1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

convert mpg to vcd or dvd

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by gyro1000, Jun 22, 2004.

1. gyro1000

gyro1000 Member

I have some .mpg video files that I would like to convert to either VCD or DVD. Can I do this with Nero, or do I need another software program to accomplish this???

2. Vegetto

Vegetto Member

mpg is VCD. You use Nero to burn the vcd. When the wizard starts up choose cd then next then choose complile a cd then choose other cd formats then choose
    Video Cd then click on finish then drag and drop your mpgs into the video1 thing. Then after that you just burn it.If you want to convert your mpg to DVD use
    TMPGEnc you can find it at here http://www.tmpgenc.net.

3. gyro1000

gyro1000 Member

Thanks man! As you can see under my username that I am a "newbie".

4. Vegetto

Vegetto Member

Yah I can see that and it says the samething for me.One would think they should at least promote my rank up a little higher but I dont know how the system works though.

5. zerox1

zerox1 Member

converting mpeg to dvd with the program you mentioned.
    I am having A little prob with it.

it don't work on my dvd player.

6. bevewillo

bevewillo Member

is it possible for me to use Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 to create the mpg movie to a vcd.

7. eurochica

eurochica Member

i'm having problems with nero also.. i made the vcd, but it wont play on my dvd player.. the dvd player does play vcd's, but for some reason, nothing shows up on the screen.

8. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

It might say it plays vcd's but does it support cd-r's if not then they wont play.

9. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

to explain in a little more detail to the above post, where the dvd says it will play vcd's (original disks only, very popular format in Asia & the like) a vcd created on the pc will be a copy (burned to a cd-r) which will play on dvd players only that support cd-r which pretty much all of the newer players do these days.
    Happy shopping ;)

10. eurochica

eurochica Member

thanks, i finally figured it out. i was using nero express to make the vcd and thats why it didnt work. when i used the other version of nero, it worked great.

11. Marheed

Marheed Member

I NEED HELP!!!! I'm trying to convert an avi movie to vcd and burn it. I have nero 6.0. I tried having nero do it all, but it didnt work. Should i convert it with another program first, then burn it with nero? it took about 6 hours for nero to do half of it. Is there a faster way? any suggestions would be great... thanx

12. nist

nist Member

Use Tmpgenc to convert the AVI file to VCD compliant format (mpeg-1). Then use VCDeasy to create a VCD image (with menus if you want to), which you then burn with NERO to a CD. In case the mpeg is to large to fit into one cd, split it in 2 files using Tmpgenc and then create to disks, one for VCD CD1 and one for CD2. You could skip the VCDeasy part and author the VCD with Nero, just use the create VCD function and then insert the converted mpeg file. /N

13. Marheed

Marheed Member

I thought Nero can convert the avi file and burn it at the same time - ?? can it? Why is it best to use tmpgenc? How doou know if it is mpeg-1 or mpeg-2 ? is there a different file extention? Is CUCUsoft a good conversion program? i did a conversion using that and it took 18hours to convert an avi to mpeg.. is there a faster way to do this???