1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Odric

Odric Member

Hello Everyone,

I am looking as well for a working link to [bold]River Past Audio Converter 5.0.0.[/bold]

Maybe someone can help?

Thanx a lot!

Odric

2. alaneric

alaneric Member

VTtrader, what software do you use to create the disk image?

3. VTtrader

VTtrader Member

4. brandizzl

brandizzl Guest

OK. This is a short and simple guide to convert Audible .aa format to MP3. I guarantee it works.

1. Deactivate your current Audible Desktop Manager in the options menu and uninstall it.

2. Download Audible destop manager version 4.0 from this URL.(AKA Audible for Windows 98 *WILL work on Windows XP*)http://download.audible.com/AM36/ActiveSetupDelGp.exe

3. Install. You will have to import any currently stored audible downloads one by one with the "add audio files" option of the toolbar to listen to them.

4. Activate your new Audible Desktop Manager

5. Download and install 'Goldwave' audio editor from goldwave.com (any version will work, 5.14 is current)

6. Run Goldwave. Open an Audible download. Will take a minute to decompress.(when u open u will need to change the file type option to "All" to see your Audible files.)

7. Click "File", "Save as". Change the default .wav format to mp3. Then choose a bitrate. I recommend 44100 Hz 56k mono for a good compromise between file size and quality.

I'm sure other stated audio editors will work. Goldwave is easy and the one I use. Plus is free for quite a while before u will need to buy it.

5. jadoglio

jadoglio Member

That is the most useflul thread posted on this on board in two years. Good job. And I also guarantee it will work.

6. noushina

noushina Member

That certainly is shorter and sweeter than the previous Goldwave tutorials (including the one I rewrote).

I wonder what th epoint of downloading a different version of audible manager is. I mermely took my AA files and loaded them into goldwave.

Thanks.

7. brandizzl

brandizzl Guest

Audio editors, all of them as far as i know, need the Audible codec to decode the Audible format. The newest version of Audible does not seem to allow any program other than Windows Media Player to access this codec.

So its not the different versions of "Rivers Past Audio Converter" or whatever other editor u might use that is preventing u from reading Audible files. Its your Audible Desktop Manager. Hence, the reason for installing an older version of Audible.

The inconsistency of some people having success with an audio editor while others using the same editor have none is most likeley due to this.

P.s. I am not discounting anyones posted methods as I have not tried them all. I also in no way claim to be an expert on this, rather, just another person who wants to listen to his PAYED for audiobooks on the MP3 player he already owns...

8. brandizzl

brandizzl Guest

Oh, one other thing. You can see what version of Audible your using by clicking: "Help" "About Aubible Manager".

9. noushina

noushina Member

Ah. Thanks Brandizzle. Makes sense. I wondered why some folks couldn't make it work with Goldwave. I don't think I have audible player even installed anymore as I have downloaded most everything I purchased and converted it all to mp3.

10. knipknup

knipknup Member

On this step:

6. Run Goldwave. Open an Audible download. Will take a minute to decompress.(when u open u will need to change the file type option to "All" to see your Audible files.)

Goldwave opens a window saying it doesn't recognize the format and I need to select options. I tried a few guesses that all result in lots of noise but no useful files.

What options are correct? ...or am I missing something?

Thanks.

11. wolff000

wolff000 Member

Did you read his post? Cause he only linked to a trial version not the full version of the software. So he broke no rules what so ever. You should try reading before spouting off and banning people. I suppose I could be next now that I said something.

12. Studeguy

Studeguy Member

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Does anyone know a program for converting mpeg to wave or mp3's ?I've got a U2 Live Boston concert DVD..I've used mpeg-vcr to extract individual mpegs of the songs..But I'm new at Audio conversions..I've looked all over for just a music CD,to no avail can I find
    APOLOGIZE...If this is wrong thread

14. Studeguy

Studeguy Member

15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Studeguy..Thank you very much...Ilooked for a thread..But could not find it..so just took a shot in the dark
    Anyway thanks again RiverPast did the trick

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2006
  16. UWChem

UWChem Member

So I finally got all my ducks in a row and got my .aa files converted to mp3. Then I wanted to organize them into some different folders. Once they are in their new destination, all their information is lost and I can't delete or move them again. Please help!

17. noushina

noushina Member

What do you mean, "their information is gone" Makes no sense to me. If they properly decoded then should be playable. If you can't erase or move, try rebooting. I know with AVI files I sometimes have to actually rename the extention to move them. Some fluke in XP I have heard.

18. shjanes

shjanes Member

Ok, I have read through 18 pages of posts now :)

I have an MP3 player which is not compatible with the audible service. I have a ton of .aa files on my computer and I would like to convert them to .mp3 files. I have read about Goldwave and River Past Audio Converter. I liked the simplicity of River Past the best.

Here is what I have done:

1) Installed Windows Media Player 11
    2) Installed Audible Manager for Windows Media Player
    3) Installed River Past Audio Converter 5.0.0
    4) Registered River Past Audio Converter 5.0.0
    5) I verified that I can play the .aa files in Windows Media Player 11.
    6) I open River Past Audio Converter 5.0.0 and click '+ Add'.

Here's the issue - When I click '+ Add' it acts like it is going to add but then I get a pop up window that tells me: The following files do not contain recognizable audio.

I have read the material on this forum, but cannot seem to get past this issue. Is there anyone who can offer me some advice or guidance?

Shawn.

19. mike1171

mike1171 Member

Hi to all,

I'm new here also new at audible but have the same problem: I want to use MP3. I dodn't read all pages of this thread, so sorry in advance for my (perhaps) stupid questions.

@shawn: Seems logical that the newest audible-codec does not work with any application anymore, read above.

Another idea, or let's better say, a modified way for a solution maybe could be: why not burn CDs with the AudioManager (and best support from Audible)?
    What I particularly do not like in burning silly audio CDs is the waste (both economically and ecologically).
    But I think VirtualCD emulates CDs on Harddisk and it can also emulate CD-burning (a CD-burning-device). Harddisk space is really not the problem and used just temporary. It should be possible to point AudioManager to burn on a virtual CD? After that... rip it and delete!
    Did anybody try this already?

20. mike1171

mike1171 Member

Oh, and please excuse me for my poor English.