1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. brendanm

brendanm Member

Hi there, I am new to all this so please bare with me. I'm using the latest version of GW and opening up my xx files perfectly. I use the autoocue function to put breaks in. I then convert to mp3 and find that all mp3 tracks are jumbled up. They still add up to the total length they should but they are not in any particular order.
    Any suggestions?

2. kayquinn

kayquinn Member

I know this subject has been on here before, but I need someone to outline the specific steps I need to take to convert audible.com books to a file that my Archos Gmini 402 can accept.

I have downloaded dBpowerAMP Music Converter...changed the file from .xyz to .aa...went to Windows Media Player hoping to sync the audible books to an acceptable format...but they are not showing up on my Gmini 402....what am I not doing? Many thanks for helping this frustrated, technologically, impaired, wanna-be book listener.

3. bratcher

bratcher Active member

People stop asking me (in private messages) for the Riverpost program. I don't have it anymore!!

4. bratcher

bratcher Active member

What is this about Audible putting in watermarks on the audio CD's burned with the program? Where did you hear that? Is it both versions 4 & 5 or version 5 only? I'm not looking to rip my CD's to mp3's then share with people. Just wanted to know if this is really true.....

5. corps

corps Guest

I spent a good while stuggling with various programs to make this conversion, and when I recently reformatted my hard drive, I had to struggle all over again.
    It has occured to me that the principle difficulty with the process is the mediaplayer filter. If that is right any of the programs will work well.
    After my rebuild I thought I had downloaded and correctly installed the filter from audible. The files would play on media player fine but no converter would work. It was only when I found an old saved version of the filter that I had success. It would only install when Media player and all other programs were closed (error was 'failed to copy files').
    When installed correctly the icons for the files had changed from the original green type to Media Player type icons.
    I wonder if the main problem many people have is that the files to be converted are not associated with Media Player but with the proprietry player. If a file is associated with media player, it might enable the conversion software to read the file though the filter and successfully recognise the file format.
    I suppose the bottom line is, if you are still having difficulties converting, and Media Player will play the file (filter is working OK), try changing the file association in 'folder options' to Media Player.
    If anyone has any luck with this let me know

6. rosie2

rosie2 Member

This has been a great thread tho i have not read every word.. here is what has happened with aa format;

the new audible manager 5.0 will not allow the conversions to mp3 anymore -- you have to roll back the manager to an earlier one -- preferably 3.5 and then river past will work great

7. Studeguy

Studeguy Member

That stinks, but it goes along with what else I've heard. So where do we get downlevel copies of Audible Manager?

Thanks,

Jeff DeWitt

8. Studeguy

Studeguy Member

Well it just got worse, my laptop had the older version of Audible Manager on it, and while it would convert the files fine it was slow. Well tonight the Audible Manager software thoughfully updated itself and now that computer will no longer convert files either.

This is REALLY annoying, I like full length books and am just not going to burn an 18 hour book onto CD's!

Jeff DeWitt

9. cludwig

cludwig Member

If I'm not mistaken you can uninstall the audible manager, resinstall the older version and disable the autoupdate feature.

10. Studeguy

Studeguy Member

Thanks, that makes sense, but I still need to find the old install file.

Jeff DeWitt

11. cludwig

cludwig Member

12. kubicek

kubicek Member

Watermarking? I didn't hear it anywhere - it's a first-hand fact, obviously. The message clearly states how I learned that; analyzing the binary code of the AM, instruction by instruction. :)

13. bratcher

bratcher Active member

So how are the audio CD's watermarked? Something we can't hear of course. The program burns 77 minute CD's. Could the missing 3 minutes contain the watermark info somehow?

14. chatteris

chatteris Member

Audible Manager Version 4.0 can be downloaded from www.audible.com - cannot log-on from the UK and it isn't necessary. At the bottom of the page there is a software link. The Windows 98 version is 4.0.

This is how I restored v4 and it works.

15. Studeguy

Studeguy Member

That worked!

Tried it my big PC, XP-Pro SP2, AMD Athalon 64 3500+, 1024 MB, and it works just fine, thank you VERY much.

Jeff DeWitt

16. VTtrader

VTtrader Member

Hi all,

My solution to this was to burn a disk image, then used a CD drive emulator to mount the disk image, and riped them to mp3 from the "virtual CD drive".

Advantages are:
    You don't have to waste CDs.
    Conversion was faster then using dbpoweramp.
    Having the smaller mp3s makes it so I can find where I left off easier.
    Being able to burn the whole thing on a single mp3 audio disk, if your player accepts mp3 audio disks.

Disadvantages:
    Requires a bit more user interaction.
    You might have to batch rename the files to insure they stay in the correct order

Sorry for the repeat if this was already suggested early on in the thread, I didn't get a chance to read the whole thread yet.

Regards,
    VT

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  17. krury

krury Member

I use audiotools ver. 5.10 to stream aa files to mp3. I tell audiotools to break the audio into 10 minutes chunks. I then get a mp3 for every 10 minutes of audio which I send to my Sony Minidisk. I just ordered a PSP and forgot to check if it was audible ready but oops. Looks like auditools gets used for it to. I let it run after I go to bed.

I dont know if they are still in business but the link is http://www.unrelatedinventions.com/Audiotools/
    I think I paid less than $20 for the software. I am in no way advocating this for other than personal legal use of aa files.

18. Studeguy

Studeguy Member

If you break the files into ten min segments will the player keep playing through or does it stop every ten min?

The Audible Manager ver 4.0 and Goldwave solution seems to work well for me, and like you the only reason I'm doing this is because I bought a MP3 player what was not AA ready (although it was incorrectly advertised that it was).

What we are doing is EXACTLY the same thing as buying a CD and ripping it to listen on the players, or in the old days buying an LP and copying it to a cassette to listen to in the car or on a walkman.

Jeff DeWitt

19. krury

krury Member

audiotools makes a new file for every 10 minute section. You can specify whatever period you want once they are in wav or mp3 format you can load them on your device.

20. krury

krury Member

I looked at goldwave and I think we are doing the same thing with different audio software. By the way no it doesnt stop every ten minutes it just switches to the next track.

Great minds think a like even if it is a pain in the ......