1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Shephild

Shephild Member

.aa to .mp3 at 50x realtime encoding!

I've finally found a way to convert .aa (audible) to .mp3's at 50x realtime! Just use dBpowerAMP Music Converter which can be found at: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm. Install the DirectShow codec: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-directshow.htm And follow the instructions found at: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?p=37339#post37339

IMPORTANT: You must make sure that the "Section Navigation" controls are at the start of the .aa file; otherwise you won't convert the entire file. Also, if you set channels: [as source] and fequency: [as source] and kbps to 56 kbps you can attain the 50x encoding. dBpowerAMP Music Converter is a great program.

Hope you find this as useful as I have.

Shephild

2. cephus

cephus Member

Shephild,

It looks as though this will work perfectly! Setup is a bit complicated, though your instructions make it clear.

Thank you!

Cephus

3. onesys

onesys Guest

Just some FYI for the group, I have negotiated a way to legally restore some of this functionality to mp3po so you can again do it in one click. Version 2.0 should be shipping in a couple of weeks as soon as I add this. Unfortuneatly due to the legal requirement of maintainting DRM in the output the file extracted will have to be WMA or some other such medium.

4. sinbaram

sinbaram Member

Fantastic - the DB Poweramp option works a dream! (Never did get Goldwave to work...)

Many thanks for working this one out and posting it here :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  5. jordanpp

jordanpp Member

DB PowerAmp works perfect!

Does someone know if it can do batch processing?

6. cephus

cephus Member

I was curious about batch processing as well. Perhaps the registered version? Otherwise, I'm very pleased! Performance as well as quality is outstanding!

Cephus

7. Imemine

Imemine Member

If your program will convert aa files to wmv or whatever, I will surely buy it. It will be well worth it to have them in the format we want.

will it also allow you to copy audio cd's into a format to use on mp3 players?

thanks
    Marilene

8. jordanpp

jordanpp Member

Hi,

Batch processing works fine with dbPowerAmp.

There is a dMC File Selector.

The other additions are also useful

Cheers,

Jordan

9. Shephild

Shephild Member

Hello,
    Yes, dBpowerAMP Music Converter does do batch encoding. All you need to do is select multiple .aa files in Windows Explorer and set the encoding the way you want and click "convert" and all files will be converted in order and the same attributes. Or you can, as state above, use the file selector window. Enjoy the simplicity!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  10. Mandog

Mandog Member

NM

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  11. sking44

sking44 Guest

I am having trouble finding an older version of River Past. I have hit all the links in the thread but i always get 6.5. Any ideas on a new link?

Thanks,

12. Deucalion

Deucalion Guest

I belonged to Audible for 4 years and finally got tired of their lame excuses for their proprietary format. I have found that I can purchase unabridged CD sets of my favorite authors on ebay for the same amount of money or less than I was paying audible. In fact there are some European sellers that are making multiple book mp3 compilations of authors such as Ludlum, Cussler, Clancy, Koontz, etc. These can be bought for less than $11.

13. jordanpp

jordanpp Member

Hello Deucalion,

can you show me a place (in Europe) where these multiple audibooks cds are sold?

Thank you

Jordan

14. NoMorePay

NoMorePay Member

15. Deucalion

Deucalion Guest

Ebay, I just did a search on ebay "Audio Books, MP3" and came up with 793 hits. Looks like just about anything you want cheap.

16. CutePaw

CutePaw Member

I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread.

Even as a complete techno idiot I've finally managed to convert some of my audible files so i can listen to them on my MP3 player.

A great saving on CDs, money (and doubtless the environment)
    Thank you to everyone for the easy to follow advice.

17. noushina

noushina Member

Yes thanks! I have found the GoldWave instructions from TimeKills, and RMGOTT to be extremely useful. GoldWave allows (with a bit of tweeking) to directly convert (as TimeKills pointed out) to a variable bit rate that is not much larger than the original. And RMGott's instructions allow one to auto split the file into chunks the size you like. I only wish the autosplit would allow a few repeated seconds from the last segment, such as TotalRecorder does.

I had been using total recorder, but it would only go about 6x original speed. GoldWave allows on my machine about 25-30x original speed. Someone said that dbPowerAmp would do like 50x. But while DBPowerAmp does say that it is recording at this speed, as far as I can tell it is the same as GoldWave speed.

For me it seems that GoldWave converts much faster to a format like wave. (But who wants files that big). And, to ogg, pretty slow.

So thanks again, TimeKills, and RMGott and all those others who made these discoveries.

Make sure to propogate these instructions, bc I had read that Audible tried to get a forum (this one I think) to delete any threads showing how to backup your audible files ... trying to make it appear that it is illegal to share such info. It is not. Especially since GoldWave and also DBPowerAmp, use the Direct Show digital rights info and verify that you are the owner before they convert.

18. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Several people (lately) have sent me messages asking for the Riverpost software. I don't have it anymore (as I prefer to burn CD's from my Audible files) so please stop asking me...

19. DMeenach

DMeenach Member

I am a newbie to this site, but I have been searching the internet for days to find a conversion program to go from .AA to .MP3 or .WAV or .WMA or just about anything else my Creative MuVo player will recognize.

I am ignorant about the legaleeze between Audible.com and other entities. I am a member of Audible.com and pay $21.95 per month and have for over 2 years. None the less I am not trying to rip off anyone, I will gladly pay for the correct software.

I have tried several suggestions in the thread with no luck. Can anyone out there help me??

Tired of dealling with Cd's

DM

20. cludwig

cludwig Member

DM,

I followed Shephild's instructions for DBPowerAMP with no problems at all except for a few seconds at the end missing due to an issue on audible's side with XM radio programs. I am using a old version of the Audible manager(I think 3.5)and I found the link to that in this thread too.