1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

convert PAL to NTSC

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by fireboy24, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I just have to say this again. I have tried all you have been going through. You will eventually get it acceptable in my standards. But even then you are looking at a few hours to repeat what was done for acceptable.

The program I have already mentioned SVCD2DVD Ver 2 (RC9) Does everything your are trying to do in a click of a button. All you have to do in settings is check "Convert PAL to NTSC". Let the program do its thing and Viola you have a near perfect file ready for DVD. That is higher than acceptable. Not to mention it does it much faster, even in 2 pass. A 350meg XVID in Pal only takes me 1 hour in 2 pass to become VOB. The demo is full function but limited to 2 gig. I have found a way to make it work with your files and still be a demo. Put all the files you wish to have on your DVD into the Demos VTS. Hit the auto fit button. Now take all but one file out of the VTS. All your files will now be under 2 gig and you can render the entire movie. If only one file is in there and you hit Auto fit then it will not size down. just add another one to make the program compress it more. You will see what I am talking about.

http://www.svcd2dvd.com/ .Try it and see what you think. If you don't like it then tell me it sucks and remove it from your computer. Don't doubt it till you try it.

-Del

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

@ Mr_Del: SVCD2DVD is not a magical, fix-all program.
    If it works for you, great. Not everyone here want's to purchase it, when there are free tools that work better in some cases.
    Thankyou for your exuberance.

@ dll2hell:
    Open tmpgenc, cancel the wizard.
    Select File, mpeg tools.
    Choose the Simple Demux tab.
    Load your mpg, and hit RUN.
    Sit back and wait a few minutes.
    You now have a demuxed m2v and audio of some sort (probably mp2).

Encode the file to NTSC DVD (720x480, 4:3 aspect) in tmpgenc, but make sure you KEEP IT AT 25FPS!!!

Load THAT file into dgpulldown.
    Select 25 -> 29.97fps.
    Wait a few minutes.

You now have a fully compliant NTSC dgpulldown.m2v file.

Take the original mp2 (or ac3) audio that you got when demuxing the file.
    Author it with your newly created dgpulldown.m2v file.
    You DO NOT need to remux, and you do not want to remux, because that will screw up what dgpulldown just did.

3. dll2hell

dll2hell Member

@ rebootjim:
    thank you again for your help...it sounds like a great way to do what I want to do and i understand that tmpgenc gives good results....however, I am starting with VOB files and not with a mpg so can't begin with your instructions. I don't need to first create a mpg and then demux and then re-encode, do I?

@ Mr_Del:
    i have not tried this, but am open to suggestions..just have read and heard that using apps like tmpgenc and/or avisnth, dvd2avi, dgpulldown, etc. are the way to go....just time consuming, especially when you have not done it before since there are so many options to choose from, etc.

4. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

@rebootJim

I already know you don't like this program. You have made it clear to me in another post but guess what it used to suck. I tried V2 (RC8) before 9 was out. The result with that one was below acceptable. Playback was jerky. The programmer heard the cries of the users and added PAL to NTSC conversion and called it RC9 (only a month and a half ago). So I downloaded it just to see and the jerkiness was gone. I swear up and down and put all my money on the line that the final DVD looks as if the network put it out. Of course any imperfection in the original will still be there. Nothing can take those out unless you feel like spending a few days on a 45 minute clip.

If all your doing is downloading files and putting them onto disk then this is really all you need. You can do it free if you follow my above directions. If your after professional disks to sell then this could pass for that. There is a menu feature in it as well but won't do you much good in demo mode. So YES this program used to suck but people do improve on their product as this guy did. I tried your ways which come up OK. I spent days messing with settings. Hours and ours on just one file that would take 30 minutes to watch when finished. Aspect ratio never came out right for my 16:9. I had to keep going to the store to buy more aspirin.

your methods in 2 pass for acceptable results on a 45 minute complete files would take me almost 5 hours. The new improved SVCD2DVD with that same exact file that goes through all the same steps you mention even in 2 pass takes me 1 hour to complete. The result is near perfect. Aspect ratio is always correct even in 16:9. The only reason it does not get perfect is because of the imperfections in the original file that I refuse to spend days trying to remove.

