1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. sjpainter

sjpainter Member

Well, it seems that the download link posted earlier for the 5.0.3 version of River Past Audio Converter isn't working any more, does anyone else know of a working download location?

I'd really like to be able to convert MP3s to AAs, as it's such a convenient file format to use on my MP3 player.

Thanks,

Simon

2. Imemine

Imemine Member

To Cootsie.

what about the playlist.file in the admin directory. It makes this file twice when retrieving the file into goldwave. once when it first accesses it (which I delete) and next when its finished accessing it. If you don't delete this before converting the book will start in the middle or at a place you last bookmarked it or even listen to it.

At least mine do.

3. cooties

cooties Member

Hiya!

I considered the mp3po - I wish I could afford it! It looks ideal, and were money no object I'd snap it up. Alas, for now, my itty-bitty 186kb MP3 Direct Cut freeware (that's the entire file!) will have to do. For (I assume) the same reason that you have to charge for the mp3po, I have to work the freebie angle - we're all just trying to break even! How 'bout I put it this way:
    "Until you have time to save up and get mp3po pro, this little freeware program is a reliable, if not labor-saving, stopgap measure". ;)

Did anybody who's been trying again and again to get the .aa files to convert give my particular instructions a try? Did it work for you? Just wondering - I'd like to think I helped somehow!

Take care! -C.

4. cooties

cooties Member

Hiya!

I considered the mp3po - I wish I could afford it! It looks ideal, and were money no object I'd snap it up. Alas, for now, my itty-bitty 186kb MP3 Direct Cut freeware (that's the entire file!) will have to do. For (I assume) the same reason that you have to charge for the mp3po, I have to work the freebie angle - we're all just trying to break even! How 'bout I put it this way:
    "Until you have time to save up and get mp3po pro, this little freeware program is a reliable, if not labor-saving, stopgap measure". ;)

Did anybody who's been trying again and again to get the .aa files to convert give my particular instructions a try? Did it work for you? Just wondering - I'd like to think I helped somehow!

Take care! -C.

5. cooties

cooties Member

About the extra files it puts in there - I don't delete anything - once you start playing it in WMP, and hit the "stop" button, then minimize the window, it seems (at least, for me) to do everything just right - WMP has retrieved permission/has permission to play the file, and the "bookmarked" part is wherever you stopped it - which, in this case, is just before the actual audiobook starts. I think that having the file already open in WMP acts like a kind of a "key" to allowing you to work with it at all.
    Interestingly enough, the conversion includes the "this is audible" part anyway. With all the other methods I've tried, I kept losing parts of the file at the beginning, or the progress would stop every time it hit something like 10%...I've done 3 of my books in the last 2 days with the exact method I outlined, and not lost one whit of the file in transition. Before this week, it had been hit-and-miss, with occasional success.

I tried the "deleting things" tack earlier, when I read it here, but it seems like doing that was throwing away my permission to use the file...at least, that was what it appeared to be. If you already deleted things pertaining to the files you're trying to convert, you might (?) have to go to your archived items at audible.com and re-download the items so that you have the permissions to play them...? I ended up re-downloading the items that I had tried the deleting-files angle on - they work now.

I SO hope this helps you to get them converted! It seems ridiculous to not let people who PAID for the silly audiobooks LISTEN to them without buying over-priced new equipment! I mean, if you BUY an audiobook on disc in a bricks-and-mortar store, you can convert it to any format you like! Sheesh!

Thanks! Hope it works for you now!

6. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Another idea is to burn the books (in Audiblemanager) to CD's then rip the burned CD's into mp3 files. I'm sure thats how Audible books wind up un the audio book usenet newsgroups.

7. jadoglio

jadoglio Member

Good idea but my experience using the Audibles program to burn those disks will means it will probably take you the rest of your life. GoldWave and MP3PO is the best way to do it so far. Good Luck

8. bratcher

bratcher Active member

You either have a very slow CD burner (my first one was 4x) or you don't have DMA enabled for the burner.

I have burned Audible CD's at 32x although I now burn all audio (even from music & book mp3's) at 16x. Still fast enough for me! My DVD burner will do CD's at 40x & my CD burner will do them at 52x but I have no need for those higher speeds.

