1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. chrislove

chrislove Member

Okay I found the answer again. dbPowerAmp is free and I like it. The instructions below are copied from another forum on the same topic.
    --------------------
    There exists no clear guide to add audible support to dbpoweramp, here is what I did:

1) Install dbpoweramps DirectShow codec:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codecs/dB...ShowDecoder.exe

2) Install AudibleManager AND Windows Media Player Filter (bottom of download page):

http://www.audible.com/software

3) Set DirectShow to know about Audible file types:

Start >> Programs >> dbpoweramp Music Converter >> Configure DirectShow Decoder

at the end of this text file type (on a new line):

.aa

Save the file (File >> Save)

4) Run dBpowerAMP Configuration:

Start >> Programs >> dBpowerAMP Music Converter >> Configuration >> dMC Configuration

That is it, dbpoweramp can read audible files and Sveta Portable audio can upload Audible files to portables that support it.

2. MSpartan

MSpartan Member

I've read through this thread, and eventually got this to work for me using Goldwave. However, I just noticed that for some reason, the last few minutes seem to be getting cut off. I've tried this numerous times, by hitting the section navigation to the end (since that worked for some people who were getting cut off at the beginning), but I still get the same problem. When I scroll over to the end while playing it in Goldwave the end is there, but the last little bit just doesn't convert over to mp3.

Any ideas?

3. phenner

phenner Member

A "band-aid approach" might be to use GW to add some silence at the end of the file before converting it.

4. tzinck

tzinck Member

I have found the dll file - but where do I copy it to ?

I have tried to copy it to windows dir and windows/system32 - but I still can't install the media player filter

5. Imemine

Imemine Member

To MSpartan

When you are retrieving the book into GW, go into your audible directory and under admin there is a file named Playlist.ap. YOu have delete this file before you convert it. This is what I believe marks the file like a bookmark. YOu have to delete that file then convert to mp3.

let me know if you need anymore help

Marilene

6. leorob

leorob Member

I used to use Goldwave to convert Audible .AA files to MP3. Recently that has failed to work.
    I am using the newest Goldwave version. I am also unable to use Direct Show.
    Has there been a recent change in the .AA files?
    What am I missing?
    (I legally own these audible files so I am not pirating).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  7. alaneric

alaneric Member

It may be anecdotal, but I've found that Goldwave works better if I keep Windows Media Player open (to the same file) while loading the .aa into Goldwave.

8. leorob

leorob Member

I finally got it to work by reinstalling the Audible Windows Media Player Filter. It would not install because it could not find a couple of .dll files. I found the .dll's on the net and downloaded them and now can open and convert in Goldwave.
    Thanks

9. mrsjane

mrsjane Member

Hi all
    I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before, but in case anyone hasn't done it this way: I've been converting THOSE FILES to A FILE I CAN READ by first (using THEM) writing THOSE files to a CD, then copying the tracks back off the CD in mp3 format. Its not fast but it is reliable.

P.S. I only did this because a band I like were only selling their new EP on THEM (or on vinyl LOL) and I wanted to be able to play it on my non-them player. I paid for it and everything :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  10. kubicek

kubicek Member

-- hush! --

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  11. tzinck

tzinck Member

well done Dave

12. nacht

nacht Member

Hey!
    I used the method you guys described in this thread for quite some time now... but afer my computer died and I had to reinstall windows it wouldn´t work anymore...
    I reinstalled the german version of the Audible Manager and now
    I get a message that Goldwave doesn't recognize the file format and asks me to specify raw or vox.
    I also tried the TotalAudioConverter but it told me that there is no Audible codec found.
    I tried downloading the AudibleMediaPlayer.exe thingie, but everytime I open it, it tells me "Error copying files".
    I downloaded it 4 different times and each and everyone of it says the same.
    Funny thing is, I can open them in my windows media player just fine...
    So weird...
    I also downloaded the dll you guys mentione din this thread...

13. tzinck

tzinck Member

Try GoldWave - it is working for me

14. jadoglio

jadoglio Member

Dave,

Glad you were able to create a program to covert the aa files the way you want them. Sorry you misunderstood why people would not send you files. I beleive the issue was that while it is legal for you to make backups of the files you own (using any program you want). It is not legal for us to provide you files we do not own, but only have the right to use, so you can convert and back them up even if you send them back to us. It may be a grey area in the law but who wants to time dealing with it when all you had to do was spend $10-$20 and buy an aa file from Audible.

15. kubicek

kubicek Member

-- hush! --

TO ALL: try not to mention explicitly what are we talking about here. Just use "them" and "it". Thanks. ;)

16. jadoglio

jadoglio Member

Fair enough. You are probably right about encrypted file distribution. But if you only have a few p2p files to work with and what you say is true (that you need several), how are you sure yo have cracked the holy grail? Send me a private e-mail at ddunnxyatcomcastdotnet and perhaps we can help each other further. Your call.

17. kubicek

kubicek Member

Actually, I have all 4 types, many times. The structure is the same for all of them and there is only ONE way of getting the original stuff back (genuine algorithm with a proper key). I have "traced" all the libraries working with THE format, step by step, instruction by instruction. Therefore I know how THEY deal with their files - is there any better way? ;o) In fact, just one file would be enough, but for the differential analysis it's better to have more. You see the code working with different values. It helps to reveal the relations within the code a bit faster and makes the whole process a bit easier.

Some notes - activations are limited; each has it's "slot" and altogether there are 8 available. All the information to decrypt the files is stored within them, so you don't actually need any connection, subscription, passwords or even to own the files you are decrypting, which is nice. More importantly, if you burn IT to audio CDs (using manager) you'd better not redistribute them - stored audio very much seems to be watermarked (arbitrary stealth information is hidden in the raw audio). If grabbed into mp3's and shared over P2P, it is very easy for THEM to trace such audio back to the original customer.

For now, that's all I'm going to tell you about THEIR shabby practices (learned from the RE analysis). They don't care about you...

TO ALL: please, edit your replies not to be so specific... you know why I suppose. :) Thanks.

18. ai585

ai585 Member

If there is anyone who could email me a copy of Riverpast Audio converter 5 or 5.1, I'd be forever grateful. I can buy my own serial number. Thanks!!

ai5858 at gmaildotcom

19. trans3

trans3 Guest

Tunebite doesn't work without iTunes, so I converted my files with
    dbPowerAmp as described above (instead of downloading extra 60 mb though modem) and it worked perfectly - many thanks! Though dbPowerAmp is not that free but partly shareware now.
    192 kbit mp3 files, being somewhat big (five times bigger than originals "4"), sound great on RealOne (no offence to WMP intended...), 40 kbit files got an awfull mettallic noise: didn't try other bitrates yet.

20. cgbale

cgbale Member

kubicek:

Interested in your work. Sent you a PM.

Any updates to post?