1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

convert PAL to NTSC

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by fireboy24, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Zeelot3k

Zeelot3k Member

alright thx il give it a try right now

2. Zeelot3k

Zeelot3k Member

alright it worked, cant say much about the quality since the movies i have right now r from 70s and 80s and r already bad TV rips but it did do the job quickly which is all i want for these old movies.
    il try a PAL dvd i have soon to c if the quality is acceptable.
    thx again for help

3. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

NP. Now just to clarify I am not saying Rebootjims methods are crap. I am sure they work well once you figure out all the settings. I was just trying to show you something else that may be easier. Also there is more that can be done through Rebootjims instructions. But for simply converting the flick without any type of editing this is the program I would and do use.

Ejoy
    -Del

4. darkesha

darkesha Member

Somewhere on this thread I found info (think it was minion), that ulead video studio can do nice conversion. I tried with 7.9 version, and that one didnt want to accept ac3 sound, since there was a ac3 plug in that you are spoussed to purchase seperatelly. Then I heard that ulead video studio 9.0 has that plug in already integrated. I downloaded it, and found out that the same file on the older computer works perfectly, and on my amad 64 3200+ machine doesnt want to start anything. Anyways when i got everything in the order and converted some titlles, i found results to be satisfying in some cases, and in some cases the sound would not be synchronized with the picture. Trying that another time would do any change. Some files wouldnt even have sound until certain minute and then everything would be super normally. Original dvd source would have sound normally, but when I rename .vob o .mpeg i wouldnt be able to hear that sound.
    ANd finally it's worth of trying and i believe with some time spend this thing can give great result.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

I don"t think I said "Ulead Video Studio" because not a Very High End program and I know that it will Not accept Files with AC3 audio...

I think I said that "Ulead Media Studio 7" (Totally different Program and Much better) Can convert Pal/NTSC useing VOB files with AC3 audio....

Cheers

6. dll2hell

dll2hell Member

Hi All... first off, I'd like to say thanks to all that responded to my posts helping me in the task of converting a PAL movie to NTSC format and thanks esp. to minion and rebootjim for their posts. I tried the proggie SVCD2DVD and that did not work for me and the other methods showed promise and I knew that if i wanted a DVD quality conversion that I should probably use TMPGEnc to do the encoding and the proggie DGpulldown to do framerate conversion.

Well, after several attempts to figure out all the settings and which steps to follow, I have successfully converted my first PAL movie to NTSC with superb quality primarily following rebootjims steps. The only thing really that I added here is the script file that I used and that to make sure you choose the PAL DVD template for the encoding in TMPGEnc.

Here are my steps for those still interested in creating a perfect DVD from a PAL movie:

1. Use DVD2AVI to demux the audio and to create a d2v index of the video stream (first select only the movie VOB files to import into DVD2AVI).
    2. Create a AVS script to be used by TMPGEnc (the script I used follows):
    LoadPlugin("c:\windows\system32\MPEG2DEC.dll")
    MPEG2Source("e:\PAL\PALvideo.d2v")
    LanczosResize(720,480)
    ConvertToRGB24(interlaced=false)
    3. Load the AVS script into TMPGEnc and select the PAL DVD and the unlock templates making sure that you change the size under MPEG settings to 720x480 and making sure that the framrate is set to 25fps and you choose CQ for the Rate Control Mode and High Quality for the Motion Search Precision. (The command line will read: MPEG-2 720x480 25fps CQ 65).
    4. Now run DGPulldown to do the actual framerate conversion of the m2v file you created from step 3 selecting 25 -> 29.97
    5. Now just use a DVD authoring proggie to multiplex the audio and video streams and to create the DVD compliant VOB's (I used DVD-lab to do this for me).
    6. Burn the resulting files to DVD and now you will have a perfect NTSC movie which you can play in your stand-alone DVD or portable DVD player.

Note that U will not have menu's, but I believe that you can add these with your authoring proggie?

I hope that this helps. Please note that I am a complete novice at this, but this worked for me and worked great! It will take 2-3 hours to do all this but is well worth it. Thanks again to those that are interested in helping others.

7. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

The only variations to your method I use, are:
    PVAStrumento to demux mpegs (captures), virtualdub for avi's.
    Mainconcept to encode (much faster than tmpgenc).

Try a CQ 90 at the same bitrate. Takes a bit longer, but generally better quality in the end.

DVDLab will nicely do menus. If you don't want any, just use ReJig to author, it's faster.

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you were useing AVISynth then all you needed to add to your Script to Convert the Pal to NTSC is this:

AssumeFPS(23.976,True)

This would have slowed the 25fps down to 23.976fps and then you would have just had to encode it with Tmpgenc useing 3:2 Pulldown to make it 29.976fps...

You would have also added a Line to add the audio to the script...

This is the way I convert Pal to NTSC and it works Perfectly....

Also why are you adding the "ConvertToRGB24()" line to your Script??

Because if you are encodeing to Mpeg-2 the colorspace used in Mpeg-2 is YV12 so you converting to RGB24 is a step that will slightly degrade the quality because of the Colorspace Conversion....

This Script would have probably been all you needed:

LoadPlugin("c:\windows\system32\MPEG2DEC.dll")
    LoadPlugin("c:\windows\system32\AC3Source.dll")# Decodes AC3 audio
    MPEG2Source("e:\PAL\PALvideo.d2v")
    AC3Source("e:\PAL\PALAudio.ac3")
    AssumeFPS(23.976,True)
    LanczosResize(720,480)

Then encode to mpeg-2 at 23.976fps with 3:2 Pulldown and you will have a NTSC Mpeg-2 file with Perfectly in Sync audio....

