1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. nerys

nerys Member

your goldwave is confused :). mode 4 audible I happen to know is 32kbps mp3 (with some added drm crap)

modes 1,2,3 are less.

Chris Taylor
    http://www.nerys.com/

2. Imemine

Imemine Member

using Riverpast audio; do you still have to continue to delete theplaylist.ap file?

3. jordanpp

jordanpp Member

Yes Imemine,

It will prevent the plugin to check the playlist file for any record of an listened aa file and start playing from the last listened point. :)

4. karenm69

karenm69 Member

Wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread and let anyone else who may be interested know that yes, I was able to obtain a current key for v5.0 from River Past's customer service after paying for the 6.2 version, but it took several business days for the reply, so plan to be patient if you want to do this ...

5. Russ56

Russ56 Member

I have down loaded the River Past product ver 5.0. The actavation key of removed by mod does not work. How can I activate this vertion?

Thanks in advance

6. nerys

nerys Member

I am not sure but from what I understand you have to contact the company that makes that program and request a key for the older version.

Chris Taylor
    http://www.nerys.com/

7. navsav

navsav Regular member

How To Convert .aa (audible) files to mp3.

Its easy and works great if you use grpahedit. The dbpower amp direct show codec can do it but the quality is not good. Other software I found does not do a very good job. Audible has some type of security that makes it hard to convert even in goldwave. so follow this tutorial and send me an email if you need help.

Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Ok, here's a guide to using graphedit.
    First up you're obviously going to need graphedit. Go to www.videohelp.com and search for it. Download and extract it. Browse to the folder and run register.bat to get the required directshow filters.
    Second you need graphedit to be able to understand your audible file. To do this you need Windows Media Player to understand it - they both use the same filters. Go to the Audible homepage and find the download site for your book. Select the format you want (probably the highest) and click stream. Internet Explorer will ask if you want to install the activex controls. (If you have SP2 you may have to click in the information bar). Install these. Click stream again to verify that WMP will open and play the audio.
    Now go into graphedit. Go to File --> Render Media File. Find your audible file. It may be stored in C:\Program Files\Audible\Programs\Downloads (I'm assuming you've already downloaded your book!). Now you'll see some grey boxes basically which show what's happening to your file. You'll see the file is passed to the audible codec which then sends it to the directsound device (i.e. your speakers). The idea is to grab that speaker output and redirect it to a file. So click the last grey box and press delete. You now are left with just the two boxes.
    Go to Graph --> Insert Filters. In the big list find Directshow Filters and click the + next to it. Now find WAV dest (if it's not there you didn't run register.bat!). Click insert filter. In the same list find File Writer. Click insert filter. Choose a name for your file (like, i dunno, audible.wav) Click close. You'll now see the grey boxes that you've just created. We have to tell graphedit that from the audible codec the sound is fed to WAV dest and then file writer. Find the little box on the right of the audible grey box that says output. Drag from there to the in on wav dest. From the out of wav dest drag to the in of audible.wav (or whatever you called it).
    Now it's ready to go. Click play on the toolbar and wait. It won't seem like it's doing much. Open the folder where you are saving your wav. Have a look at it's file size. It's probably a fairly small number. Check it occasionally. When it's big (around 150MB per hour of audio) it's probably done. Click stop inside graphedit. Double click on your wave to open it. You might want to seek to the end and make sure it's all there. Now you can do what you like to your wave like say open it in itunes and convert to mp3 or aac or whatever.

You can get GraphEdit with register.bat here
    http://www.stokebloke.com/video/index.php

8. Imemine

Imemine Member

Man, just use goldwave. you retrieve the file (make sure you delete the playlist.ap file wihin the audible admin directory each time it pops up) then you just save as and name the file.

Quality is excellent

9. jordanpp

jordanpp Member

Imemime is right. With goldwave you have much less trouble then what you show as with graphedit.

I did it many times. Ok, goldwave is breaking from time to time which is probably my overloaded laptop but with some patience I managed to convert all my collection.

What I would like to stress out for non aa owners: All the converting presumes that you have an account with audible and you convert your own files e.g. you have the filter for Media player installed. So actually Goldwave is the most efficient tool up to now.
    It saves you time playing your files in full lenght and record the simultaneously with Total Recorder. It simly saves you time. But all we speak about is convert your own files.