9. nerys

nerys Member

I think you misunderstood by design limitation cd can only hold 90 minutes worth of audio (80minutes for standard consumer discs)

there is a way to put 180 minutes (160 consumer) on a disc but it requires software editing to use the left and right channels for each "track" to double the time on the disc and THEN it will only work in walkman style players where you can RIG sdaptors to play on the left or right channels to both outputs.

so lets assume 80 minutes per disc. my audio book is 13 hours long. do the math.

dont matter how fast your burner is thats a LOT of discs and lead in and lead out times still take a long time plus disc swaping plus reripping recompressing etc.. etc.. etc.. no thanks.

FYI that 13 hour book would require a MINIMUM of 10 CD's and thats a SMALL audio book I have many over 20 and 30 hours long.

its simple people install goldware drag and drop the aa file into goldwave wait for it to deflash and save. done

the only ones that give me trouble are the few SHORT oness I have (I am going to try that push the forward button trick never thought of that)

Chris Taylor
    http://www.nerys.com/

10. Imemine

Imemine Member

yes I do the same thing but Audible has an automatic book mark on files so you can pick up where you left off, using any device. So if you don't delete that file that marks it, your mp3 files will not always start at the beginning

11. jadoglio

jadoglio Member

i have a DVD burner that writes CD's at 32X. Not sure if DMA is enables or not butr using the CD burining software included in Audible Manager as close as I could tell it was burning at abou 2X.

12. Imemine

Imemine Member

everytime I try to burn a cd using audibles burner nothing comes out correctly and some of the book is missing

13. jordanpp

jordanpp Member

Hi there,
    for splitting the mp3 files I had ggod experience with
    MP3 Splitter & Joiner 2.9, Its not free -19.95 USD but it has a really good user interface :)
    Jordan

14. cooties

cooties Member

Imemine - might have figured out why I don't have that problem - I always listen to the beginning to make sure that I got it, and then forward the slider to the very end and listen to the last minute or two to verify that it's complete, and THEN I go do the process as I outlined above...perhaps listening to the end of the file clears out the memory?...hmmm...couldn't hurt - trying that yourself might keep you from having to hack all around your computer to deal with the pesky little file...

-c

15. ccbaluba

ccbaluba Member

I have read a good amount of this thread, but forgive me if I'm asking something that has already been asked. I am on a Mac. And both goldwave and the "river - something or rather" software seem only to work with PC's. Are there any solutions for converting .aa files to .mp3 files on a mac that anyone knows of? I read someone had a solution with an older version of iTunes...but I have a tendancy to keep mine updated. Ooops... Any other suggestions?

16. djscoop

djscoop Active member

Nope, I'm pretty sure you need a real computer, not a mac to since there is virtually no software out there for it.

Just wanted to mention about the burning length of CDs from above, they do make 90 minutes, 800MB CDRs. They used to make 99 minutes ones as well, but I haven't been able to find them in a few years. You can find the 90 min ones at allmediaoutlet.com

17. Imemine

Imemine Member

I've been doing a few test on what bitrate sounds the best and the size of the files. audible files are so small and when you convert them they grow so large. I usually do 96, but today I've done the same file 3 times in 96, 64, 56. between the 96 (244,886 kb) and 64 it dropped the file size 81,628 kb to 163,258.. the 56 only took the size down to 142,850. I've already listened to the quality between the 96 and 64 mono and I dont hear a difference. I think I will use the 64 bitrate.

any one else have any thoughts on this.

Marilene

18. stoneweed

stoneweed Member

Once you convert them to .mp3 files, do you have iTunes convert to AAC files so that they can be bookmarked while you are listening to them?

19. Imemine

Imemine Member

Actually I put them on my muvo and it bookmarks them at any point which I stop.

20. cooties

cooties Member

ccbaluba:
    I know nothing about macs, but I think there's something called a "windows emulator" (google it) that might be able to help you out with programs that won't work on mac...??? But something tells me that would take up WAY too many resources to do that - might just be cheaper to get a 5 year old used win 98 or 2000 PC (2000 is preferable - more stable than 98) - seems like "obsolete" desktop PCs cost less than audio manipulation software titles nowadays...probably even less than an iPod...my HP Pavilion 9780c came with a cd burner and a dvd player, ethernet port, and all the other garbage that was "state of the art" in 2000, and I betcha I couldn't get more than 100 bucks for it now...INCLUDING the monitor!...luckily, it still does what I need it to do, at least for another year.