1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. RedSoxMan

RedSoxMan Member

I too got this error when try to convert .aa to mp3 for my Sansa player.

"The CODEC required to decompress 'filename.aa' could not be opened.
    DirectShow filter for '.aa' not installed, or Audio File Corrupt. "

I'm using dBPowerAMP (v11.5 and v10). Able to play the file okay with WMP 10.

I try other method mention here but no luck!

What am I missing?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  2. onesys

onesys Guest

Do the files play in WMP? (Windows Media Player)

3. RedSoxMan

RedSoxMan Member

Yes, file play just fine on WMP ver. 10

4. CapnYuri

CapnYuri Member

I'm sorry if this has been covered already-- it's a very long thread. Here's my Goldwave story. I locate my aa file in Goldwave by using the "all files" option. I click open. I get a window that says Processing Audio Decompression. The process begins and in a bout 2-3 minutes I'm at 100% completion. But it never finishes. There's always 1 second "left", I can't close the window and, inf act, the program appears to be hung up. I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del my way out. I'd really like to get over this hurdle so I can get to all the other problems people have had!

Addendum: After installing the Windows Media Filter the Processing doesn't go to 100%. Now it goes to 4%, stops and the program hangs up.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  5. NiallG

NiallG Member

I found MSVCI70.dll at dlldump.com but I'm then asked what to open it with. I have no idea. Thanks.

6. cubzwin

cubzwin Member

Try not opening the .dll files, but instead saving in Windows/System32 folder on your hard drive.

7. Imemine

Imemine Member

To Yuri,

I'm not sure what version of Goldwave you are using, I use 5.06. But I've found that if you don't delete the playlist file that the Audible program makes when one of their files is opened (I think its a bookmark) then I get problems too. The playlist file is located under your programs directory/audible/admin.

This playlist file will be created twice. Once when you first open it and then again when its completed opening it. I delete it twice. Hope this helps.

Mar

8. RedSoxMan

RedSoxMan Member

Still no luck!

I uninstall all dBPowerAMP stuffs.
    reboot
    re-install dBPowerAMP and its decoder.
    still get ...
    "The CODEC required to decompress 'filename.aa' could not be opened.
    DirectShow filter for '.aa' not installed, or Audio File Corrupt. "

I did check to see if the trial period and it is expired! :( I only install this thing a couple of week ago. At this point, I'm cancelling my AuditBook membership.

Thanks for all your help!
    Red out

9. CapnYuri

CapnYuri Member

Thanks for the advice Imemine. By deleting the bookmark I was able to get past the 4% barrier. But now I'm back to the 100%- 1 second left hang-up. Any more help will be appreciated.CY

10. nerys

nerys Member

the control thingy should be visible during thsi process

hit the "back" rewind thing once when it hangs on 1sec left and it should finish fine (it might be the FFW button but try both)

I also had issues with really short audible books some just would not work properly.

Chris Taylor
    http://www.nerys.com/

11. CapnYuri

CapnYuri Member

Thanks. I will try that. In the meantime I have finally succesfully converted .aa to .wma using dbPowerAmp. Couldn't do it for .aa to .mp3.But I can use .wma on my player. Quality sort of bad but that's because I set it for the smallest file. I feel like I have climbed Mt. Everest. Now back to Goldwave! CY

12. DMeenach

DMeenach Member

I have a question. Pardon me if this has been asked and answered before. How does one convert an iTunes MPEG-4 (protected) to an mp3 or WAV format? iTunes says I may make copies, but how??

Keeping it short, but more to come,

Dennis

13. nerys

nerys Member

as far as I know there is no way to do this.

there is a DOUBLE conversion way to do it (burn to CD rip as MP3)

but this converts it TWICE making it sound worse than itunes aac does already and to keep from losing TOO much your forced to make the mp3 a redicioulously high bitrate to try to reduce the damage.

solution is easy DONT buy worthless music (and any content with DRM is worthless) it has ZERO value you DONT own it and you have NO rights to it EVER. they can change the terms ANY time they please.

Use allofmp3.com or better youet BUY the CD's !! it cheaper better quality and you have the RIGHT to do anything you want with it.

Chris Taylor
    http://www.nerys.com/

14. DMeenach

DMeenach Member

Good info, thanks. It's just sooooo convenient to download almost anything for $.99

15. jets80bd

jets80bd Member

i downloaded goldwave and also installed goldwave, however, when i try to convert .aa files to mp3 it doesnt recognize the file they are audible files that my friend recorded on dvd when i drag them into goldwave and start batch processing all i get when i play them is noise and static...any suggestions?

16. noushina

noushina Member

The files are encrypted. If you have Audible Manager installed and you have ownership of the file, then should be able to drag it into goldwave

17. noushina

noushina Member

Time to repost the GoldWave instructions found earlier in this thread. I have reformatted.

CREDIT goes to: timekills, rmgott, sadievan

If you have purchased Audible Books, then you know it is difficult to make a backup copy of the proprietary AA format. Likewise it is difficult to share them (if you happen to know anyone who actually likes to read the same garbage that you do

It turns out that GoldWave does a marvelous job.

Now Split the AA file as it converts and saves: (another C/P)
    Conversion takes 2 to 3 minutes for each hour of your audio book.

Humorous side note. The attorneys for Audible contacted the admin at the forum where I got this and tried to force him to remove this info claiming that it was a violation of the DMA. The same lawyers managed to get one software provider to remove the AA decoding. Goldwave however, using Digital rights management and only decodes if you have the ownership info in your registry. So there is no violation. There may be a contract violation between you and Audible, but certainly no violation of US law. (God forbid we should even think of violating the DMA )

The legal attempts at extortion pissed me off and so that is why I am making this info available here -- to help make sure that it is propogated. I have been struggling with Audible for 3 years. I like the content but not their attempts to keep me from even making a backup of items I have actually purchased. If they went out of business and I could not make a backup up, then SOL, because a computer that has not been authorized over the internet by them would not be able to play the books.

18. jadoglio

jadoglio Member

I bought Total Audio Converter. It works well on .aa files and is easy to use. The only problem is that if you want cue points or chapters you still need GoldWave or mp3po. For $20 it is a pretty nifty program.

http://www.coolutils.com/TotalAudioConverter

19. noushina

noushina Member

Thanks.

I imagine a mod will kill your live link, so let me post it again in a non live format.

/hxxp://www.coolutils.com/TotalAudioConverter

20. ezug

ezug Guest

thanks, noushina, for so clearly laying out Goldwave steps to convert aa files to mp3. I am a total newbie to this site but am fairly comfortable running software in general - I just downloaded Goldwave v. 5.13. I do subscribe to Audible and do have ownership of the books I am trying to convert to mp3.
    Please forgive my ignorance on some of this, however.I don't get the "audible window" you mention in your step 2 - I get a message that Goldwave doesn't recognize the file format and asks me to specify raw or vox. Then it asks me to choose attributes - I stay with the default on that. I had earlier followed your steps to specify the Default Save Format.

Have followed your cue point instructions as well. All seemed to work fine until I tried to play it back and got total static.

I know Audible files are encrypted, but thought having the Audible software installed and operative would allow me to do this conversion.

Thanks for whatever mistake you can tell me I'm making :)