Cheers

9. dll2hell

dll2hell Member

Thanks again RebootJim and Minion for your suggestions...
    Minion, I don't know why I inserted the ConvertToRGB24(interlaced=Flase) in my script :), this suggestion was provided on another site where it suggested that if you were using CCE to encode then use ConvertToYUV2(interlaced=false) and TMPGEnc to use the RBG24, but you are right, it appears this is not needed at all, so I will try your script instead.

RebootJim...I will try using CQ 90 as well on the next run through.

Thanks again!

10. ziggy80

ziggy80 Member

I am trying to convert with ProCoder 2.0 and I use VOB as a source file and output to separate files for Video and Audio. My output is a m2v file and m2a file. I try to play the m2a file in my winamp, and it is just silance. If I try to reauthor these two together to create a VOB file, the movie is also without sound. Is this because there might be dolby sound? I tried both Mpeg1 Layer Sound, and PCM(Wave) file. Am I suppose to demux the files first with some other program? Thanx.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  11. Minion

Minion Senior member

You aren"t getting any audio because Procoder doesn"t accept the AC3 audio format used in VOB files...

If you Simply Demultiplex the VOB file into seperate audio and Video files you can use the Audio in your DVD project....

You can use the Demultiplex in Tmpgenc"s "Mpeg Tools" to Demux the Vob into seperate audio and Video files....

Cheers

12. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  13. Bird7

Bird7 Regular member

Toshe

14. digita42

digita42 Member

I have a DVD that has both NTSC and PAL on either side of the disc. However the NTSC side has been damaged beyond repair. I need a program or method to convert the PAL side to NTSC. The disc does not seem to have and copy protection at all (even if it did I could use DVD Decrypter to remove it). I need a program that can make an exact copy of the PAL side (menus and PUOs included) to NTSC without having to extract the VOBs to other video formats or stuff like that. Does anyone know of a program that can do this.

Also, I recall someone mentioning Nero ReEncode (I think that was here). If some knows how to do it using that great.

15. Street

Street Member

Well,
    I've gotten advice from Minion before and I know from experience that he's totally the Professor of Video Editing at this level. You really want to save some of his answers because they'll make more and more sense as you start to put them to the test.

I actually find most everything I pull off the internet can be shoved onto an extended DVD format for my purposes. For that Burn-it, Watch-it 'n Toss-it encoding I just pull all the PAL Vob's into something like WinAVI** and encode them to a single NTSC DVD. If I can't live without chapter 'n verse I'll haul out TMPGEN DVD Author and create menus, chapters 'n stuff--using the converted Vobs.

**I'm finding that WinAVI 6+ is very fast and pretty comparable, quality-wise, to Mainconcept or TMPGENc. It's NOT the high-end solution Minion discusses above.

For folks who are really trying to get "production quality" results there really aren't any SW Wizards that are going to do it all for you--no shortcuts--you have to completely understand all the behind-the-curtain Alchemy that even Apps like Procorder attempt to dumb down for "the masses".

I always envision Minion as giving his "Final Answer" and deciding he's done with the thread-- but he's unable to see everyone treading water around the Titanic without attempting further rescue :) Eventually we manage to pull most of the ugly details for numerous software solutions out of him.

Note:
    I'm just now looking at Womble's MPGEG Video Wizard for my Quick 'n Dirty PAL<-->NTSC Conversions. Womble has always been "interesting" video authoring/editing SW.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  16. Mincha

Mincha Member

Ok...time to open up quite possibly another can of worms. Is there a clearcut method of converting PAL to NTSC and keeping a DTS track? Are any conversion softwares capable of this?

17. Dtronx

Dtronx Member

Minion,
    Ok i've been reading alot of especially what you have been posting on here about the whole PAL to NTSC vice versa. This is the question I have for you. I have a DVD-5 PAL movie. If I was reading what you posed correctly can I just use DVDLab to create it to NTSC or do I have to go through the whole re-encoding thing again.

18. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes, You do have to Re-encode it to Convert it from Pal to NTSC....

There is a Very Simple Method useing Canopus Procoder 2.0 to Convert from Pal to NTSC....It will accept the Pal VOB files from the Pal Movie and encodeing it to NTSC Vob files in a Video_TS Folder which you simply have to Burn to DVD...There are no Menu"s or Chapters useing this Method But it is easy.....Or you can Simply output the pal VOB files as a NTSC Mpeg-2 file and then author the NTSC Mpeg-2 file to DVD with Menu"s and Chapters if you wanted....

Cheers

19. Dtronx

Dtronx Member

Minion,
    Thanks for the help. I want to keep the menu and everything the was it is on the disc now. Is there a specific way in which I can do that with DVDlab.

20. Minion

Minion Senior member

In a Round about way you can if you actually Rip the Menu"s seperately and Import the menu"s into DVDLab and add your Own Buttons and Links to the Menu"s but it is a Bit complicated to do especially if you have never done it before and you would Probably have to convert the original menu"s to still menu"s....

I don"t really know of any DVD Backup Programs that have a Feature to Convert Pal to NTSC and Keep all the Menu"s but there might be I don"t know......