1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .aa files to mp3's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by marcpod, Aug 24, 2004.

1. 2by4

2by4 Member

My Sound Taxi works,but only after I load the aa file 7 or 8 times.
    Then it takes hours, not minutes to convert, but it does work.

2. barlaa

barlaa Guest

BluLenin, you are right! SPAM works great, but i do not install Audible, i just use iTunes to burn virtual audio CD. It seems you need to multiples audio CDs(not virtual). I wonder if you can burn virtual CD, why need to burn multiple copies?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
  3. kjohn73

kjohn73 Member

krury: I do own the .aa files from Audible. What do you mean by me having to supply SoundTaxi my username and password? Is there a place to do that when I load SoundTaxi or do you mean I have to actually e-mail them? Where do I find the "conversion log"? Thanks in advance for any help. kjohn73

4. knipknup

knipknup Member

Don't email anyone your username and password. As far as soundtaxi, I did not have to enter anything that I can remember. Of course, that is a matter of my memory...

5. krury

krury Member

My memory might be faulty but I seem to remember ST asking me for my UName and PWord for AA the first time I ran it. Might have been another app. Sound Taxi help says if you can play them through Media Player it will convert. "Meaning you have rights to listen to them"

The conversion Log is in the \Program Files\SoundTaxi folder.

6. kjohn73

kjohn73 Member

Thanks for the input. I checked the "conversion log" - not a word in it, zero. I'll have to get my 'puter checked out. kjohn

7. DigidocTN

DigidocTN Member

Each person has their own way of doing things. Like many, I was seeking a way to convert my purchased AA files into standard MP3, so I can listen as I travel (my MP3 player can use CDr, flash drive, and SD memory cards). Here is my solution:

Use the audible software and download your files.
    Select your choice to burn to audio CDs
    For a recorder, choose the Image Recorder instead of an actual CDR.
    Audible and Nero then split this image into multiple chunks as needed.
    Mount these images using MagicISO as a virtual drive.
    Rip these audio files into MP3 using your favorite ripper.

This method is much faster than listening and capturing in real time. It also works better than the old trick of using RiverPast or Goldwave that was popular in 2004. The result is no more DRM, and a standard MP3 file.

8. jem7991

jem7991 Member

Hey Yall,
    I would like to find a program that compresses the mp3 files like audible does. I know there has to be a program out there. I don't have a problem converting aa to mp3 but I'd like to keep the mp3 the same size as it was prior to converting. Anyone have any ideas?

thanks
    Marilene
    [/quote]

If your using DBpoweramp converter just toggle the output the make the quality and bitrate slightly less.

9. kjohn73

kjohn73 Member

jem7991: Please tell us how you convert .aa to mp3.

10. knipknup

knipknup Member

When you say "choose the image recorder", what are you speaking of specifically, an option in Audible Manager, Nero or ??

11. DigidocTN

DigidocTN Member

Image recorder is an option you can choose in Nero. It makes a .NRG or a .ISO image file instead of physically burning an audio CD. You can then mount this image file as a pseudo CD by using the program MagicISO.

12. jem7991

jem7991 Member

Thats how i do it, please read the forums before asking.

13. jem7991

jem7991 Member

Please note: The link to DBpoweramp music converter doesnt work but if you google it you can find it easily..

Enjoy

14. jem7991

jem7991 Member

15. kjohn73

kjohn73 Member

jem7991: I did search the forum as best I could and came up with this thread. Sorry to have troubled you.//

I will not likely be buying any more Audible books, so I won't need to concern myself with trying to accomplish any "conversions". The one book I did buy is 37 hours, and I will listen to it at my computer station. I will support other, more friendly groups that sell user friendly books. kjohn73

16. rrb11

rrb11 Member

River Past Audio is dead. If you upgrade to Internet Explower 7 Audible Manager will not download the aa files. Upgrading to the new Audible Manager kill the Windows Media player codelit Audible program. River Past Audio won't work any more. Well the fix is WMAConverter.exe. This program will convert .aa file to mp3 files and you can go any where with then you won't to. At Afterdawn search on aa converter. Program cost about $15.00. Works very well with .wma and .aa files proble all the rest, I have only tested these two file types. Have fun

17. ffamas

ffamas Guest

I have been playing with conversion of audibles aa's to mp3 for only a week. Had success with the burn to image then rip the image to mp3's. Functional but a pain.

I had better success using WMA convert amd windows media player 10. Takes a long time but worked great.

Then I had a hard drive faliure and had to reinstall XP. Got Xp reloaded and installed all software I had before but I cannot get WMP 10 to play .aa files anymore.

WMA convert requires WMP to play these aa's to convert to mp3's.

Am I missing something or has audible stopped WMP 10 from playing their files?

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

ffamas..sounds like U lost some codecs..just my 2cents..I would partition my hard drive 10gig [10240Meg Bytes] primary.install windows their,all other programs on secondary..At least this way U know what U got,& the likely hood of getting everything back working is easier to figure out.Once Yuo have everything the way U want it,use GHOST to to back it up [C:]..I did'nt say back-up HDD..I said use ghost to!!!

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

ffamas..sounds like U lost some codecs..just my 2cents..I would partition my hard drive 10gig [10240Meg Bytes] primary.install windows their,all other programs on secondary..At least this way U know what U got,& the likely hood of getting everything back working is easier to figure out.Once Yuo have everything the way U want it,use GHOST to to back it up [C:]..I did'nt say back-up HDD..I said use ghost to!!!

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

ffamas..sounds like U lost some codecs..just my 2cents..I would partition my hard drive 10gig [10240Meg Bytes] primary[Partition Magic].Then install windows their,all other programs on secondary..At least this way U know what U got,& the likely hood of getting everything back working is easier to figure out.Once Yuo have everything the way U want it,use GHOST to to back it up [C:]..I did'nt say back-up HDD..I said use ghost to!!!