1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

convert PAL to NTSC

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by fireboy24, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Dtronx

Dtronx Member

Tanks Minion all the menu's are stills anyway so that's a good thing I guess huh. COuld you explain how i would go about ripping the menu's. I think with a little reading I can figure out how to place them and everything hopefully.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well in a Retail DVD there are a Lot of Different VOB files and some of these Files contain the main movie and some Contain the Special features and some contain the menu"s so basicly you have to ripp all of the VOB files that aren"t part of the main movie off of the DVD and go through them untill you Find the Vob file(s) that has the Menu"s in it....

You have to be carefull because sometimes they are easy to Miss because sometimes each menu will only take up a single frame so in the matter of One second of video you could miss all of the Menu"s so it is Good to View the VOB files with something you can view on a frame by frame basis, I usually just use DVD2AVI because i just happen to have it and it works...

After I have found the VOB file that has the menu"s in it I load that VOB file into Tmpgenc and go to the Source range and find the First menu and click the "Mark Start Frame" button and then click the "Mark End Frame Button" and then click OK and go to "File" to "Output to" to "Jpeg,Bmp,Tiff,ect Image" and give the File a name and save it and it will save the Menu as a Jpg Image and then I go back into the Source Range setting again and find the Next menu and do the same thing again.....

After I have all of the menu"s as JPG Images i Load them into DVDLab and add Buttons to the menu"s and Link them to the Correct Chapters and to the Other menu"s ect basicly rebuilding the structure of the DVD but since i usually don"t keep all of the Features of the original DVD Like the Subtitles and Special features and different audio tracks i leave those Links on the main menu out, I sometimes take the Jpg images into PSP and erace the Selection on the menu that i"m not going to use so they don"t show up when i am watching the DVD ......

The DVD Doesn"t end up Looking exactly like the Original but it still looks Close if you do it Right and will have simular Menu functionality....

Cheers

3. Dtronx

Dtronx Member

Minion,
    I tried what you told me to do and when I try to encode with cce it is telling me that "Couldn't find appopriate codec for YV12". I am using the following .avs script.

LoadPlugin("C:\Plugins\dgdecode.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Plugins\dgbob.dll")
    mpeg2source("D:\Test\test.d2v")
    DGBob(order=1,mode=0)
    Sharpen(0.75)
    LanczosResize(720,480)
    AssumeFPS(23.976)

Could you also please tell me what setting I need to have set up for CCE. I am using version 2.70.02.00. Thanks for the help. You always give good advise.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well add this Line to the Bottom of your Script:

ConvertToYUY2()

and if you are useing version 2.70 of CCE SP make sure you have gone into Miscilanious Options and enable the "Try Encodeing in YUY2 format" option...

[​IMG]

Cheers

5. Dtronx

Dtronx Member

MInion,
    Thanks alot that did the trick. One final question so I can get this movie finally encoded. What are the setting I need to have set up in CCE to encode the movie (DVD multiangle, close all GOP's....etc). Thanks again for all your help again.

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Here, try these settings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Accept you should set your own bitrate settings Based on the Length of your Movie so it comes out the Correct size so it fits on a DVD and also Remember to set the Frame rate to 23.976fps and then to enable 2:3 or 3:2 Pulldown...

Cheers

7. Dtronx

Dtronx Member

Minion,
    Ok encoded it and everything the one quick question I had for you in my description setting it is saying Natural 3? Can you tell me what that means. And also when I used DGMPGDEC to make my .d2v file under Video -> Field Operation I left it checked off for honor pulldown flags or should I have checked off ignore pulldown flags. I don't know what the difference is in the 2 since when they changed it from DVD2AVI.

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

I"m sorry but I do not use DGMPGDEC (I still use DVD2AVI) but if your DVD is a Pal DVD then there would not be any Pulldown flags to ignore (You are Converting pal to NTSC aren"t you) as 3:2 and 2:3 Pulldown is NTSC Thing....

Also if the DVD is Pal you wouldn"t need to add a Deinterlace Filter in your AVISynth Script as Most all Pal DVD"s are Progressive...

I also don"t know what you are Talking about when you say "Natural 3" but if you are Talking about the "Quality" settings in CCE then just set them the way i have them set....

Cheers

9. DruidCtba

DruidCtba Member

Hi Minion!

I'm a newer in this forum.

Minion, it's possible you put here one guide (step by step) using one GUI for Avisynth 2.5 (I have AviScript 2.9) with CCE SP 2.5 (My machine is Pentium II and haven't SSE instruction for above versions of CCE).

I'm lost here and I get it converter one PAL DVD that I received from a Germain Friend.

In time, I converted one MPEG PAL to MPEG NTSC using:

1. TMPGEnc 2.5 e DoPulldown, but one problem: reencoder audio, the mp2 192 kbps compress, in reencoder, lossy quality.
    2. Canopus Procoder 2
    3. DGPulldown 1.0.3 (very pretty program, fast to reencoder), see: http://neuron2.net/dgpulldown/dgpulldown.html (Please talk to me for this program!)
    4.MainConcept.

