make out!!

12. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Indeed, having multiple codecs bundles can pose variances when playing video files. Codecs are installed abyss Windows. Each individual codec is assigned a value. This value is then used to prioritize which codec to use to decode a certain video file for playback. If you're having problems, the best way is to start off on a clean slate.

13. donewell

donewell Regular member

Ok this is where i stand now. I downloaded quicktime alternative, and that lets me play mov.'s in windows media 11. then i downloaded ffdshow and that let me play mpeg2's in media player but the colors are real bad, The screen divided into 3 (1 bar red 1 bar green and 1 bar gray) I unistalled ffdshow . i can play mpegs in nero showtime , but i wanted to be able to play everything in media player. so i just live with what i got!! Thanks

14. skints

skints Member

pryme H
    Was that 11Jan @0708 message intended for me?
    I assumed so and installed ffdshow rev 1763.
    I can't find the actual .exe file - just (what is to me) complicated set ups 'Audio decoder configuration', VFW configuration' and 'Video decoder'.

15. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

skints,
    Don't change anything. Just click next/yes until it's fully installed.

16. skints

skints Member

Pryme H
    I uninstalled ffdshow rev 1763 - restarted my machine and then downloaded and installed ffdshow [rev 610][2006-12-01].
    I made no changes - just hit 'Yes' all through the installation but unfortunately it still didn't install properly.
    The only .exe file in C:program Files:ffdshow is one to uninstall the program.
    The ffdshow folder in the Start Menu just contains Audio decoder and VFW configurations plus the Video convereter and uninstall.

17. skints

skints Member

My apologies Pryme H.
    I had expected to have to create a conversion a la Xilisoft. I opened Nero 7 and found that ffdshow is working away making the conversions without any prompting or effort on my part.
    Many thanks for all your patient help and assistance.

18. donewell

donewell Regular member

Not to butt in but my nero vision converts them to dvd and showtime plays avi's with out anything, no ffdshow just nero. could you explain for me what you mean, did it not play them before???

19. skints

skints Member

Donewell
    I could open but not view the two mp4 files with either Windows Media Player or Nero Showtime - just a blank black screen
    Using Nero Vision 4.7.0.16 I could add the .mp4 files but it would always lock up after less than 30 seconds of the burn process. I reinstalled Nero but gotthe same result.
    I used Xilisoft to convert them to .avi format - but again I couldn't view the files (except in the small preview screen of Xilisoft.

20. donewell

donewell Regular member

I am sorry but , i have no idea what could be wrong , because i can play avi and mpeg in nero vision. have you tried to convert these mp4 files right off the get go with nerovision, before any other program