Yes if you like the demo and want the full version then you will have to shell out a whopping $20 USD. But you can get the demo to render most files fully with my above instructions. TMPGEnc is not free, legally. Cost more even. Did i mention this program will also do NTSC to PAL. Haven't tried that once since I have no need.

-Del

5. Zeelot3k

Zeelot3k Member

Mr_Del:
    can this program take .vob files? i tried it and all i can put into it is avi files, should i do anything to the vob files to make this program accept them or is there no way? other than making an avi from the dvd cuz i have a full movie dvd in pal i just want to make into ntsc with acceptable results

6. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Yes it will work with .VOB. Just rename the file to have the extension .mpg. Then it will take it.

-Del

7. Zeelot3k

Zeelot3k Member

and does it keep menus or do i have to make a new one?

8. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

It is not, by design, a program that woks like DVD shrink or Decrypter. You will have to make you own new menus unless you have some program live DVD labs that may import the IFO information. By changing the PAL VOB to NTSC you will make the menus invalid no matter what program you use (That I know of). The menus themselves are also in PAL.

So with that said I guess you could used DVD shrink for movie only. It will still be in PAL at that point. Then run the VOB set created by shrink through the program I mentioned. That will then convert them into NTSC. You may have better results if you tell Shrink not to split the VOB to 1 gig files. Let it make you one huge VOB. Of course in this case the demo would not be able to be used to render the entire file. But let it do what it can just to give you an idea of what it does. You may only end up with 1/4 of the movie in demo mode. Of course the full version will render the entire file. If you don't like then tell me it sucks and take it off your system.

I mainly go from XVID or MPG files I d/l to DVD. Some are in PAL and I must turn them into NTSC. I don't think I have ever had a PAL DVD in hand. Oh yeah when you make your file. SVCD2DVD will put a MPG where the original file is and a VOB where you tell it to put it. That MPG must not be DVD compliant since DVD lab will not work with it. The VOB is fully compliant.

-Del

9. Zeelot3k

Zeelot3k Member

k np about menu, i dont really care much....last thing thought...i didnt quite understand how u said to make the demo work with a movie bigger than 2 gigs...the make fit button isnt clickable in my program...i think im doing something wrong, if u could help me a bit more i would very much appreciate it....my AIM is Zeelot3k, MSN is Zeelot3k@hotmail.com, and my ICQ # is 146468449 if u have any of those messengers and have 5 mins to spare to help a noob just msg me.

thx for all ur past posts too

10. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

sorry not in IM. Been a long time since I dealt with the demo. I do remember that button being click able. What you would do is put 2 or three files in the VTS. usually that puts it in th RED. Then you hit that make fit button. That would then size the files down so they fit. Remove 2 of the files and the left over one should be under 2 gig. When that one is done don't close the program remove the file you finish then drag one of the others into the VTS. It will also be under 2 gig.

If the programmer caught onto this and disabled the button in the demo then that is news to me. I would not doubt it though knowing how programmers are. Don't blame them though. but anyway if the button does not work anymore render what you can just to see the result. After all you are just trying out the software for right now.

A note on its menu maker. It is not a good one but OK. To make it work you have to create multiple VTS. This will create the buttons for the menu. In the different VTS place a video or two. Clicking the button on the menu will play whatever videos you put in that VTS. It is a very basic menu and for some reason the background you chose will not show on a stand alone. The buttons will show. I guess it is expected in a beta. I use DVD labs Pro for the menu Parts.

