1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converted video is half the length

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Gibush, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Gibush

Gibush Member

Hi. I've been taking some videos with an older digital camera which makes video in the .mov format (quicktime).

I can't put those in Windows Movie Maker or Wax 2.0, so I convert to either wmv or avi. Wax only supports .avi.

The program I use is Any DVD Converter Pro 3.77. It's worked fine for everything but .avi.
    If I put a .mov in and convert it, it halves the length. It doesn't cut off, thought, it speeds it up. So my 30 second video became 15 seconds and my 8 second one became 4. Yes, it makes a hilarious effect, but sometimes I want a regular-mo video.

I've tried messing with the framerate but that does nothing. I've decided to keep that on Auto and resolution on Original so nothing messes up (hopefully).

Now, the website for these products (actually it's for Any Video Converter which is the free version but very similar in interface) has a FAQ and one of the questions is exactly my problem. It says that this can happen and to fix it you need to put a command under Options > Additional MEncoder options.

It says to use -speed 0.5.

At first this didn't work, the conversion said failed, but I think I might have typed it in wrong (had a space before the -).

Now when I do it, it converts but it's the exact same. -speed 0.1 does nothing either. Still exactly half the time of the original video.

This is getting annoying. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit: Arghhh, now it's doing that with WMV too.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  2. attar

attar Senior member

3. Gibush

Gibush Member

Will do. Downloaded it, gonna try now.

Just wondering though, even if this does work:
    what would cause Any DVD Converter to go all wonky all the sudden?

Ok, it worked. That's odd. But thanks, this seems like a great program without a bunch of junk clogging it up. Simple, easy, fast.

Question: When I make a digital camera video it not only puts out the .mov file but also .LCB and .ABK files for each video I make. What are these? They're all less than a kilobyte.

Also, all my converted videos from the camera, no matter what format, have black bars on the bottom and right.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

5. attar

attar Senior member

Not sure about the black bars - could it be that your source is 4:3 aspect ratio and you are using the 'widescreen' (16:9 aspect ratio) preset in winFF, when it should be 'full'????

6. Gibush

Gibush Member

Ack, I didn't even see you had responded to this thread! Sorry about that.

I've tried everything, full screen, widescreen, lots of other options too. Like putting in the right ratio (320x240) manually but nothing changes.

It's weird... if you go in fullscreen, they're on the left, bottom and right, but they're thicker on the right. It's messed up.