Has anyone have any idea on how many Ipods you can download your aa files? I know that you can place the files from two accounts into on single Ipod (to place more is blocked by the Ipods firmware although I never tried) but on how many Ipods you can share your aa files I dont know. It seems there is no limitation?

10. bratcher

bratcher Active member

According to the Audible web sight you can have 3 desktop players activated (one on each computer) & each desktop can have 3 portable players activated. So your answer is 9 Ipods on a single account using 3 computers.

11. Imemine

Imemine Member

Jordanpp is correct about conversions assuming you have an audible account. I tried to convert an aa file on one of my computers using Goldwave (but with no audible program) and Goldwave wouldn't even read it. But when you have the audible manager installed it works. Now, you can set up an audible account without paying the monthly fee, because they sell their books to non club subscribers, but you pay more. So you can easily set up an account. NOt sure if you can use Audible manager without an account. But anyway, you can share auidile files very easily too. I wish there was a group that was pulled together to do that. Just remember when converting aa files with goldwave, to keep the audible manager, admin folder open so you can see when the playlist creates, then delete it. I've noticed it creates when goldwave starts to retreive the file and once again when it's done retreiving it.

Would someone please start a sharing group for audible files? LOL

12. jordanpp

jordanpp Member

Hi bratcher,

this calculation seems ok, but when you activate your Ipods via Audible Manager.

With Itunes I do not see any activation via my audible account.
    I just plug in my Ipod and some of my friends and it shows in Itunes as an Ipod where you can easy copy the audiobook files. Just keeping in mind that on one Ipod only the files from two accounts can be payed.
    I have tried with 4 different Ipods so far.

13. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Maybe I should buy an Ipod instead of burning CD's...

But I use the CD's on the home stereo, in my pickuo truck plus a portable (walkman type with headphones) CD player. Burning CD's works very well for my needs...

14. navsav

navsav Regular member

Ok I tried to use Goldwave but it brought up something called the "audible section manager". Then when I converted the file I noticed that it had started somewhere in the iddle of the file. The "audible section manager" seemed to be causing me problems on starting at the beginning of the track. So I gave up on that method and went with graphedit instead.

As for the person's comment about ipod versus cd: you can play opur ipod on any home stereo with a simple mini to RCA plyg (at radio shack for 5 bucks). I play my ipod in my car using a tape cassette adapter which works great. Most new car stereos even have an input to directly plug in your ipod. I don't know how i went through life before my ipod!

15. jordanpp

jordanpp Member

navsaw,

If you look back you will see that there i s a playlist file which contains the listening status of any audiobook you own. Delete the file and start converting again. I will work:)

With an Ipod you can use an FM Transmitter.
    I would strongly recomend the one from Griffin with the car adapter. After trying many, that one seems with least noise.

Griffin RoadTrip All-In-One Car Solution for iPod & iPod mini

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...47979-9510312?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

16. enialbw

enialbw Member

I have been doing this for a few years, and I am an avid reader of this forum. The most painless / best combination I have found is Goldwave and mp3po Pro.

17. jordanpp

jordanpp Member

Hi enialbw,

Tell me a bit more about mp3po Pro.

;)

18. onesys

onesys Guest

19. Imemine

Imemine Member

Is your program any easier than Goldwave, specifically do we need to sit and watch for that playlist file to delete it? I would love to find a program that could convert them using a batch so I didn't have to watch them.

Could you tell me what are the pros of your program vs. Goldwave.

thanks
    Marilene

20. onesys

onesys Guest

Marilene,

My program does not replace Goldwave at all. In it's original form, and indeed in the version I still use for myself it did. I was contacted by audible and given a cease and desist for that functionality. What it does have left is to split the files in a more reasonable manner consistent with audiobooks, as opposed to music. As has been indicated previously, some people find the functionality very useful.

As for will I ever do the replace Goldwave thing again. I don't know, I would have to work out some kind of legal arrangement with Audible to do so. I suspect this would be something they would not be quick to embrace as they specifically state the reason they do not provide mp3 at all as a format.