1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

convert ts file to dvd+ps3

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by deadone36, Apr 14, 2009.

1. deadone36

deadone36 Member

hi all, been reading topic for over 2 hours regarding this, im to be honest im totally lost.

ok here goes....
    i have 1 ts file. 3.73 gig at 1080i and i want to be able to convert this to a dvd5 disc and also be able to add the same file to my ps3 so i can watch it in hd.

please help a total newb.

i can convert using convertxtodvd but does this remove the hd side of it and make it a std dvd.

all your help is appreciated as alwasy.

thanx
    mick

2. dalice

dalice Member

Hi there,

I have recently been trying to solve almost the same issue, although slightly different: I was trying to convert a 1080i .ts file to a dvd5 disc that could be played in a regular DVD-video player, meaning I need to convert to 480p (not quite HD) but keep the digital sound track (ac3 dolby digital 5.1 surround). Since you have a PS3, you can convert the 1080i .ts to AVCHD or MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format, which is readable by your PS3.

I won't bother explaining how to convert to DVD-video (480p) with AC3 5.1 sound, since you are looking to convert to MPEG-4 H.264 (which always means AC3 dolby digital audio).

Step 1: use mpeg streamclip (free!) for converting mpeg-2 ts to mpeg-4 H.264, download from squared5.com: if your .ts file has 5.1 channels and you have trouble keeping it, you will need to demux to .m2v and .ac3 first, then convert the .m2v file to mpeg-4 h.264

Step 2: you will now either have 1 audio file and 1 video file (.ac3 audio and mpeg-4 h.264 video) or 1 mpeg-4 h.264 file containing both audio and video. You can now use your favourite DVD authoring / burning software to create the disc: I am not sure what format the PS3 will read, as I think it also reads files off of mass storage device, maybe you can get away with creating a data disc (no additional software needed). If not, you may have to spend some money. I was able to use Pixela that came with my Canon Vixia HF-10 Video Camera, but you can buy Roxio Toast, Nero, etc., as an alternative. You may even be able to find freeware as well. Alternatively, you can downconvert to 480p and burn the DVD-video for free using DVD-flick (dvdflick.net).

3. deadone36

deadone36 Member

thanx buddy, i did use a prog called hdtvdvd and it worked perfect so i can watch it on my external dvd players, i have also saved the original HD file to external HDD for future playing around.
    but ill be sure to try out your methods as well.

4. dalice

dalice Member

I used Roxio to burn my DVD's, but I just found out on another forum that you can use ImgBurn (download for free) to burn Blu-Ray or DVD discs with blu-ray format (that you can read on your PS3). Apparently you HAVE to burn as a data disc with UDF 2.50 format. Nothing else will work for you to be able to play the disc. You can set UDF 2.50 easily in ImgBurn. Of course you still have to convert the mpeg-2 .ts to mpeg-4 H.264 first (using mpeg-streamclip or another program). Not sure if you want to keep the video and audio separate or together before burning in ImgBurn, but you can try both ways (mpeg-streamclip can demux first to .ac3 audio and mpeg4-H.264-video, then convert video, then burn video and .ac3 audio with ImgBurn)

5. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

since its a ts file i would use tsmuxer which is free
    and load it and choose the avchd output file and burn with imgburn it should play in ps3

6. beefjerky

beefjerky Member

If I'm correct doesn't the PS3 already play .ts files by default? So can't you just burn it as a data disc and watch it?

7. lili29199

lili29199 Guest

spam edited bt ddp

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2009