1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Anjinsan5

Anjinsan5 Member

I was using Goldwave for a long time to convert the files and it worked great. The problem is that now it looks as though Audible has added something to the works so that as the book is being decompressed the order of the files is being shuffled. This just seems to have started and I believe it was right after AUdible found out that the software could do the conversion. So I now need another way to decompress the files or I have to go back to the 15 disk versions of books instead of 2 cds that I can use with the MP3 format.

Does anyone know of anything that still works for the decompression

2. ms55571

ms55571 Member

Problem with the DBPowerAMP. It seems to convert .aa files perfectly but just the first 20 minutes of it. What do I do wrong?

3. need_for2

need_for2 Guest

okay i have tons of downloaded songs and a half of them are in M4A files how do i convert them to MP3 's. My computer doesnt play them so its a pain since i have to burn them all on cds so i can listen to them on my cd player.

Thankz

4. need_for2

need_for2 Guest

sorry it posted like 100 times

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2005
  5. need_for2

need_for2 Guest

Sorry it only posted 2 extra times not 100

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2005
  6. onesys

onesys Guest

Anjinsan5,

Still works for me. Don't use Goldwave to split the files, just use it to convert it to a single mp3 then use mp3po to split it. You can find that on download.com, it's $17.77 then you won't have problems with file order.

7. jem7991

jem7991 Member

I saw Sephilius' (Spelling) post

IMPORTANT: You must make sure that the "Section Navigation" controls are at the start of the .aa file; otherwise you won't convert the entire file. Also, if you set channels: [as source] and fequency: [as source] and kbps to 56 kbps you can attain the 50x encoding. dBpowerAMP Music Converter is a great program.

What do you mean by Section Navigation? where is that? i have looked and do not know what you are talking about.

8. need_for2

need_for2 Guest

can anyone help me convert M4A music files to MP3 's anybody please help me!
    THANKZ

9. jem7991

jem7991 Member

Also the converter of yours isnt converting the full book and i dont know why, i played the book normally thru WMP, then i paused it at the begginging and it did more than it did previously....I dont understand how do i get it to do the full book?!?!?!?!

10. cephus

cephus Member

The audiobooks retain bookmarks. Open the book in Media Player, iTunes, etc, and reset the play progress bar to the beginning. Do not play the book agian, but close your player and start the conversion again. You should now have the entire book (or as much as is contained in the file) converted.

Cephus

11. jem7991

jem7991 Member

Thanks so much i appriciate everyone who has contributed to this thread.

12. jem7991

jem7991 Member

one other thing, with that converter does anyone have a good recomendation for the settings? not to big file not to bad audio quality?

Thanks

13. phenner

phenner Member

ImTOO Audio Encoder 1.0.9

14. timekills

timekills Member

My last post on the previous page has suggested compression settings to attain equivalent sound quality to the original audio book at tthe minimal size. I'd relist it here, but I forgot to keep the other window open. Plus, it's a refresher on how to use Goldwave to convert to MP3 and split by pauses in the audio so it doesn't break up words.

Regarding Converting mp4 audio to mp3: No one has answered, because that is not the topic of this discussion, so no one here may have the answer. This is about converting Audible files (.aa) to mp3.

15. kkaudible

kkaudible Member

please listen everyone- this works, i did nothing different and these are good instructions. I think this came from this forum forgive me if it didnt but thanks to BARRY, (thats all i know) i converted my audible .aa to mpa. I PAID FOR ALL MY BOOKS, BUT MY BOOKS LIKE -THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA, are way too long to either sit and listen to as a wave file or put on 10 cds and then convert. You wont find River past 5.0 it will always convert to the 6.9 verison and not work. When I followed these directions - EXACTLY, I COVERTED AN 11 HOUR BOOK taking only 1.5 HOURS. HERE IS WHAT I GOT FROM A FORUM I FOUND- I DID NOTHING DIFFERENT JUST DOWNLOADED THESE 2 PROGRAMS - NO I DIDNT PAY- it didnt ask me to--- AND FOLLOWED WHAT THIS GUY SAID. ( i dont know you but thanks)

Thanks for the help. I finally did figure out how to use this program. It isn't ideal, as I will mention later, but it did the job. For those who would like step by step instructions, here they are:
    Start - Programs - dBPowerAMPMusicConverter - Configure DirectShowDecoder (notepad file)
    Replace .xyz with .aa (close and save changes)
    Start - Programs - dBPowerAMPMusicConverter - dBPowerAMPMusicConverter
    Select Music Files to Convert:
    Change Files of type to DirectShow (*.aa)
    C - Program files - Audible - Programs - Downloads - double click on file to convert
    dBPowerAMPMusicConverter
    Converting 1 File to Mp3 (Lame)
    Click Output to Folder and choose where you want the converted file to go.
    Click Convert
    It is a good idea to click the left arrow when Section Navigation comes up, even though you may have to redo the last dBPowerAMPMusicConverter steps, as without doing this, it often doesn't start at the beginning (even with doing this you may lose a few seconds at the beginning -- This is the problem I see with dBPowerAMPMusicConverter. It often takes multiple tries to get a clean converted file.). If the converter shows less than 1 hour remaining when it starts, you probably aren't starting at the beginning.
    Though dBPowerAMPMusicConverter is an unpredictable nuisance, it does the job

16. noushina

noushina Member

Is there any confirmation on Anjinsan's post about goldwave garbling the file order?

17. mikey405

mikey405 Member

Apologies if I'm repeating what other people have said - I've not really read huge chunks of the posts. I thought people may like to hear how I convert ANY playable format into MP3 using any version of Goldwave etc. A lot of sound cards (including the cheap Soundblaster card that I use) have an input selection of "What you hear" in the Windows volume control panel. Using Goldwave, I set a file which is longer in time than the entire length of any audio track (such as Audible) and set the recording input to "What you hear". I then mute all other inputs and turn sounds off in Windows control panel and select record. Then I use the media player or whatever else you use to play the file and leave it to run it's course.

After it's finished, I use Goldwave to automatically split the file into roughly 5 minute separate MP3 files with the Auto-cue function.

Okay, it may take all night to complete, but if it's time that the PC wouldn't be doing anything else, then it doesn't really matter.

I hope this is of some help to someone, but please ignore this if it's already been said.

Cheers everyone.

Mike.

18. Samalie

Samalie Member

OK - I've been running around like a mad fool trying to get this to work...

GoldWave seems to scramble the chapter order now, so thats a no-go.

dmc, same issues, it scrambles the chapters and/or just fails to convert the entire .aa file.

So, does anyone have River Past Audio Converter between 5.0.0 and 5.1.2? Seems at 5.1.3 they've already stripped out the .aa file compatibility. Either that or I'm missing something completely.

(For the record, I have no issue with buying RPAC, I just need a version that works)

Thanks in advance - if anyone wishes, I can be contacted at ICQ#10012819 or just PM me in the forum.

19. ms55571

ms55571 Member

Finally found a way. I had River Past 5.0 in my past computer installed but didn't have the installation files. Now version 5.0 seems to be impossible to find. However, a program called AVOne All to MP3 version 2.3 seems to do the job as well as River Past 5.0 but much faster.

20. noushina

noushina Member

Really. Nice to know.

Does it garble the order at all. There was a post a ways back claiming that goldwave was fookin' up the order of the audio, but it was not confirmed, and I never went back to check on the files I had converted.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006