1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converted rm to mpeg. No sound!!

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by chooken, Nov 16, 2004.

1. chooken

chooken Member

i'm having trouble converting real media format to mpeg. i've tried two different programs, tmpgenc and RmConverter and they both convert the rm video well. the problem is once it's converted to mpeg there's no sound. well there's sound at the beginning for half a second, then the rest of the video has no sound. does anyone know why that is? thanks.

2. willg2004

willg2004 Member

This was a guide a wrote a while ago which worked for me so hopefully it will work for you:

RM TO MPEG CONVERSION GUIDE

Tools needed:
    • TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 (or higher)
    • Video Fixer 3.23 (or higher) (optional, but recommended)
    • River Past Audio Converter 5.1.3
    • ffmpegGUI (freeware)
    …………………………………………………………………………………………..
    This guide will not explain how to use the individual tools. If you want help with that, there are many other guides elsewhere.
    …………………………………………………………………………………………..
    1. Use Video fixer 3.23 to correct any errors in your rm file (optional, but recommended). This helps clean up the file and makes sure there are no errors later when converting.
    2. Use TMPGEnc to convert the rm file to mpeg. The audio that converts will probably not work (it hasn’t from my experience), it will just be the video that is working, I explain how we extract the audio below)
    3. Use River Past Audio Converter 5.1.3 to convert the (fixed version) of the rm file to wav.
    4. Use TMPGEnc to de-multipex (in mpeg tools) the created mpeg, just do this to the video file only as the audio file doesn’t work from my knowledge.
    5. You should be left with 2 files, the Video file(m2v) and the Wav file.
    6. Convert the wav file to mp2 using ffmpegGUI
    7. Use TMPGEnc to Multiplex the mp2 and the m2v file. And Your finished with your MPEG file:)

Hope this helps you! There may be an easier way but I couldn’t find one when I searched. This way you keep the original quality too!! Thanks Will :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004