1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

convert xvid and divx

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by MuRf, Nov 10, 2003.

1. MuRf

MuRf Member

Well am tryin to convert xvid and divx files so that i can createb dvd's/vcd's please help!!

2. dvdchum

dvdchum Guest

The most reliable, quickest and easist way I've found to convert XVID 2 DVD with perfect results everytime is to use the following apps

VirtualDub
    Mainconcepts MPEG Encoder
    NEODVD or NeroVision

1) Load the XVID file into virtual dub and save the Audio only to a WAV file.

2) Repeat the process and save the Direct Video stream only to a AVI file (still in XVID).

Fire up Mainconcepts MPEG Encoder and select the Video & Audio files you've just created and select the required output file type...leave it running and some hours later depending on your pc's cpu you will have a MPEG file.

From here on its personal choice on how you master the MPEG into a DVD VOBS etc. Some like Nero Vision Express others TMPEnc DVD Author.
    Myself I use NEODVD as its never let me down yet.

3. barmybike

barmybike Guest

Hello, I have been having the same probs. Where can I download mainconcepts MPEG Encoder and Neodvd from?

4. dvdchum

dvdchum Guest

SERIALS REMOVED BY MODERATOR
    - BYE -

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2003
  5. barmybike

barmybike Guest

I have downloaded all the above app's. After I have used mpeg encoder, and play the mpg file, I get sound in media player but no picture. What am I doing wrong? I am very new to all this.

6. dvdchum

dvdchum Guest

Do you have the XVID codec installed ??

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2003
  7. barmybike

barmybike Guest

Yes, I have the xvid codec installed. I can watch the files before I put them through MPEG Encoder, but after I only get sound.
    I have been using Ulead Movie Factory 2 to join avi files encoded with Xvid to make a vcd but I don't get any sound this way. I then tried to use virtual dub to produce a wav file and an avi file to then put through MPEG Encoder to produce an mpeg file to create the vcd.

8. barmybike

barmybike Guest

I can now get video and audio to play but the audio is out of sync with the video. The audio starts approx 14 seconds after it should. Any idea's?

9. dvdchum

dvdchum Guest

non whatsoever i'm afraid as I've never had any issues.

10. barmybike

barmybike Guest

sorted. Thanks for your help.

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

@ barmymike

how did you sort the lip sync problem out! i need help!

Thx...

12. swdickson

swdickson Member

Sorry to be a pest but I am new to this kind of stuff.

Is DivX different from XVid.

I have 2 DivX that I want to convert to DVD. Is it worth it. Is it good quality and how do I do it? The same way as described above for XVid?

Thanks

13. barmybike

barmybike Guest

@Rotary, I don't know what I did, it just started working ok. Sorry I can't be more help.

14. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

swdickson: DivX was the "original" ... an extension of Microsoft's MPEG4 codec. They really have done a good job. Some of the landmark codecs was the 3.11, 4.12 and 5.05 releases. DivX Corp saw that they could sell it and so they did. They also have an adware supported version.

XviD is a freeware version of the DivX codec and will foreva be free. It offers a higher bitrate (quality) for the same filesize. The only downside is that the codec is slightly more finicky compared to DivX.

My reccommendation: XviD :)

15. swdickson

swdickson Member

Thanks.
    Is it worth converting to DVD then? I take it it is along process just cause I want to watch them on my DVD player?

16. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

Yes mate, as long sa the .avi (DivX or Xvid) is good quality, then you'll get a decent dvd out of it. Totally agree with MainConcepts MPEG Encoder, i was using Nero Vision Express before i tried this, Mainconcepts totally blows NVE outta the water.

17. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

safc_66
    Nero Vision Express was never "in" the water. :p

18. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

Lol, yeah you're right enough there, Praetor.
    NVE was the first one i tried, gotta say, though, the results were good, but took for bloody ever !!! Main Concept is the mutt's nuts :)

19. TBONZ

TBONZ Member

Ok I have been following this thread and i think i can get some help here.
    Ok I have used tmpgenc to convert the movie then i try to use Nero express but when I try to "add" the vedio source it is not listed unless i look at "all files". so I burnt it that wasy and i had no sound.

So now i am back to step one
    I have the file
    I used avi codec to determine the video and audio format
    Video : 599 MB, 681 Kbps, 29.970 fps, 464*314 (4:3), DX50 = DivXNetworks Divx v5, Supported

Audio : 84 MB, 95 Kbps, 44100 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MPEG Layer-3, Supported
    Then I used VirtalDub Mod to convert to .avi ,Then used tmpgenc, then tried useing nero. I followed a guid to walk me through. And obviously I messed up with the virtualdub can someone tell me where. ??????????

20. MuRf

MuRf Member

Cheers dvd chum!!! !!!!just what i was lookin for!!a simple prog that does a good job--"www.mainconcept.com --its the shit!!!

"serial no longer works though --an i did get one or two probs with audio been out of time with the video!!!!