TMPGEnc 2.5 and Canpous is very slowly to reencoder.
    MainConcept is half time reencoder to TMPGEnc 2.5 and Canopus.
    But DGPulldown is very quickly.

The image from videos reencoder is good.

Fine thanks for your attention.

Druid®

P.S. Sorry my poor english, I'm living in Brasil :eek:)!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  10. Minion

Minion Senior member

DGPulldown is Not an encoder all it does is Change the Header in your Mpeg-2 file so there is absolutly no encodeing going on....

Well I am working on a Guide on Converting Pal to NTSC useing AVISynth and CCE SP 2.70 but not with cce sp 2.50....

I am surprised that you can even Get CCE 2.5 to Run on your P-2, You should maybe Upgrade your PC to a Much faster One so you can encode in a Reasonable ammount of Time as on a P-2 it must Take days to encode a Movie...You could Upgrade your P-2 to about 3.0ghz for only about $100 if you do the work yourself and it is not very Hard to do.....

If you want some Links to were you can Buy the Parts to upgrade your PC for Really Cheap then let me know....

Cheers

11. Street

Street Member

Well Minion I guess you've just answered a question I was going to ask. I just "acquired" a completely "enabled" version of CCE 2.7. Some folks have advised using an earlier version but I'm going to assume 2.7 is the way to go.

BTW:
    I tried using Canopus Procorder 2 (for the PAL<-->>NTSC conversion) as you suggested above. It took awhile but gave some pretty nice results--maybe not as nice as you might get with a more complex process--but still pretty damn nice for what is essentially a one or two button push!

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

HELLO...Minion..Quick Question,is Mainconcept H264 encoding [Mpeg4]..is it basically [Divx,AVI,Xvid]& if so will it play in a stand alone Divx DVD player

13. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes, The Mainconcept H264 Encoder is a Mpeg-4 encoder but I do not Know for sure if a divx enabled DVD Player will Play these files But I think it should....I Guess One way to Find out is To Just Try it?

Cheers

14. Zeelot3k

Zeelot3k Member

very unlickely, h264 is still too new and unstable to be used imo

15. Street

Street Member

Actually Mainconcept has just released v2 or their H.264 Encoder. I just got an email from them this week and I doubt many folks have actually gotten their hands on it yet!

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

The H.264 Encoder..does an excellent job on Mpeg's.It's just to bad it does not go the added step to make a DVD.You still need a prog,like TMPG DVD to make the final transition.With all that is available on todays market,it really is not worth the asking price..if you search wisely you might find a torrent..some place like demonoid.com
    The main reason i like it is that some [Divx,AVI'S,Xvid's]are made so small that when converted they are only about a 1/4 to a 1/3 of your TV screen.With H.264 U can stretch them to a decent size with close to no quality loss,depending on the quality of what u have to work with.Naturally if u start with a bad file all u can really do is stretch it & end up with larger blemishes..I stretched Batman Begins & it was a decent vid to watch

17. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well the H.264 Encoder isn"t at all what you need to use to Make a DVD because it Isn"t the Correct Format for DVD so you would need a Lot More than Tmpgenc DVD Author to put the Files on to DVD....

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello Minion..H.264 Encoder..is just the name of the program...if u look at it closely it alows u different formats other then H.264..on the output format change toMPEG type[ DVD] & Stream type change to[Program{Video+Audio}..] also pal or ntsc,which ever u fancy.Also I prefer LPCM in the Audio mode which seems to enhance the volume some-what .WHICH when converted,is most definetly TMPG DVD COMPATABLE..I do it all the time..as I've said in earlier posts..i like it due to the fact u can stretch your Video back to full screen

19. Street

Street Member

Yup the new H.264 Encoder is really just the Mainconcept 1.4.2 encoder with H.264 as an addition supported format. The new v2 of MC H.264 only addresses a rewrite of the H.264 format itself--not all the other supported formats which are the same as in V1 of the H.264 encoder and the same as in v1.4.2. Minion is very familiar with the Mainconcept encoder so I'm actually not sure what his last point was.

You can use Mainconcept to convert just about any media format to a DVD or Extended DVD compliant mpeg and then use TMPGENC DVD Author to add menus and chapters--if you want. That will give a good quality PAL<-->NTSC conversion--equal IHMO to the quality you achieve using other methods like Virtualdub & Besweet, or Canopus, or many other tools.

You CAN get a higher quality PAL<-->NTSC with CCE IF you want to spend the extra time figuring out how and more time on the the conversion itself.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  20. Minion

Minion Senior member

Sorry, I didn"t know the Mpeg-4 encoder also encoded to Mpeg-2 format, I sort of Figured if they have a Mpeg encoder and a Mpeg-4 encode why add Mpeg-2 to the Mpeg-4 encoder but not add Mpeg-4 to the Mpeg-2 encoder....

Cheers