1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert VOB to AVI or MP4

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by EFFEDUP, Aug 31, 2009.

1. EFFEDUP

EFFEDUP Member

I have searched for this all over.
    I am looking for a program to convert VOB (MUSIC VIDEOS) to a format readable by windows media player. I want to keep the quality best I can size of file isn't an issue.
    Also is there a program that will handle VOB's like a video player, I would like to keep the original files and play them as is. I am currently using VLC and Nero.
    I have a paid version of nero but cant figure out how to use it as a media player, but nero seems to play the videos one at a time with the best quality. The VLC program shows horizontal motion lines in some videos that are very distracting.
    I apologize if this is in the wrong area.

2. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

3. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

Right-click on the image and pick 'Video -> Deinterlace ->' and select one of the de-interlacers. The best one depends on your display and the surce footage.
    PS...Try AVIDeMux for your conversions.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  4. EFFEDUP

EFFEDUP Member

Ok I figured out how to get Nero to play multiple videos, and the banding issue is still a problem but not as bad as the VLC. I can not find any option for deinterlace on Nero playback. Is the deinterlace when you convert a file or can you use it when playing back a file.
    I may keep the VOB's for playback instead of converting them...anyway to deinterlace the VOB in playback mode?

5. EFFEDUP

EFFEDUP Member

Forgot to mention that I was also using Cyber power DVD but it was skipping thru some videos halfway thru.

6. Decodhero

Decodhero Member

As far as the conversion is concerned, are you trying to convert a DVD or a single vob file?

7. EFFEDUP

EFFEDUP Member

They are single VOB's anywhere from 150 - 300 meg.
    Since space isn't an issue, I would either like to keep the files as is and figure out a decent way to playback...Nero is limited as a player as far as play-list's and such
    OR
    Convert, without loss of quality, to something my Windows Media Player will handle.

What I want to accomplish here is, that I will Que up my Videos about 700 at parties and try to have it set up so individuals can bring up the songs or playlist and change the lineup, sort of how you would in itunes in party shuffle.

This has been great at parties in the past using Media Player, but now I have added a few hundred VOB's that wont play.
    So I need either a player that can handle the files or a lossless way to convert the VOB's to a windows media player format.
    Currently My videos are AVI VOB and mp4

8. Decodhero

Decodhero Member

Besides VLC which has been recommeded by somebody else above, I think the latest version of KMPlayer would be OK. Or there are lots of MPEG Players can be found on Google search. Generally, I do not like VLC because it is not stable enough and sometimes you can not drag it to go forward or backward correctly.

If you want to convert it and avoid the losing of quality, you'd better set larger value for resolution and video bit rate. It is quite important. No matter what conversion tool you are using, these two settings are very, very important for the output quality.

I have used many such conversion tools. But I have to say that none is perfect no matter it is freeware or shareware.

So unless you really like or it is necessary for you, I do not want to recommend a specific conversion program. I think you'd better Google it yourself.

If you have found certain apps, you put forward it to me and maybe I can help you judge it or share some tricks on them.

9. EFFEDUP

EFFEDUP Member

Thanks
    That KM Player is really nice, exactly what I wanted but I did hit a snag, some of the VOB's have no sound.
    I have looked into all the settings and can't figure it out.

10. Decodhero

Decodhero Member

Well, you need get to know the properties of the VOB file, the instructure of its video and audio. Most of encoding tools offer such functions. But as I have mentioned previously, none of them is perfect. But as far as the reading-properties function is concerned, you can get more accurate informaiton from Tutusoftware. After you load your VOB into the Video Converter of Tutu, right-click it and then select Properties from the following menu. Generally, VOB can be shown as the following items.
    File Name:
    File Path:C:\Temp\
    File Size:48736KB
    Duration: 00:01:36.5
    BitRate: 4135 kb/s
    Video:
    Codec : mpeg2video
    BitRate: 104857 kb/s
    Size : 720x480 [PAR 1:1 DAR 3:2]
    Frame Rate: 29.97 tb(r)
    Audio:
    Codec : liba52
    BitRate: 448 kb/s
    Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
    Channel: stereo
    VOBs shown like above should be played correctly. What about yours?

11. thankstom

thankstom Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2009
  12. Abyr

Abyr Guest

spam edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2009
  13. jingmia0d

jingmia0d Guest

Convert VOB to AVI or MP4 ,you can search the software at google,such as "iPod Transfer" can transfer videos and songs to MP4... there are many such kind of conversion software. Good luck!

14. zhaoqing

zhaoqing Guest

SPAM removed

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2009