1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. KatNap

KatNap Member

Lord of the Rings = UK

2. impresa

impresa Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2007
  3. BluLenin

BluLenin Member

Hi, I have spent most of the morning reading and playing with many of the suggestions in this thread. Having done so, I would agree with the last contributor that Sound Taxi is really easy to use and makes the conversion effortlessly. Just a bit of patience required for some of those large 7+ hour Audible files. Having done that then on to Goldwave to create the cue points. Many thanks to TimeKills back on page 12 for the clear Goldwave instructions.

However, for something new. The reason I have spent so long on this thread (By far the best I have found scattered over the web) is that I had discovered a limitation in my previous method of really rapid mp3 conversions by using a program called Noteburner http://www.noteburner.com/

This program adds a virtual CD to your computer and therefore Audible Manager (v4) then sees it as an alternative destination when you attempt to burn a file to CD within it. The result is that you have a complete and very fast mp3 conversion plus the added benefit of it already being split into 78 minute chunks as Disc 001, Disc 002, etc and then cued, courtesy of Audible Manager, exactly as if you had really burnt it onto a CD. Then as mp3 files they can be played where you want & how you want.

The problem I experienced with NoteBurner which caused me to go searching is the Audible block controlling how many times you can burn to CD, virtual or otherwise. Does anyone know of anyway to clear this restriction? It clearly is part of Audible's paranoia since if I have already burnt it once and I wanted to make multiple copies for distribution (which I don't) then all I would have to do is make direct CD to CD copies and I wouldn't be using Audible Manager again.

Cheers, and happy listening

4. krury

krury Member

I took a chance and bought Sound Taxi. It took about 2 hours to convert the unabridged "DaVinci Code"
    I then used Neros Waveditor and manually inputed tracks every ten minutes. I then told waveditor to save tracks as seperate mp3 files. It auto names track 1, track 2, etc.
    Although not lightning fast certainly faster than streaming the book for 18 hours and inserting tracks.
    I can now listen to my Audible books on my PSP!

I would give SoundTaxi a thumbs up!

5. Uranus1

Uranus1 Member

I have read every page of this thread (which I must say is very informative)because I was faced with putting about 43 hours of the Forsyte Saga on CD.
    Following the posts by Impresa & Krury, I have just bought a copy of Sound Taxi - it works well (.aa to MP3) and I am very pleased.

Thank you everyone

6. phil6254

phil6254 Member

Hi
    Having read the whole of this thread and being a bit backward about this stuff (for backward read old). I downloaded sound taxi. So simple a even 45 year old like could use it. Then downloaded "Slice Audio File Splitter" from NCH Swift Sound Software. This spilt the MP3 files into convenient 10 minute (adjustablke as you require) tracks.
    Can't wait to lie on a beach next week listenning to my books.

Thanks guys

7. playlist

playlist Member

I tried SoundTaxi, but it's having problems knowing when to stop. With most .aa files it counts up to 100% then keeps going. The status stops at 100%, but the output file grows to fill the hard drive unless I stop it sooner. I'll email the developers to see if there is a fix.

8. knipknup

knipknup Member

Hmm, soundtaxi didn't do this for me, it just converted the files. I am impressed. NCH sound is awesome too, I've used their dictation stuff for several years now with no problems - free too! They rock!

9. KatNap

KatNap Member

The message to delete the Temp folders was probably because you upgraded to IE7 - all you needed to do was re-install the audible download manager, not update to the new version of audible manager. The previous download manager was not compatible with IE7.

10. smhaynes

smhaynes Member

Well good news.

I've been watching this thread for a year now trying to see if someone can find an easy way to be able to take what you've legaly paid for and listen to it wherever you want.

Follow the steps posted in the below link and in 30 seconds you'll bypass DRM with perfect quality and be able to do whatever you want with what you leglly own!

http://julioangelortiz.net/?p=412

11. kjohn73

kjohn73 Member

After having purchased WMAConvert and having it not work, as well as reading through these 19 or so pages, then buying SoundTaxi and having it not work, I am at the end of the rope. I e-mailed SoundTaxi's help line and didn't get any help. All they did was to suggest I re-download and re-install etc, then they asked if Windows Media player would play the .aa files. It will. The trial version worked like a charm, but - of course - only for 30 seconds. Can anybody help me out here?? I will also be sending Audible.com a note to explain that I won't likely be purchasing any more of their books as I can't use any of my three MP3 players to listen to their protected files. I tried to download the Audible driver for my Creative MUVO 100 1GB and it stopped working altogether!! I was fortunate that BestBuy gave me a new one.

12. kjohn73

kjohn73 Member

I am trying to use the suggested method on at "julioangeloritz.net/?=412. I downloaded the older version of Audible Manager, but when I call for My Library, I get a message saying "Request cannot be fulfilled because there is no default browser". Can somebody help me out with this?? Thanks in advance. Ken Johnston

13. playlist

playlist Member

I reinstalled the Audible.com drivers for Windows Media Player and that seems to have fixed the problem with SoundTaxi.

14. smhaynes

smhaynes Member

If you're trying to locate your book files they are in Program files, and under audible, then downloads.

You should be able to find your files by doing a search in the new audible as well.

15. smhaynes

smhaynes Member

Sorry, above I said in the new audible. Not to confuse you I mean the older version you just downloaded you should be able to search for your book files to create a new library.

16. Imemine

Imemine Member

Also, you may be pleased to note that dMC has a utility codec available to split your resulting file into whatever sizes (by time) that you select. The overall process for a 10 hr book once you are set up and able to perform the conversion is under 30 minutes. I used a two-step process to transcode to WAV and then to WMA, resulting in a good quality audio file of about 90MB for a 10 hr book.

I would like to find a program that compresses the mp3 files like audible does. I know there has to be a program out there. I don't have a problem converting aa to mp3 but I'd like to keep the mp3 the same size as it was prior to converting. Anyone have any ideas?

thanks
    Marilene

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  17. Imemine

Imemine Member

Also, you may be pleased to note that dMC has a utility codec available to split your resulting file into whatever sizes (by time) that you select. The overall process for a 10 hr book once you are set up and able to perform the conversion is under 30 minutes. I used a two-step process to transcode to WAV and then to WMA, resulting in a good quality audio file of about 90MB for a 10 hr book.

Hey Yall,
    I would like to find a program that compresses the mp3 files like audible does. I know there has to be a program out there. I don't have a problem converting aa to mp3 but I'd like to keep the mp3 the same size as it was prior to converting. Anyone have any ideas?

thanks
    Marilene

18. markjs

markjs Member

I have NO clue what I am doing wrong but when I try to convert an .aa to .mp3 with Goldwave I get nothing but unrecognizeable garbage, and as far as I know I followed all the instructions! River Past doesnt do it either and when I try dBpowerAMP it tells me that I don't have the filter or the audio file is corrupt.....I got a free trial of Audible and can't use it and I'm pissed I wasted it and at wits end, can someone offer any suggestion?

PS The only thing that works at all is Soundtaxi 2.2 but as of now I can't afford it.....

19. kjohn73

kjohn73 Member

I bought the latest version of SoundTaxi and it doesn't convert .aa to .mp3.

20. krury

krury Member

I could not find my Version in Sound Taxi but it is only 3 weeks old. It converts my aa files with no problem. Maybe there is some other environmental problem on your PC stopping the process. Look in the conversion log to find out why they did not convert. You do need to supply soundtaxi with your aa Uname and Pword for the conversion to take place. Are the books your property?