-Del

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  11. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

A vob is basically a 1 gig mpg, but the headers are wrong (for mpg), so renaming it doesn't usually work.
    If you want the whole movie from the vobs, you need to demux it, not just rename it.
    Demux in ReJig.
    Load the m2v into tmpgenc(or whatever encoder), continue as above.

@Mr_Del: I know the process can be long, and I give instructions for tmpgenc, because everyone insists on using this obsolete, tediously slow software. I do not.

12. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

@ rebootjim

I admit there are things that you can do in that program that SVCD2DVD will not do. Although it does Demux and Remux you cant make the program do just that. That has to happened during the conversions. I was just trying to give him a faster easier way of doing this. If it does not work for him then thats fine at least it was tried. I tested the rename to MPG before I told him to do it. Yes it does not always work but it seems to with this program. No hard feelings just passing on what I know works for me.

-Del

13. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

In a multi vob file (a full length dvd for example) renaming one vob will only give you a chunk of the movie. If you want the whole thing, it needs to be demuxed/joined, which is what tools like ReJig are good at.
    Just another thing to consider. :)

14. Zeelot3k

Zeelot3k Member

hey Mr_Del:
    i just finished doing a divx movie in pal format.....
    the resolution changed and everything...quality looked good (considering its a 10+ year old source....but the movie is still in PAL format....know what i did wrong? i have the checkbox that says convert pal to ntsc checked and the pulldown option is checked but the movie came out PAL after an hour or so of encoding.

15. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Zlot3K?

I don't doubt you but how are you checking to see if it is in PAL still? What program is telling you this? I have sent your question on to the programmer. When I get a reply I will post back here. Just to be sure you are looking at the created VOB from the program. Being a demo There should be no more than 2 VOB files one probably 1 gig and the other around 500Meg. IF you checked the convert to NTSC and the pulldown box then put a PAL file through it should have come out NTSC.

I have yet to run into this problem. We will see what the programmer says.

-Del

I just wanted to add that I use this on XVID PAL files at least 12 times a week. They all come out in NTSC. I do know this program will not work with such AVI unless you have their CODECs installed. Do you have the most recent one for Divx? My Xvid CODEC will play both formats.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  16. Zeelot3k

Zeelot3k Member

yea i have all my codecs installed perfectly, first i tried playing it on my tv dvd player and it acts the same way as if id put a pal dvd in...then i named one of the vobs to mpg and fed it back to the program and on the right hand side it gives u the information for the file and it says PAL format....i also noticed the sound was a bit off sync so im going to reencode it tonight with no programs running to make sure nothing disturbs it but im sure it should have stuff come out ntsc even if it did a bad job.

edit: next time il also feed it into nero express and c if it tells me its PAL also...but if it didnt play on my dvd player (with dvd-rs i know worked on it before) then theres really no point cuz the whole reason im doing this is to watch my old movies on my tv

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  17. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

OK Zeelot3k I got a reply back from the programmer. He wants to see your log file. He was also asking if this was a true Divx file. I am sure it was. The very last post you just made here will find its way to his forum. The log file can be found in c:\(wherever it is but usually program files)\Badgersoft\svcd2dvd demo\logs. You will find a TXT in there. copy and paste the contents of that into a private message to me. I will then make it a txt file on my end and e-mail it to the programmer.

This should be able to be fixed.
    -Del

18. Zeelot3k

Zeelot3k Member

ok sent....i did it again tonight and got the same result....let me know, il be on all day

19. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I got your file in my messages and sent it to the programmer. Will post when I hear something. He is quick to reply so it should not take long.

-Del

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  20. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Ok I got his reply and here it is:

I think your mate discovered a bug in that build of the demo. The bug is as follows: "If you have 'merge titles' checked and 'pal2ntsc' checked and you have only ONE asset then pal to ntsc doesn't complete"

It has been fixed in the latest buld but not in the demo yet. Please tell your mate to uncheck the "merge Titles" and try again - it should work fine thereafter.

---End reply---

Hope this helps
    -Del